HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

everything is good. but quite expensive I think...

You can find my detailed review here: http://keepcalmandwander.com/jail-hostel-in-ottawa-review/

The hostel was fun because of the location and the staff was great. Breakfast was very good also. The only complaint I would have was that the mattress on my bunk - 6th floor, room 3, bed 5, was very uncomfortable.

If you want the experience of sleeping in an old prision, this is the right place to stay. The noise from outside is really a problem and the doors of the cell have entries where the light came in to oir eyesçd

Really loved it, that you. :D

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed your time in jail!

Not enough (or inexistant) wifi coverage upstairs

Hello Adrien: Thanks for your review. i am working very hard on getting Rogers into the hostel and hope to have something sorted this summer. it is one of our top two priorities to improving the guest experience.

A trully amazing place, must see for sure (even if a little expensive, but that's Ottawa ...)

I enjoyed my brief stay. Was a disappointed at whomever (female patron) who deposited her bowel contents in the toilet and plugged the toilet leaving a disgusting and gross mess and, did not bother to tell staff so they could take care of the problem.

• 30th Apr 2015

POOR Wifi condition, hard to climb to 2nd floor bed! There is only one bar to step up to the 2nd floor. The door lock system is not automatic so people in my roon rarely locked the door. Good place and good people though.

Hello: Thanks for your review. i agree our Wi-fi sucks. I am working very hard on getting a new internet supplier into the hostel and hopefully it will be improved before the summer. The best places to get a good signal would be in the reception and the level 2. We are also working on the locks on the rooms. if you want to ensure your security, I would suggest one of our authentic single jail cells, as it is not much more than a dorm room and it has a lock on the door. Thx

A fun, unique & sociable hostel, I recommend this place to anyone! It's very well set out and in a great location. It is important to note that noise from the party & music in the bar downstairs travels very easily to the cells upstairs, so if a peaceful night's sleep is what you're after, maybe this place isn't for you (however they do have earplugs available at reception). If that doesn't worry you, then do yourself a favour and stay here.

Very poor wfi in room in bed dont work and excelent location people on the desko gloor very good )

We loved the Ottawa Jail hostel, the building is full of character, and our room was warm, spacious, comfortable and cheap! Our only complaint was the mysterious banging of the pipes in the middle of the night (I guess that explains the ear plugs that were provided in our room). Also the shower is okay if you like showering under a hose. At least the water was hot and the bathroom was clean :)

Pros: They staff were great at every opportunity, hugely helpful and friendly going above and beyond the required. I can't credit them enough. The hostel is well managed and organised. It's clean and you'll get a decent breakfast, adequate but not amazing. The hostel looks great on the inside and I enjoyed the novelty of a jail/hostel. Cons: I found the cells smaller than I'd expected and they got quite hot at night and the WiFi wasnt great from the cell, it's perfect everywhere else though.

• 13th Apr 2015

Just booking it!! It was just perfect hostel that i ever been before!!! Just awesome!!

The employees were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area ( Jeff was very kind to keep our bags due to arriving too early while we explored the area)

nice experience especially the room for 6 is big enough not to feel in Jail ;-)

Really cool hostel - the showers are very nice and the beds comfy. However the cells are very warm and with poor air circulation. It was low season when I went so I can't comment on the atmosphere usually bit it was very quiet.

The staff are actually incredible! They are friendly and very helpful. Really impressed. There is a locked room behind reception where you can leave belongings during the day, which was a life saver for me, with my violin and all. In my dorm (female 4 bed), the window is not sound proof by any means, so don't let some weird sounding creaky noises freak you out, like I did :P WiFi was best on the 7th floor.

This old jail is definitely worth a visit. For the hostels lack of amenities it's a bit overpriced, though. I didn't even have one of those cells but a normal room. It was more comfortable, but not the experience I expected. The building itself is spooky and I totally enjoyed the hostel's free jail tour at 11am.

Traveled all over Asia. Would have liked more shelves in the shower area. The rack in 405 was not completely screwed into the wall. Otherwise it was good value for money in Canada. Please post the non-member price though, it is deceiving. The price quoted on Hostel World is only for members of some hostel organization, not for regular guests.