HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Calm n quiet place. Excellent combination of morning breakfast. Nearby big market place n bus stoppages. Exciting places Canada's proud Parliament, Rideau canal. Nearby site seeing tour location. Overall marvelous, I love it.

Although the staff are very friendly and helpful, the beds are not comfortable and I found it difficult to fall asleep.

• 4th Oct 2014

The one-bed cells caused me to become claustrophobic for the first time in my life, i.e. wall, bed, wall , 4 ft., door. They then gave me a 2 bed room with more space and the rest of my stay was fun

• 29th Sep 2014

good location

I was in a private room which was spacious. The others from my tour stayed in the dorm cells which were pretty claustrophobic.

Nice hostel, unique atmosphere, do the jail tour! Not good for people who believe in ghosts - really, 3 people were hanged there. Was in a 4 bed room (not cell). There was no wifi up there. Only in other floors or stairs. The washrooms where plenty, i had not to wait. Breakfast was ok. The city is very close. 10 minutes to parliament hill. Right on the other side of the street is a shopping mall with a lot of food options. No evelator. I would come again

Everything was so so... but only two shower booths for a number of girls and... it smelled bad also

Thanks for your feedback. All comments are important as it helps us improve. We have corrected the number of female showers by converting some male showers into female on the fourth and five floors. In addition, we found that the cleaning materials we were using would generate a strong and unpleasant odour if mixed incorrectly, so we have changed them to remove that odour. Thanks,

Hostel for all age group.Marvelous location with excellent and cordial staff including all facilities.I loved the surrounding environment.I liked the menus of lovely breakfast. I wished to visit again.

Thanks for your feedback. We try and provide a great experience for our guests.

Great atmosphere ,staff lovely

I chose to ignore the reviews saying the bar gets crazy loud at night and I definitely regretted it. You could hear EVERYTHING. Even when you were 6 floors up. That being said, the fact it used to be a jail was super cool and the staff was very friendly. And it was in a pretty good location. It's a solidly okay place.

• 13th Sep 2014

I liked the concept of the 'jail' but generally felt the vibe of the hostel was quite dull. Also felt pretty dated and needed work.. my room (patrick on 9th) had plastic windows that were held on with tape.. one of them fell off in the night. Showers were terrible, and too far from 9th floor.. as were toilets. I expected better for the price.. and was kind of glad to leave.. sorry.

The Hostel is good to live the experience, but personally I could not sleep. The atmosphere is very weird and scary. Juan, the spanish guy in the reception is amazing. He helps a lot.

Thanks for your feedback. Juan will be very happy to hear the positive feedback. Although we try and make the hostel as friendly and fun as we can, for some people, it is just too scary. Greg

Wifi works only in common room. It's at best slow. Breakfast is ok. Rooms very averages. Top floors have limited bathrooms.

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard on improving our wi-fi signal in the building. It can be challenging sometimes as the building itself is all stone and brick. We are planning on improving the bathrooms on the top floors, but there are plenty of showers and bathrooms on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th floors, so there is only a short walk from the 9th floor to appropriate bathrooms.

What this hostel really needs is a warning on their single rooms about claustrophobia!! The single rooms are old -style drum cells and are NOT designed for anything other than sleeping in! The people at the front desk were civil but not particularly friendly. I didn't get to breakfast so can't comment but a little more interaction from the staff would have been nice. All in all, location good, sleep good provided you're not claustrophobic, and staff ok but not great.

Hello Kerry: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the authentic single Jail cells are small and they re not for everyone. We do identify the size of the rooms in all booking engines that they are 3' by 9', but they provide a great jail experience for people who want to know what the former prisoners would've felt like. It's too bad you were unable to eat the breakfast, it is delicious and would've been a great start to your day. The Manager

Pretty Awesome getting to spend a couple of nights in Jail. Good Social Hostel easy to meet people. Conveniently located - close to pretty much everything you need, most of the things to see and do! Great Atmosphere - little bit creepy as well being in a Jail Cell. Walking tour was kool. Bar downstairs was a bit pricey. Staff are really Friendly!

One of the more fun hostels to stay in. If you get a bit nervous in confined spaces then maybe not for you. They do cram a few bunks in and when the door closes it is a bit stifling. And I can only imagine it would be worse in summer. But showers, brekky and wifi all good.

Staying in a jail cell is an experience but as a result rooms and the building in general are very cramped, would stay for the experience but wouldn't stay again. Had a free walking tour of the city and tour of the jail. Complementary breakfast of bagels, fruit and cereal. Booked into a female only dorm but ended up with a man in the room. Good location in an easy walk to the main attractions. Wifi signal was not good and not accessible from cells.

• 1st Sep 2014
  • cshroff
  • Wales

I've been just one day in one of these small individual rooms. What can I say, the price that u are paying fits in the room that you have. So, no complaints because I knew it was spaceless. If I wanted more space it would have me cost a lot of more money. All it has a price. Anyway, if you dont have problem of claustrofobia and you want to go in a not luxurious way, that is a good solution. Found in a 2-5 min from Wellingon St ( the main st).The breakfast was ok, and customer service perfect.

It was awsome! Kindness of staff, they do have lock at door, everything was nice! It is reasonable!

Except one the staff was not very helpfull. We had booked a private room that in the pictures online seemed to be nice but it was very small, had NO windows and the door had still the bars so that it was partly open out to the hall. Bath and toilet are not clean. The jail hostel sure feels like being in prison.