HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

staff were really nice and always ready for helping~^_^ Love them~

The breakfast was fantastic: eggs, bagels, fruit - most hostels, including HI's charge for that! I had a pretty good experience but was told by the people that stayed in the 'cells' that it was really loud and cramped in there. I wasn't given a choice of what kind of room I wanted but could have probably switched if I'd known an actual cell was an option.

Horrible horrible one, OMG, I will never step in ever again! Dirty pillow, around 30 people waiting for a single washroom, staff not helping, noisy during the night. I mean terribly noisy!!!!!!!!!!!! Some construction wake me up 3 o'clock in the morning, 4 o'clock again, and then the traffic come you will be awake for a whole F night. Worst ever! If you interested in jail, come to visit. Stay here only if you want to commit a crime, it will be a warning for you.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • China

Rooms for a single person are too small and it was hard to breath...

• 15th Oct 2014

Guests where not talkative so didnt create a great atmosphere - even a simple hello seemed like hard work :-( big shame. Jail tour was interesting. Breakfast was very simple and not much available the two times we went. Room was clean but paid for a private deluxe but nothing deluxe about it, standard room and very small. Good location.

• 12th Oct 2014

I came to the hostel and the special jail cell that I was supposed to sleep in had been booked out, so they gave me an 8 bed dorm for myself, which I think was a really fair gesture. The hostel was great, clean, awesome people, kitchen facilities and in a perfect location! Would definitely recommend this hostel!!

Calm n quiet place. Excellent combination of morning breakfast. Nearby big market place n bus stoppages. Exciting places Canada's proud Parliament, Rideau canal. Nearby site seeing tour location. Overall marvelous, I love it.

Although the staff are very friendly and helpful, the beds are not comfortable and I found it difficult to fall asleep.

• 4th Oct 2014

The one-bed cells caused me to become claustrophobic for the first time in my life, i.e. wall, bed, wall , 4 ft., door. They then gave me a 2 bed room with more space and the rest of my stay was fun

• 29th Sep 2014

good location

I was in a private room which was spacious. The others from my tour stayed in the dorm cells which were pretty claustrophobic.

Nice hostel, unique atmosphere, do the jail tour! Not good for people who believe in ghosts - really, 3 people were hanged there. Was in a 4 bed room (not cell). There was no wifi up there. Only in other floors or stairs. The washrooms where plenty, i had not to wait. Breakfast was ok. The city is very close. 10 minutes to parliament hill. Right on the other side of the street is a shopping mall with a lot of food options. No evelator. I would come again

Everything was so so... but only two shower booths for a number of girls and... it smelled bad also

Thanks for your feedback. All comments are important as it helps us improve. We have corrected the number of female showers by converting some male showers into female on the fourth and five floors. In addition, we found that the cleaning materials we were using would generate a strong and unpleasant odour if mixed incorrectly, so we have changed them to remove that odour. Thanks,

Hostel for all age group.Marvelous location with excellent and cordial staff including all facilities.I loved the surrounding environment.I liked the menus of lovely breakfast. I wished to visit again.

Thanks for your feedback. We try and provide a great experience for our guests.

Great atmosphere ,staff lovely

I chose to ignore the reviews saying the bar gets crazy loud at night and I definitely regretted it. You could hear EVERYTHING. Even when you were 6 floors up. That being said, the fact it used to be a jail was super cool and the staff was very friendly. And it was in a pretty good location. It's a solidly okay place.

• 13th Sep 2014

I liked the concept of the 'jail' but generally felt the vibe of the hostel was quite dull. Also felt pretty dated and needed work.. my room (patrick on 9th) had plastic windows that were held on with tape.. one of them fell off in the night. Showers were terrible, and too far from 9th floor.. as were toilets. I expected better for the price.. and was kind of glad to leave.. sorry.

The Hostel is good to live the experience, but personally I could not sleep. The atmosphere is very weird and scary. Juan, the spanish guy in the reception is amazing. He helps a lot.

Thanks for your feedback. Juan will be very happy to hear the positive feedback. Although we try and make the hostel as friendly and fun as we can, for some people, it is just too scary. Greg

Wifi works only in common room. It's at best slow. Breakfast is ok. Rooms very averages. Top floors have limited bathrooms.

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard on improving our wi-fi signal in the building. It can be challenging sometimes as the building itself is all stone and brick. We are planning on improving the bathrooms on the top floors, but there are plenty of showers and bathrooms on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th floors, so there is only a short walk from the 9th floor to appropriate bathrooms.

What this hostel really needs is a warning on their single rooms about claustrophobia!! The single rooms are old -style drum cells and are NOT designed for anything other than sleeping in! The people at the front desk were civil but not particularly friendly. I didn't get to breakfast so can't comment but a little more interaction from the staff would have been nice. All in all, location good, sleep good provided you're not claustrophobic, and staff ok but not great.

Hello Kerry: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the authentic single Jail cells are small and they re not for everyone. We do identify the size of the rooms in all booking engines that they are 3' by 9', but they provide a great jail experience for people who want to know what the former prisoners would've felt like. It's too bad you were unable to eat the breakfast, it is delicious and would've been a great start to your day. The Manager