HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

The hostel is unique, a very different stay. I would recommend it.

• 7th Jun 2014

Perfect location right in the centre of Ottawa.I booked a single cell and it was really small - space for one bed and a small luggage. It might be a problem for some people with claustrophobic problems. Also, next door is a very popular club so it is quiet noisy until early morning hours. Don't forget the earplugs. Otherwise it was a nice stay.

Great price for the location and nights to stay. Watch out the little bugs that may appear on the arch wall

Very good location and clean. The setting is wonderful, It is a former jail!!!

Good job,keep going

I was sleeping, or at least trying to, on the sixth level and didn't appreciate being forced to listen to blaring music from the hostel pub up until 2:00am. And I'm sure I speak on behalf of other runners who were in town for the Ottawa Marathon weekend, and staying at the Hy hostel.

• 24th May 2014

Nice atmosphere! Shame the 'cells' are the most expensive rooms so I ended up staying in a normal dorm. Toilets were not on my floor and the showers were not very clean. But the atmosphere is great a bit creapy but thats exactly what you're looking for in a Jail Hostel! Also they serve a free breakfast that has bagels, several spreads, cereals, eggs, coffee, tea and juices!

Close to the river and the canal. Helpful staff. Clean dorms. Not enough shower/bathroom tho.

I really liked my stay here. The best thing was the free breakfast, fresh pineapples, eggs and bagels, mmm. I also went for a free jail tour, it was very interesting. The kitchen was very good and the staff was very helpful. I would stay here again and would definitely recommend it!

There was a hair dryer for borrowing from the reception. However, it can't be used, because it has a British plug and the reception doesn't have a plug transfer. Moreover, the pillows in the room are unclean.

• 18th May 2014

Changed rooms twice, after learning our room was locked and even staff couldn't open. WiFi was good!!!!

Great location at a reasonable price with a decent breakfast. Clean rooms and linen. It's cool to sleep in a refurbished jail cell. But shower were gross. The drains clearly had not been cleaned for a while and water backed up quickly.

This hostel is super cool. Amazing location, 5 minutes from parliament. The staff were very helpful! The breakfast was awesome since there was fresh fruit! Thanks for a good stay.

The single-bed jail cells were a cool concept, I enjoyed the privacy and the freedom to lock my door and leave for the day knowing all my stuff was safe. The open bars at the top and bottom of the door should really be covered, as the hallways are extremely noisy, and a conversation three or four cells down can be heard crystal clear. The kitchen was nice and clean, breakfast was pretty good, staff friendly. Wifi coverage was very patchy, and really needs to be extended to the dining area.

Such a awesome hostel! Staff was kind and the breakfast was free everyday. Frequently they open the bar with live music that is also good. And of course you can feel like you're actually behind bars!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Japan

A few good points, it is very quirky and the location is excellent on the bad side - given the construction of the cells noise carries across cells very easily - the top bunk bed was very noisy - the rooms were small rooms and single rooms are just single cells - parking is first come first served and is limited to around 6 spaces and you permit from reception - the bar closed with no warning for a private function - breakfast starts at 0830 - the staff were pretty unhelpful

They thought I'd checked out so they gave a room key to some new arrivals in the middle of the night. They then came in multiple times to check I'd actually booked for the full stay, luckily I had proof - otherwise I may have been out on my ear!

• 24th Apr 2014

This is really a jail ! You will stay stucked on a cell. This is not good for claustrophobic people. Not worth the money

Great hostel

Good complete breakfast (something that you rarely see in hostels) Original atmosphere : Worth a visit!!!