HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

It's worth a visit, because it is a prison.

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Switzerland

The hostel itself is cool, unfortunately the guy we got had treated us like we were annoying him for even stepping through the door, first couldn't find our booking, then the price was more than quoted, then given the wrong room had to come back down change. Other staff members were amazing (maybe he just had a bad night). The hostel has cool tours, and has a very good location. You won't get much sleep as u can here everyone in the other cells. It's more about the experience in a jail.

Hi: Thanks for your comment. I am sorry that you did not have the best first experience in jail, but glad to hear that other staff made up for the errors on the first night. yes, the noise does travel on the cell floors and we are working hard to figure out how to reduce or eliminate that issue. Thanks again, Greg

Great experience, even greater breakfast and really friendly staff! Not always informed about all the announced activities (like the tour to the supreme court that does not exist in winter) but always helpful and easy to get everything such as skates for very good value to go ice skating on the canal. Can definitely be recommended!

The location is awesome. I just needed a place to sleep so the cell room was ok for me. It was clean and cozy… at least, I didn’t see spiders in the corners of the cell or had problems with bedbugs, which was my most fearful concern. Well, these comments are based on my personal experience and from a specific period of time, which was in the middle of a winter season, where few people travel. I can’t imagine how this place may be during summer season and, particularly, during Canada Day.

I had a great time! I really enjoyed the breakfast and talking to the staff. The location was also better than expected. Only thing: a picture of the single bed room should be on the webside, so that people can see how small that "room" is.

• 30th Jan 2014

I would recommend this hostel however I booked a single room online not realising it was an old single jail cell with very little room (no room next to bed). Although the staff were very accomodating and allowed me to change rooms, i think this should be made more clear when booking (ie pictures) as it may not be so easy to change rooms in high tourism season. Also it was not ideal that the bathrooms and toilets were located on a different floor, down a daark hallway at night.

• 30th Jan 2014