HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Hostel for all age group.Marvelous location with excellent and cordial staff including all facilities.I loved the surrounding environment.I liked the menus of lovely breakfast. I wished to visit again.

Thanks for your feedback. We try and provide a great experience for our guests.

Great atmosphere ,staff lovely

I chose to ignore the reviews saying the bar gets crazy loud at night and I definitely regretted it. You could hear EVERYTHING. Even when you were 6 floors up. That being said, the fact it used to be a jail was super cool and the staff was very friendly. And it was in a pretty good location. It's a solidly okay place.

• 13th Sep 2014

I liked the concept of the 'jail' but generally felt the vibe of the hostel was quite dull. Also felt pretty dated and needed work.. my room (patrick on 9th) had plastic windows that were held on with tape.. one of them fell off in the night. Showers were terrible, and too far from 9th floor.. as were toilets. I expected better for the price.. and was kind of glad to leave.. sorry.

The Hostel is good to live the experience, but personally I could not sleep. The atmosphere is very weird and scary. Juan, the spanish guy in the reception is amazing. He helps a lot.

Thanks for your feedback. Juan will be very happy to hear the positive feedback. Although we try and make the hostel as friendly and fun as we can, for some people, it is just too scary. Greg

Wifi works only in common room. It's at best slow. Breakfast is ok. Rooms very averages. Top floors have limited bathrooms.

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard on improving our wi-fi signal in the building. It can be challenging sometimes as the building itself is all stone and brick. We are planning on improving the bathrooms on the top floors, but there are plenty of showers and bathrooms on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th floors, so there is only a short walk from the 9th floor to appropriate bathrooms.

What this hostel really needs is a warning on their single rooms about claustrophobia!! The single rooms are old -style drum cells and are NOT designed for anything other than sleeping in! The people at the front desk were civil but not particularly friendly. I didn't get to breakfast so can't comment but a little more interaction from the staff would have been nice. All in all, location good, sleep good provided you're not claustrophobic, and staff ok but not great.

Hello Kerry: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the authentic single Jail cells are small and they re not for everyone. We do identify the size of the rooms in all booking engines that they are 3' by 9', but they provide a great jail experience for people who want to know what the former prisoners would've felt like. It's too bad you were unable to eat the breakfast, it is delicious and would've been a great start to your day. The Manager

1 2 3 Next » last »