HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

Loved my stay. This was my first experience at a hostel, and I recommend it to everyone.

• 30th May 2015

I had a great stay at the hostel, what a creative/smart use of the historical building! it was very good experience to stay at the hostel; staff was super friendly and they were very knowledgeable about the city and were able to help with directions and etc.

• 20th May 2015
  • Russia

Thanks for the review. My staff and I are very happy you enjoyed your stay in Jail!

thus place us awesome lets start by the obvious. the place is clean showers, beds are perfect. the staff is amazing! they will make you feel at home and if you hang out with them you will also make some amazing friend. the bar is wicked and a good place to hang out. the hostel is located next to a shopping centre and some of ottawa most beautiful walks/ monuments. a 100% the best hostel ever. 😆😆😆

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Jail!

We were there with a friend just for a night and it was fun. Not the best place for a great, long night (you can ear everything that happen in the hallway, the showers as well), but I totally recommand it ! Very clean and unusual.

Its nothing special. Not aweful but overpriced for the facilities offered. No inside hangout spaces for guests to meet. Very quiet hostel. Not ideal for solo traveler. For the first time in a hostel i was lonely.Very very small spaces. Felt kind of dingy. Wouldn't stay again.

• 17th May 2015
  • Kenya

The breakfast could be improved.

• 15th May 2015
  • Singapore

Very noisy, needed ear plugs to be able to sleep

Beware the noise. Noise in an old stone building is unavoidable. However the bar making the floors shake until 2am is. This should be a hostel with a bar attached, but it felt like the hostel residents were an after thought to the bars music (didn't help that the music was terrible). I have to add that the building is really incredible and very atmospheric place to say. And the reception staff are excellent, especially the two girls (sorry never got their names).

The hostel is very well located and has good facilities. The breakfast is good, with beagles every day, cereals, milk, coffee and juice. I stay in a 8 bed room which size was fine but it only has a small window which make the room quite dark and difficult to ventilate. The showers were very good, always with hot water. The only drawback was that I book a 4 bed room and they put me in an 8 bed room because the have overbooked.

one of the most awesome hostels I've stayed in

Understandable given the building, but I wish the wifi worked in the room/cell. Only downside I could find.

Very cool hostel, but can get pretty toasty in the rooms!

Thanks for the comment. The weather this year has been very challenging and we had to keep the heater on longer than normal because to restart it takes up to three days! We have finally turned it off and we are installing air conditioners in all the room sin the front of the building. the cells are in pretty good shape as the stone keeps the rooms pretty comfortable at night.

everything is good. but quite expensive I think...

You can find my detailed review here: http://keepcalmandwander.com/jail-hostel-in-ottawa-review/

The hostel was fun because of the location and the staff was great. Breakfast was very good also. The only complaint I would have was that the mattress on my bunk - 6th floor, room 3, bed 5, was very uncomfortable.

If you want the experience of sleeping in an old prision, this is the right place to stay. The noise from outside is really a problem and the doors of the cell have entries where the light came in to oir eyesçd

Really loved it, that you. :D

Thanks I am glad you enjoyed your time in jail!

Not enough (or inexistant) wifi coverage upstairs

Hello Adrien: Thanks for your review. i am working very hard on getting Rogers into the hostel and hope to have something sorted this summer. it is one of our top two priorities to improving the guest experience.

A trully amazing place, must see for sure (even if a little expensive, but that's Ottawa ...)

I enjoyed my brief stay. Was a disappointed at whomever (female patron) who deposited her bowel contents in the toilet and plugged the toilet leaving a disgusting and gross mess and, did not bother to tell staff so they could take care of the problem.

• 30th Apr 2015