HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel Reviews

75 Nicholas Street, Ontario, Ottawa, Canada

awesome breakfast and nice experiance to sleep in a jail

Look a little bit claustrophobic was fun though to sleep there

My booking was messed up because the room I booked on hostelworld wasn't actually available in the hostel. The hostel offerred me another two rooms. I chose one of the rooms and they said it wasn't available. (This was a long back and forth as we were travelling around at the time). Finally we ended up with a room with more than enough space which was good.

• 10th Jul 2014

Place was really cool and unique! However, it was extremely hot in the room we stayed in. It was on the top floor. Apart from that the stay was perfect.

• 9th Jul 2014

Nice hostel, the atmosphere is original. I was however quite disapointed by the hostel's booking system and the quality of the reception. I initially booked and paid the deposit for 2 rooms, but when we arrived, only 1 room was available. The lady at the desk barely apologized and could only suggest us extra beds in a dorm. After some confusing "explanation", we ended up paying for 1 room and beds in a dorm (with the deposit amount I initially paid not being deducted).

Enjoyed our stay and highly recommend hostel to other travelers. Central location is excellent, prison atmosphere is cool (not spooky but it makes for some neat photos), and facilities are clean and include kitchen, laundry, common room, and a bar (Mugshots, seemingly very popular not only among hostel guests). As a "warning": We had booked a "cell" and got "upgraded" into a suite with its own bathroom. While convenient, there is no "prison cell" feeling to these rooms - if that's what you want.

The hostel is in a good location in the center of town, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. The hostel itself is a rather unique and an interesting experience. Their is a possible noise issue during the night since the rooms have open air vents to a common corridor.

nice clean showers. no air conditioning and it was 25-30 degrees celsius and i wanted to die.

Great location, good breakfast, very friendly staff and clean. It is an interesting experience to stay in a jail ;-) But the music at the bar at night till 3 in the morning is incredible loud. No chance to sleep even if you are wearing earplugs.

A good hostel, beware of the light coming in the jail rooms when trying to sleep, and one side of the building is a lot quieter at night! But a good hostel, guy on reception was great at moving me to a different room so that I could meet people! A good breakfast too which is a great start to the day!

This place is like an attraction itself more then a hostel. It is different experience to sleep in an old cell where the doors are in thick steal and the corridors is long and sad. See full review at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155004-d253895-r213928093-HI_Ottawa_Jail_Hostel-Ottawa_Ontario.htm

Very good location, but one problem: On weekends it is very noisy up to 2am because of a karaoke-bar next to the hostel. There should be some "noise-protecting" elements between.

1 2 3 4 Next » last »