HI - Portland Hawthorne Hostel Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

For the high price and limited options in Portland, I expected a lot more from this hostel. I booked a small, all-male dorm which turned out to be a huge open room full of people of mixed-gender. Totally open and not secure. Beds absolutely awful, loud creaky door that slammed all night, atrocious shower facilities. Girl working there was lovely but the guy was an absolutely douche. Aircon on constantly on very low so hostel was freezing most of the time. Airbnb or hotel would have been better.

Wonderful hostel at my favorite neighborhood in Portland. Free breakfast, free coffee and tea all day, great space to hang out outside, comfy beds, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere. Grocery store and direct bus to downtown 2 minutes walking from the front door. Will come back!

Awesome place to stay! Loved the neighbourhood. Would totally stay again.

The female manager had a confrontation with a guest in the common room and kitchen. This made me feel very uncomfortable as I was sitting at the table eating my breakfast. I felt the issue should have been dealt with in the office or at least at the desk away from the common area. I felt very intimidated by this manager and did not voice my discomfort.

• 1st Jul 2015

Hello, I'm sorry you felt you had bad experience with the Hostel Services Manager. I wasn't present for the issue with the other guest, but from what I heard (there was another staff present the also heard the conversation) it was a security issue that the guest wasn't being forthcoming with his actions and misrepresented what he did. I apologize that you had to experience this first hand and this made you feel uncomfortable. We'll keep that in mind in the future. Take Care,Hostel Manager

Great facilities, great location, great atmosphere, and helpful staff--pretty much all of the things I look for in a hostel. I will definitely be coming back.

The dorm is too cold to sleep

Make a drinking space!

Please let people drink outside!!

Pretty much a standard HI hostel, nothing special, nothing bad. It's a pity that this hostel doesn't have a good bar nearby as you can't drink here. Only other complaint would be that there's usually no free coffee left in the evening. Kitchen is a little small too I suppose.

Nice hostel, safe and nicely decorated. Would be better with more bathrooms and showers.

• 24th May 2015

It is a pricey hostel

• 23rd May 2015

nice staff, they always know what's going on in the city, where to go and where the parties are.

Very clean. Had a real b&b feel. Also had great events overall my best experience at an American hostel

Lovely, small hostel meaning it is easier to interact with others.

• 6th May 2015

great place in a great neighborhood. first time staying in an american hostel, but it was great and still had that international-backpacker traveler feel. i came back a second time when i swung through portland again a few days later.

If you want to experience the cool/hip part of Portland, then this hostel is in the perfect location! So many cool cafes/bars/thrift stores in the area. The hostel is small and intimate, which makes it easy to meet new people. I also enjoyed the green/eco vibe about this hostel. One criticism, is the presence of a bright green EXIT sign in my dorm, which could get a tad irritating. But other then that I had no complaints, and everything else was spot on.

Very nice, quiet. Great location! Staff was friendly and offered great tips!

• 25th Mar 2015

A bit pricey. Overall its ur average hostel. Th location is not near downtown/city center. Theyre a pretty environmentally hipster hostel. Only thing i would stay is the staff seemed annoyed the day i came in, like they were annoyed with questions being asked and did t really show u things/facilities; i figured it out myself. Clean and has phone and computer u can use

Well stocked kitchen and appliances. Breakfast was poor, due to lack of fruit, bread and juices. Hostel was in a nice area, however it was quite a walk from downtown. Plesant hostel.

I really like what they have done in terms of sustainability and retrofitting the older house to be very "green." The location is awesome! The Hawthorne neighborhood was really neat! I do have to mention that the staff seemed annoyed when I asked questions about what to do in the area and in Portland(mostly friendly, just not excited about their jobs). There was only one shower per floor (I believe); they didn't really give an in depth tour upon arrival.