HI - Portland Hawthorne Hostel Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

Great service, accommodations, and location. Thank you!

I liked this hostel! It's a little bit away from downtown but the neighborhood is nice and interesting. I would bring my own lock for the lockers, but they will rent a lock to you. I only stayed for one night, but everything was OK.

Staff here are really helpful and willing to help you out! Thanks a lot, Eddie! My sleeping bag will be with me in camp in the following week~

Really cool, funky hostel located in the quaint, adorable Hawthorne neighborhood. The 14 bus stops right outside the hostel and is a 20 minute ride to Pioneer Square. Staff were helpful and did an amazing job keeping the hostel clean. Free basic breakfast. A short walk to cafés, vintage stores, and nightlife. Would definitely stay here again!

It was interesting being in a room that you had to access through another room, but it's always a surprise what you get when staying in a hostel. The house was nice and very earth-friendly. Even though there were only 2 showers I didn't have to wait to use them. The location was great, super easy to get downtown and in a fun quiet neighbourhood. Staff was friendly as well. I would stay here again.

The staff was super friendly!! The location was also awesome, because SE Hawthorne street has a lot of shops and good food to offer. The beds are not very comfy, but hey you get what you pay for! I would definitely stay there again.

• 19th Jun 2014

Need to reinforce cleanliness among those staying at the hostel. House was smaller than I envisioned for that many people staying there.

• 17th Jun 2014

I was very impressed by this hostel. It was the first one I have stayed in in the US and I was concerned about security and the facilities, thinking there wasn't as much a culture of travel in this country so the hostels may be under-par. That was not the case with this hostel. The staff was accomodating and friendly, very knowledgable about the area. Great location, just outside of the downtown area (so quiet) but an easy walk. Secure, clean, nice facilities. I'd definitely recommend this hotel

I had a good time. Everyone was really relaxed, but still willing to help you plan your stay in Portland. The walls were lined with information about what is currently going on that day as well as information about different attractions around the cite.

The big shared table makes it easy to meet people. Bikes are great! The conscious Eco approach is inspiring. And in general is an amazing place to stay...a couple of gripes I have are.....Some of the staff seem a bit grumpy...downstairs has no windows so is very dark so you will need a torch to get up in the morning!! All in all a great stay. Thanks.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

A lovely hostel. Nice location out of the immediate downtown area but with frequent buses across the bridge. Close to groceries and bars etc. Great kitchen, free pancakes for breakfast and sometimes bread. Clean, good sized rooms and bathrooms. Really helpful staff. Only downside was we were woken up 2 nights by people arriving at 2-3am!

The hostel was OK. Quite small, it looked like a house that someone converted into a hostel. Staff were helpful and the place had character but not a lot was going on there.

Bus stop was near there so it was really easy to move. Quite old but location, facilities were good. If you don't have international hostel membership, maybe you need to pay more but it won't be bad choice. It has worth.

A lovely hostel in a cute neighbourhood. A bit further from downtown than I would usually prefer, but the bus makes it easy to get around. Free pancake mix is also fun

Great helpful staff. Thanks for upgrading us with no hassle.

Would have been nice to have free bread for breakfast daily.

• 30th Apr 2014

Cute and cozy with a home-y feel, in a great neighbourhood.

I have stayed in a couple of Hostels in the northwest over the last year and this has been my best experience. Very unique area, staff very accomidating and friendly/helpful. Great use of water recycling. Clean and very personable motif to each room. I brought my 21 year old son and he will use hostels in the future due to our great experience. Highly recommend this "Home"

• 23rd Apr 2014

The hostel is an nice place to hang out and meet new people. It is located at the most hip place to be in Portland and you find tons of nice bars and restaurants to enjoy some lazy time. There was not much organized things going on at the time when I stayed there. The WiFi comes and goes and it is a little annoying when you are in the middle of a booking process or want to upload pictures for your friends at home. But you can use the free phone to do arrangements instead.

I stayed in both HI hostels in Portland. I preferred this one. On the map it looks a little out of the way, but it's on a great bus line in to the city (the Portland transportation system makes it easy for you), and I found it easier to get around there than the other one. The dorm rooms themselves were excellent -- super comfy mattresses, spacious rooms, bunks that didn't creak.