HI - Portland Hawthorne Hostel Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

A very good hostel located 30 blocks from Portland CBD. Big rooms and comfy beds. However, there are only 2 showers but the hostel doesn't hold too many people.

Very helpful and friendly staff. Lots of eclectic and vintage shops nearby. It's pretty nice too that there is a Safeway grocery store a block away.

hawthorne hi is a pleasure. the staff is super helpful and friendly. they work very hard to accommodate their guests. the hostel is clean and provides everything anyone could need while staying. i love how Eco-friendly and progressive the hostel is. I really appreciate that. thank you for your hospitality!

Very nice place, hostels get a bad rep sometimes but a stay at this one would surely change their minds.

• 25th Oct 2015

Fantastic hostel focussing on excellent service and sustainability. Great location in Hawthorne Portland, would stay again.

Excellent location! Full kitchen and a gricery store in a 2 minute walk. Lots to do on Hawthorne Blvd...Excellent conditions...The best hostel experience I have had...Very clean, cozy environment with great security system and plenty of space. Heart warming regarding eco concious living that still provides loads of comfort. A great front porch to provide ease in hanging out and connecting with others. Felt immediately comfortable with the surroundings and staff who were caring and efficient

It was a great stay

Really liked this hostel for its location and general homely feeling. I stayed in the basement room that connects with another room so that was a bit uncomfortable going in and out of the room all the time. Also my bed was right below an exit sign that shone brightly at night. Overall nice hostel though.

Excellent experience

• 21st Jul 2015

For the high price and limited options in Portland, I expected a lot more from this hostel. I booked a small, all-male dorm which turned out to be a huge open room full of people of mixed-gender. Totally open and not secure. Beds absolutely awful, loud creaky door that slammed all night, atrocious shower facilities. Girl working there was lovely but the guy was an absolutely douche. Aircon on constantly on very low so hostel was freezing most of the time. Airbnb or hotel would have been better.

Wonderful hostel at my favorite neighborhood in Portland. Free breakfast, free coffee and tea all day, great space to hang out outside, comfy beds, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere. Grocery store and direct bus to downtown 2 minutes walking from the front door. Will come back!

Awesome place to stay! Loved the neighbourhood. Would totally stay again.

The female manager had a confrontation with a guest in the common room and kitchen. This made me feel very uncomfortable as I was sitting at the table eating my breakfast. I felt the issue should have been dealt with in the office or at least at the desk away from the common area. I felt very intimidated by this manager and did not voice my discomfort.

• 1st Jul 2015

Hello, I'm sorry you felt you had bad experience with the Hostel Services Manager. I wasn't present for the issue with the other guest, but from what I heard (there was another staff present the also heard the conversation) it was a security issue that the guest wasn't being forthcoming with his actions and misrepresented what he did. I apologize that you had to experience this first hand and this made you feel uncomfortable. We'll keep that in mind in the future. Take Care,Hostel Manager

Great facilities, great location, great atmosphere, and helpful staff--pretty much all of the things I look for in a hostel. I will definitely be coming back.

The dorm is too cold to sleep

Make a drinking space!

Please let people drink outside!!

Pretty much a standard HI hostel, nothing special, nothing bad. It's a pity that this hostel doesn't have a good bar nearby as you can't drink here. Only other complaint would be that there's usually no free coffee left in the evening. Kitchen is a little small too I suppose.