HI - Portland Hawthorne Hostel Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

Damp basement dorm with 12+ beds when I booked a 4 beds room. Far from downtown.

Hello Hugo. We do not have four bed dorms, only six or eight bed dorms. So there is no way you could have booked a four bed dorm with us. And there is fast and frequent bus service from the hostel to downtown (15 minute ride), plus there are many things to do in our neighborhood.

Great location in Hawthorne and only 10 minutes to downtown via the bus. Great parks and shopping in the area. Staff was helpful and took pride in their work. Great place to stay when trying to explore Portland. Kind of a weird smell but hey, the house is old and creepy what do you expect. Very safe atmosphere.

This hostel had a GREAT vibe too it! I met some awesome people here and there's heaps of fun stuff to do and it's located in a great location! Only thing is no 24 hour reception can be inconvenient when checking in late otherwise it was an awesome hostel! Although there is no drinking allowed and very poor airconditioning which means it's boiling at night, it is definitely worth it! Highly recommend it!

Nice and clean hostel with friendly and helpful staff!

Great service, accommodations, and location. Thank you!

I liked this hostel! It's a little bit away from downtown but the neighborhood is nice and interesting. I would bring my own lock for the lockers, but they will rent a lock to you. I only stayed for one night, but everything was OK.

Staff here are really helpful and willing to help you out! Thanks a lot, Eddie! My sleeping bag will be with me in camp in the following week~

Really cool, funky hostel located in the quaint, adorable Hawthorne neighborhood. The 14 bus stops right outside the hostel and is a 20 minute ride to Pioneer Square. Staff were helpful and did an amazing job keeping the hostel clean. Free basic breakfast. A short walk to cafés, vintage stores, and nightlife. Would definitely stay here again!

It was interesting being in a room that you had to access through another room, but it's always a surprise what you get when staying in a hostel. The house was nice and very earth-friendly. Even though there were only 2 showers I didn't have to wait to use them. The location was great, super easy to get downtown and in a fun quiet neighbourhood. Staff was friendly as well. I would stay here again.

The staff was super friendly!! The location was also awesome, because SE Hawthorne street has a lot of shops and good food to offer. The beds are not very comfy, but hey you get what you pay for! I would definitely stay there again.

• 19th Jun 2014

Need to reinforce cleanliness among those staying at the hostel. House was smaller than I envisioned for that many people staying there.

• 17th Jun 2014

I was very impressed by this hostel. It was the first one I have stayed in in the US and I was concerned about security and the facilities, thinking there wasn't as much a culture of travel in this country so the hostels may be under-par. That was not the case with this hostel. The staff was accomodating and friendly, very knowledgable about the area. Great location, just outside of the downtown area (so quiet) but an easy walk. Secure, clean, nice facilities. I'd definitely recommend this hotel

I had a good time. Everyone was really relaxed, but still willing to help you plan your stay in Portland. The walls were lined with information about what is currently going on that day as well as information about different attractions around the cite.

The big shared table makes it easy to meet people. Bikes are great! The conscious Eco approach is inspiring. And in general is an amazing place to stay...a couple of gripes I have are.....Some of the staff seem a bit grumpy...downstairs has no windows so is very dark so you will need a torch to get up in the morning!! All in all a great stay. Thanks.