HI - Portland Hawthorne Hostel Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

Very nice, quiet. Great location! Staff was friendly and offered great tips!

• 25th Mar 2015

A bit pricey. Overall its ur average hostel. Th location is not near downtown/city center. Theyre a pretty environmentally hipster hostel. Only thing i would stay is the staff seemed annoyed the day i came in, like they were annoyed with questions being asked and did t really show u things/facilities; i figured it out myself. Clean and has phone and computer u can use

Well stocked kitchen and appliances. Breakfast was poor, due to lack of fruit, bread and juices. Hostel was in a nice area, however it was quite a walk from downtown. Plesant hostel.

I really like what they have done in terms of sustainability and retrofitting the older house to be very "green." The location is awesome! The Hawthorne neighborhood was really neat! I do have to mention that the staff seemed annoyed when I asked questions about what to do in the area and in Portland(mostly friendly, just not excited about their jobs). There was only one shower per floor (I believe); they didn't really give an in depth tour upon arrival.

Very good location. Close to lots of cool restaurants, record shops, and food trucks! Had an amazing time in Portland. Staff were friendly and the cleanliness was excellent! Would stay here again. Thanks for a good time!

Great staff - knowledgeable, friendly, the night manager brought us ear plugs when we encountered loud snorer in the co-ed dorm (late at night), which saved our night's sleep. Facilities are pretty good - it'd be nice to have a larger/updated main floor shower, but overall it accommodates the number of guests well. One dislike was the mattresses in the upstairs co-ed dorm: super flattened (especially in the middle) - you feel the metal bar across the lower back all night. no comfortable

• 12th Feb 2015

Really friendly and family atmosphere hostel. Comfortable beds and great bathrooms.

• 10th Feb 2015

Enjoyed my stay. The staff was helpful and I loved being in a location I might not have visited otherwise. The bus you need to take to get there is fairly frequent; the wait didn't detract my from experience in Portland at all. The Hawthorne area is great with lots of cool shops and movie theaters to check out. The hostel has a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Only wish would be for lockers by the beds but I was never really worried. Would recommend if staying in Portland.

Great location. Safe. Fun. Clean.

• 2nd Feb 2015

Great location! Super friendly and oatmeal

• 23rd Jan 2015

Same as below :)

• 9th Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

The hostel didn't organize any social activities during my stay, even though I was there for New Years Eve. It was my first time in Portland, and as a solo traveler I was depending on the hostel to have something going on. Pretty baffling and disappointing that there was no community feel to this place. No lockers in the room. Pros: The location is hip and convenient, and they provide free pancake mix and other breakfast foods free in the morning.

• 27th Dec 2014

Good host, but the real price is higher than hostel world price and the location is not so good

• 25th Dec 2014

Hello , Thanks for taking the time to make a comment. FYI- if you looked at you booking info you'd see that all prices excluded the HI- member fee (which is standard quoting) and local lodging taxes. Sorry, there's no way for us to include the taxes in your quoted rated. Happy Travels, Talbot Wallace HI- Portland Hawthorne Hostel Manager

I appreciated the board with suggestions of things to do. I went on the ghost walk and had a great time.

Lovely hostel! They are really sustainable which is amazing. Stayed here with my boyfriend for just one night. The other people in our room were friendly and it's located in a really cool neighborhood!

I stayed in Portland for only one night and the hostel had what I needed, if I was staying longer than I would have picked a different location. The hostel is nice and has a home feel to it, all the facilities are there and your not without anything. I would recommend it but it's not for the party types.

Damp basement dorm with 12+ beds when I booked a 4 beds room. Far from downtown.

Hello Hugo. We do not have four bed dorms, only six or eight bed dorms. So there is no way you could have booked a four bed dorm with us. And there is fast and frequent bus service from the hostel to downtown (15 minute ride), plus there are many things to do in our neighborhood.

Great location in Hawthorne and only 10 minutes to downtown via the bus. Great parks and shopping in the area. Staff was helpful and took pride in their work. Great place to stay when trying to explore Portland. Kind of a weird smell but hey, the house is old and creepy what do you expect. Very safe atmosphere.