HI - Portland - Hawthorne Reviews

3031 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Oregon, Portland, USA

I stayed in both HI hostels in Portland. I preferred this one. On the map it looks a little out of the way, but it's on a great bus line in to the city (the Portland transportation system makes it easy for you), and I found it easier to get around there than the other one. The dorm rooms themselves were excellent -- super comfy mattresses, spacious rooms, bunks that didn't creak.

Put some bed side lights! No one wants to be awoken by late arrivals!

A lovely hostel with a great staff and atmosphere, but a shower room was too small and a shortage room was not room...Around the hostel, there were interesting shops and I had a great time there.

Fantastic staff who were always friendly ad willing to help. Cute homey feel to the hostel which was always very clean. Great location near supermarkets,cafés and awesome bibtage shops. Loved it!

• 28th Mar 2014

Was originally weary that it was some distance away from the city center, but the Hawthorne neighborhood turned out to be a very neat little area to stay in, and with Portland's bus system and great day pass prices, it wasn't really a big deal. The only real bummer to my stay was the weather, but that doesn't have anything to do with the hostel :) Great breakfast with new baked goods every day. Very sharing and caring environment and loved the eco-consciousness of the hostel.

This can hardly be classified as a hostel, when I stayed there at least 80% of the people staying there were people trying to find somewhere to live in portland. There is basically no atmosphere, the staff there were arrogant and rude and couldn't be less helpful. I will avoid HI hostels after this experience. It's disappointing because this 'hostel' is in a cool area and there is so much opportunity for a really rad hostel. Poor effort

Hello Clare, Thanks for letting us know what you're feeling in regards to your stay here. I'm sorry you felt you didn't enjoy the staff or atmosphere, typically those are two categories we get high ratings in... Please keep in mind that US hostels have slightly different clientele in the winter bc the summer is when most people can travel here. It isn't that often to have that many people moving to our city. Take Care and good luck, Talbot Wallace Hostel Manager

Nice and clean place but do not except some good fun there. It's a shame the hostel doesn't organize any activities during off-season.

Hello Audrey, Thanks for taking the time to make a review of the our hostel. Sorry that we don't have a lot of activities for guests, we are a small hostel and are a little understaffed this winter. We will be making some hostel programming changes soon, so I would expect more events @ the hostel in the coming year. Good luck and happy travels! Talbot HI-Portland Hawthorne Hostel Manager

It is a nice small hostel in a wonderful neighbourhood. The kitchen is excellent as there are many spices and its always clean! The best thing is thats its a real eco hostel with ecoroof and rainwater for flushing the toilets etc! Really good!

Pros: Located in a cool neighbourhood, and a short bus ride to downtown. Friendly staff. Rooms are security code locked, and so is the hostel when at night. Comfortable beds. Clean. Free DIY pancakes breakfast. Cons: No lockers in rooms.