HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Had a minor issue with someone who shouldn't have been allowed in, but it was handled in a very calm & professional manner.

• 24th May 2015

Very dated in comparison to may of the other HI hostels i've stayed @ in US. The plugs in common area were so old they wouldn't take a mac plug! Beds very unstable wood, no shelving for water or phone if on top bunk. no surrounding bars. Location was good and staff were pleasant, but the hostel lacked the spark that other HI hostels have had in America. After previously staying in the Banfield motel listed on here, i'd say pay the extra few dollars and stay there. Just being honest :/ sorry!

I really enjoyed my stay there. i was lucky to get the big bed in the shared dorm with quiet sleepers. If youre traveling alone i would highly recommend staying here. Met great people, easy to get to from the airport, close to good restaurants and bars. nice outdoor seating area--would meet up with other people there and go out at night after touring the city during the day/

• 6th May 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed me stay at the hostel. Everyone of the staff was very helpful, no matter what the question.

• 5th May 2015

Like what the other reviews said, this hostel was conveniently located! It was walking distance to downtown and to bars as well, if you're looking for something to do at night. Overall a wonderful place!

Nice hostel, I didn't see a lot of social interaction occurring between the travelers. Hostel definitely tried to initiate group events; but didn't see many people there.

The hostel is very easy to get to from the airport with the rail system - just down the street from Providence Park. Liked that there is always a staff member at the front desk. Loved the architecture of the hostel - I liked the stairs leading to the entrance and the layout of the rooms and kitchen. In-room lockers were big enough to hold my 55L backpack. Bathrooms were huge and very clean. Would stay there again next time I visit Portland.

Awesome find!

• 14th Apr 2015
  • Israel

It was in a good location, about a twenty minute walk to downtown and ten minutes from Powell's books. The only downsides for me were that there weren't many outlets in the room - making it a little difficult to charge my phone overnight or use my laptop. Also most of the guests were a lot older than I expected (I'm in college), and they all went to sleep at 9pm. So for this reason individual lights and outlets on each bed might be useful. That said, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

This was my first hostel visit. It was convenient, the staff helpful, something I would do again.

• 6th Apr 2015

I really enjoyed staying at the hostel. The staff was nice and friendly and really cared about a clean hostel. Local volunteers provided guided activities in Portland. Thanks a lot for that.

• 6th Apr 2015

Loved this hostel! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a nice size. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the rooms were a little cold but I was still able to sleep. Although it says they don't provide breakfast they do provide bread and tea or coffee in the mornings which is a bonus! Location is perfect, within walking distance of the hub of downtown. I would definitely recommend staying here and if I ever return to Portland I will be booking myself a room here again :)

I like how easy it was to adjust the dates from 24-26 originally booked to 25-27 because of travel delays. This has been my 3rd or 4th stay in the last 5 years.

• 24th Mar 2015

I loved staying at this hostel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, especially given that I had an injury that required accommodations. The hostel was close to a Trader Joe's and a Fred Meyer and there were a couple of good kitchens, so it was easy to buy and make my own food to save money. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here, and I'll definitely stay here again the next time I come to Portland.

Close to the train station. Tours, scavenger hunt (very fun), many kitchens, in a good neighborhood near many things. I had fun here.

Staff was great! A place to park a bike not on the street would be awesome (but where would you put it?) Definitely recommended, and will be back!

• 16th Mar 2015

The place is ok, nothing very special actually.

I only rated the hostel good in atmosphere, value for the money and facilities because I believe additional indoor and outdoor lounge space is needed, especially in the second building. For the room rates, a fuller breakfast should be offered or the price should be reduced, or an options for a full, hot breakfast should be offered separately at 2-3 dollars more. Aside from that, the hostel is great with comfy rooms and friendly staff.

It was a well run hostel and clean. The location was a bit out of the way from most things but only a short walk. The rooms were a good size but the bunk beds were quite squeaky. Overall it was a decent hostel and I'd probably stay there again.

This was my 2nd time staying here and the hostel's still its charming self as I remembered it. On our arrival, we're tended by a resourceful front deskperson who showed us key attractions on the Portland map. We're supposed to get an 8 bed dorm but ended up with a nice 4 bed dorm. My mattress was soft but the blanket was unfortunately thin and I recalled tossing and turning due to the coldness. Otherwise, the hostel's quite secure with a convenient back entrance and a one-time use storage pass.