HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Standard hostel. HI is known for good hostels. The only things I was disappointed in were: 1- No breakfast, only toast and coffee. 2- From what I saw there was only 1 bathroom for girls on the floor with only 2 stalls and 2 showers. I didn't have an issue because I showered at night, but I could this causing a big problem.

Staff friendly ! Clean hostel

• 25th Aug 2014

Very cute hostel at a good location. We could easily wallk to the city center from the hostel and there are cafes, bakeries are just around the corner. The staff was nice and the breakfast was free with frsh pastries, bagels and rolls from a local bakery. The hostel also has a cute little backyard to sit in.

Atmosphere was poor, large rooms smelled kind of bad.

Great neighbourhood, city centre within easy walking distance, helpful staff and lots of great hostel-organised activities.

It Was very clean.The garden is great and the kitchen too.Hair drier in the toilet.

perfect place to crash for a night; a bit of a walk from downtown; excellent coffee and pastries across the street!

Great hostel. Clean, friendly staff and good atmosphere

• 6th Aug 2014

Mattresses are awfully hard. Other than that. A great setup

• 30th Jul 2014

A really great location with access to everything I wanted to do. Nice kitchen facilities, clean rooms and it was incredibly easy to lock my stuff up while I was out. I will certainly stay here again the next time I'm in Portland.

• 29th Jul 2014

The atmosphere was surprisingly good considering it's a HI hostel where people tend to be by themselves more. Loved the 'secret garden' in the back and the architecture of the house! The staff was very friendly and pretty much every day they would organize different activities. I had a great stay there!

The staff were friendly and helpful, clearly explaining everything I needed to know about the facilities and hostel rules. They were also able to point out interesting places around town. The facilities themselves were clean, efficiently-run, and comfortable. The location was pleasantly quiet while not being far from downtown Portland which was a plus. Overall, I was quite satisfied and would have enjoyed staying longer even.

• 26th Jul 2014

Okay hostel with good security and all necessary facilities. Really poor breakfast in comparison to all other hostels, that I've visited. Staff did not seem glad or motivated and in general the atmosphere at the hostel was boring and weird.

The check in process was easy, the beds were pretty decent, and there are giant lockers in each room to store your goods. The bathroom also seemed to be clean the entire time I was there (just a few days). The prices are reasonable and you are fairly close to all the downtown stuff.

Really nice staff and experience staying at this hostel.

Great location near a lot of stores and restaurants and bars. A pretty standard hostel for the price, but it was clean and fairly quiet and the staff was friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again!

• 21st Jul 2014

Good location. Loved Mission Theater which is only 2 blocks away. Only complaint was they didn't allow alcohol anywhere on the property besides the Secret Garden which shuts down at 10pm. Which is cool, but when a guest was drinking beers on the smoking section one of the female employees lectured the other guests for not explaining the rules to the traveler with beer. As travelers and guests at your hostel we shouldn't be held responsible to explain the rules to other guest.

First time here. Absolutely loved it! I will definitely be back.

• 20th Jul 2014

Friendly staff, great common area outside and in, located very close to some great restaurants and shops. Nice and quiet hostel.

2 friendly staff members, 2 unfriendly ones. 1 a guy, the other a girl - both walk around as if they hate their life, and don't make guests feel welcome at all. Also, place desperately needs a good clean. The stench of urine when you open the room to the dorms is overwhelming and the disgusting, overused sheet I got to sleep on was just gross. How often are the beds and pillows cleaned? Not often enough at all I think. The blanket was horrid.

• 18th Jul 2014