HI Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Free locks, towels, hair dyers, coffee, breakfast pastries and bread are all nice touches. The staff was friendly and there was lots of information on things to do in Portland. The hostel felt very safe and had excellent free wifi. On the negative side, the beds were not very comfortable and the bathrooms were not very clean. The hostel could use more bathrooms in general especially on the first floor. It was a little pricey too; I thought it should be closer to $20-25.

Facility like microvewave needs to be constantly checked of condition. I do enjoy the common space area in the dining area and secret garden!

• 22nd Jan 2016
  • Malaysia

Portland only has 3 hostels open to everyone, and this is one of the 2 HI hostels in town. It consists of three separate buildings with a fourth on the way -- the owner seems to have large plans. Fred Meyer grocery and the blue/red light rail lines a few blocks away. Excellent kitchen with modest free breakfast (but good coffee). Only one bathroom downstairs in my building, but more and better ones on main level. A solid hostel at a decent price in a town that needs more.

I already wrote a review. I'm closer to 50 than I am to 20, and I'm wondering why you keep writing me.

• 20th Jan 2016

Great location, short walk from downtown Portland. Staff was very helpful. Great wifi and free towels! Would stay again!

Super clean hostel with great showers! The night when the trivia was organised was great.

For the short time I was there, the stay was pleasant and it felt like home. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and knowledgeable about the events and activities around the Hostel. In the morning, the HI hostel provides breakfast toast supported by an amazing local artisan bakery which is a added treat for any guests who enjoys artfully crafted carb-laden, butter soaked BREAD... I will definitely recommend staying at HI hostel for price, environment, and most importantly location.

• 14th Jan 2016

Great place.

• 14th Jan 2016

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Room layout with a powerstrip for each bed was awesome, I really appreciated not having to fumble in the dark for an outlet. Shared bathrooms were very clean. And check-in/out was a breeze.

The staff was great! They were very friendly, and helpful. The location is in a great neiborhood located near buses, and near Powell's World of Books(a really cool place)😊

• 5th Jan 2016

Everyone was very friendly and I felt very safe and well taken care of! I would recommend this hostel to others visiting the area.

• 4th Jan 2016

Great hostel in a central location with incredibly helpful staff and a great atmosphere.

Great hostel. Good accommodations, all the hostel was very clean! Recommend it.

They don't have the friendliest staff I've encountered in hostels. Especially the guy in the beanie -- he never smiles, did not acknowledge me the first time I walked in to check-in (he was off-duty but still!) and was very unsympathetic when I had to walk out in the frozen ice to the Yamhill MAX as taxis were not running that day. The rest of them were also just okay. Breakfast is of great quality and facilities are clean.

This hostel is beautiful. The house is amazing, it's deceivingly huge! The rooms are very cute, bathrooms have old style tubs. Although it is not located in the center, it isn't far from everything. There are so many things within walking distance.

That was my first place to stay in a hostel, it was super cheap and how nice are they. From the hostel to Downtown just 15 mins walk and also 15 mins walk from The train station to the hostel.

I love the the staff,and the people that stay there from all around the world A+++ Hostel

Abbey (the young woman who invited me to partake in the Christmas meal) and the young woman(from Eugene and graduated in 1999) who checked me in upon my arrival were extremely friendly and welcoming and made my visit the next best way to spend my holiday away from home. I can not express in words how much I appreciate their friendliness and ability the empathize with myself and others who were spending the holiday alone away from loved ones.

• 23rd Dec 2015

Very nice and comfortable hostel with great staff. Good central location, walking distance to several grocery stores.

Really was a very good hostel. Would highly recommend staying there.

« first « Prev 1 2 3