HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

I like how easy it was to adjust the dates from 24-26 originally booked to 25-27 because of travel delays. This has been my 3rd or 4th stay in the last 5 years.

• 24th Mar 2015

I loved staying at this hostel. The staff were all very helpful and friendly, especially given that I had an injury that required accommodations. The hostel was close to a Trader Joe's and a Fred Meyer and there were a couple of good kitchens, so it was easy to buy and make my own food to save money. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here, and I'll definitely stay here again the next time I come to Portland.

Close to the train station. Tours, scavenger hunt (very fun), many kitchens, in a good neighborhood near many things. I had fun here.

Staff was great! A place to park a bike not on the street would be awesome (but where would you put it?) Definitely recommended, and will be back!

• 16th Mar 2015

I only rated the hostel good in atmosphere, value for the money and facilities because I believe additional indoor and outdoor lounge space is needed, especially in the second building. For the room rates, a fuller breakfast should be offered or the price should be reduced, or an options for a full, hot breakfast should be offered separately at 2-3 dollars more. Aside from that, the hostel is great with comfy rooms and friendly staff.

It was a well run hostel and clean. The location was a bit out of the way from most things but only a short walk. The rooms were a good size but the bunk beds were quite squeaky. Overall it was a decent hostel and I'd probably stay there again.

This was my 2nd time staying here and the hostel's still its charming self as I remembered it. On our arrival, we're tended by a resourceful front deskperson who showed us key attractions on the Portland map. We're supposed to get an 8 bed dorm but ended up with a nice 4 bed dorm. My mattress was soft but the blanket was unfortunately thin and I recalled tossing and turning due to the coldness. Otherwise, the hostel's quite secure with a convenient back entrance and a one-time use storage pass.

Pleasant stay but nothing extraordinary. Stayed in a mixed dorm that had a bathroom within the room- thought that was convenient! Wish that there were more curtains or doors in the room (had three sections but only one had a privacy curtain).

• 26th Feb 2015

More than excellent!!!

Location was ok, Portland isn't too big a city so it is easy to get around. Similar to other hostels in the US, the crowd here tends to be split between an older group that is 50 or older, and a younger crowd under 25. Facilities were all in order and clean. Staff was friendly.

I wasn't expecting such a great hostel! I absolutely loved it. It was so close to everything. I loved the building itself. I loved the staff, they were very friendly. Everything was clean and I really had a great time. We came via car and although parking is mostly street parking, it wasn't hard to find. We stayed in a separate building which didn't take anything away from what we needed. I'm staying at this hostel when I come back!

I loved my stay here. Portland is my new favourite city! My only comment is that room 4 (especially the bunks near the window) were very very cold at night. I had two fleece blankets but still woke up in the night feeling cold. Maybe a duvet would make a difference? Other than that I couldn't fault the place - the staff were great and the atmosphere in the hostel was lovely.

The staff was very friendly and we felt right at home. Will definitely choose HI again.

• 31st Jan 2015

Great hostel. Walking distance to downtown, good cafes in the area too. The hostel was nice and quiet for sleeping. Really clean. Not a party hostel but having said that I met heaps of people during the activities scheduled which was great. I'd recommend and stay again too.

Great location right between the Nob Hill and Pearl District areas - easy walk to SO MANY great food places. Good breakfast with delicious bread and pastries from a local bakery. The communal areas were pretty quiet when I visited in January, so not too social. But would probably pick up in summer I imagine!

Great hostel! Awesome location on the north part of town. Staff was great, met some terrific people, and had a blast. I would definitely stay again every time I'm in Portland!

Nice, clean hostel in a good location. Friendly staff!

We really enjoyed our stay here. Perfect location and every part of the building is really nice. There is a beer tour that leaves from the hostel but we were not impressed with it. The places were good but the guide didn't do or say much and it was a bit unorganized. People were very friendly and there was a good common area in the hostel. Would definitely recommend staying here.

I stay here every time I come to Portland, I'll be moving to Portland soon so I visit a lot. The staff is lovely, great location, good security, good vibes. So few hostels in the US seem to have the European hostel vibe but this one comes pretty close. I love hostels and this is my favorite one so far in the states.

• 12th Dec 2014

I only stayed a night, but the girls who I roomed with were very friendly. The locker provided was a very good size and the hostel was close to what I needed, dinner. I have two negatives. The top bunk was hard to get out of in the dark. I nearly fell in the early morning. Parking was...interesting. I would not recommend staying at this hostel if you are in the process of moving and have all of your stuff in your car. My vehicle was not broken into, but I worried about it all night.