HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Clean, friendly staff, good sized lockers, and decent wi-fi. Walkable to public transport and close to some decent breweries. Only downside when I was there were beds were a bit squeaky, and the atmosphere wasn't too lively

Some buildings had separate showers and toilets; others were combined (less ideal). Clean, well-maintained heritage building with great facilities and helpful, friendly staff. Walking distance to Pearl District and great coffee shops and bars in Nob Hill area. Highly recommended.

My only concern is that the bottom sheets are not cleaned. My mattress was uncomfortable (coil type) and I changed it with another bunk which was a foam type. Made a huge difference in my sleeping comfort. Other than that, this was a great stay. I will definitely come back next year for the marathon!

Convienent to Gardens and downtown. Efficient staff and friendly atmoosphere. Great breads!

they don't have a hairdryer in a bathroom. i wish they offered a bath towel too :(

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Japan

Large clean hostel located in a good part of Portland for exploring on foot or by public transit. Dorm rooms are spacious and some offer en-suite bathrooms. The bearclaw tubs are nice to look at but kind of difficult to take a shower in because the curtains go all the way around the tub and tend to flail inward when the water is on. That's a little ew since nobody wants a wet shower curtain touching them during their shower. Breakfast was simple but adequate. Great cafe across the street.

I had a fantastic time staying in this hostel it has a very welcoming feel to it. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, as soon as I arrived I was shown loads of things to see and do on a map and even got personally shown to my dorm room! I stayed in an 8-bed mixed dorm and meeting people was very easy. Each building has it's own communal area and there are also places to sit and chill outside. You're only a 10-15min walk from city center. Just a shame there was only 1 washing machine.

This is a fantastic hostel! Friendly and easy to meet people but quiet enough to rest. Really clean with nice bathroom options. A simple but tasty breakfast. Nice area walking distance to some good streets and not a long walk to downtown. Nice staff and lockers were available. Loved staying here!

Standard hostel. HI is known for good hostels. The only things I was disappointed in were: 1- No breakfast, only toast and coffee. 2- From what I saw there was only 1 bathroom for girls on the floor with only 2 stalls and 2 showers. I didn't have an issue because I showered at night, but I could this causing a big problem.

Staff friendly ! Clean hostel

• 25th Aug 2014

Very cute hostel at a good location. We could easily wallk to the city center from the hostel and there are cafes, bakeries are just around the corner. The staff was nice and the breakfast was free with frsh pastries, bagels and rolls from a local bakery. The hostel also has a cute little backyard to sit in.

Atmosphere was poor, large rooms smelled kind of bad.

Great neighbourhood, city centre within easy walking distance, helpful staff and lots of great hostel-organised activities.

It Was very clean.The garden is great and the kitchen too.Hair drier in the toilet.

All good!

perfect place to crash for a night; a bit of a walk from downtown; excellent coffee and pastries across the street!

Great hostel. Clean, friendly staff and good atmosphere

• 6th Aug 2014

Mattresses are awfully hard. Other than that. A great setup

• 30th Jul 2014

A really great location with access to everything I wanted to do. Nice kitchen facilities, clean rooms and it was incredibly easy to lock my stuff up while I was out. I will certainly stay here again the next time I'm in Portland.

• 29th Jul 2014

The atmosphere was surprisingly good considering it's a HI hostel where people tend to be by themselves more. Loved the 'secret garden' in the back and the architecture of the house! The staff was very friendly and pretty much every day they would organize different activities. I had a great stay there!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4