HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Will stay again

Would be nice to have better ventilation in the bedrooms during hot nights.

• 6th Jun 2015

Pillows were 1 inch thick. I will bring an inflatable next time. There were no towels left so I had to use a bath mat. I will bring a towel next time Staff was friendly and helpful to younger people; me, not so much . I guess I am too old to be using a hostel, but this was an prearranged trip.

• 6th Jun 2015

Friendly Staff, good location in the Pearl District.

The Portland Hi Hostel is very nice I will be staying there again in the future the staff is very helpful but not so hands on to be guard like., the occupants were nice and experienced in Hosteling the system works very well. Cheers see you there!

The staff were great - they took time to introduce me to the city and explain where were the best places to go for what I was looking for. The bunk beds in the 8 person co-ed dorm I was staying in were rickety, but besides that the place was great. The best part of the hostel: LOCATION. So many great eateries within walking distance, the Mission theater just 1.5 blocks away, and the residential Alphabet District feels so safe I ran alone at dusk without feeling insecure.

• 26th May 2015

The staff members were just wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming or informative experience. My only minor complaint was that the communal women's bathroom was down for half a day which created a bit of a bottleneck at the other bathrooms but I understand that this was not necessarily within the control of the hostel!

Had a minor issue with someone who shouldn't have been allowed in, but it was handled in a very calm & professional manner.

• 24th May 2015

Very dated in comparison to may of the other HI hostels i've stayed @ in US. The plugs in common area were so old they wouldn't take a mac plug! Beds very unstable wood, no shelving for water or phone if on top bunk. no surrounding bars. Location was good and staff were pleasant, but the hostel lacked the spark that other HI hostels have had in America. After previously staying in the Banfield motel listed on here, i'd say pay the extra few dollars and stay there. Just being honest :/ sorry!

I really enjoyed my stay there. i was lucky to get the big bed in the shared dorm with quiet sleepers. If youre traveling alone i would highly recommend staying here. Met great people, easy to get to from the airport, close to good restaurants and bars. nice outdoor seating area--would meet up with other people there and go out at night after touring the city during the day/

• 6th May 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed me stay at the hostel. Everyone of the staff was very helpful, no matter what the question.

• 5th May 2015

Like what the other reviews said, this hostel was conveniently located! It was walking distance to downtown and to bars as well, if you're looking for something to do at night. Overall a wonderful place!

Nice hostel, I didn't see a lot of social interaction occurring between the travelers. Hostel definitely tried to initiate group events; but didn't see many people there.

The hostel is very easy to get to from the airport with the rail system - just down the street from Providence Park. Liked that there is always a staff member at the front desk. Loved the architecture of the hostel - I liked the stairs leading to the entrance and the layout of the rooms and kitchen. In-room lockers were big enough to hold my 55L backpack. Bathrooms were huge and very clean. Would stay there again next time I visit Portland.

Awesome find!

• 14th Apr 2015
  • Israel

It was in a good location, about a twenty minute walk to downtown and ten minutes from Powell's books. The only downsides for me were that there weren't many outlets in the room - making it a little difficult to charge my phone overnight or use my laptop. Also most of the guests were a lot older than I expected (I'm in college), and they all went to sleep at 9pm. So for this reason individual lights and outlets on each bed might be useful. That said, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

This was my first hostel visit. It was convenient, the staff helpful, something I would do again.

• 6th Apr 2015

I really enjoyed staying at the hostel. The staff was nice and friendly and really cared about a clean hostel. Local volunteers provided guided activities in Portland. Thanks a lot for that.

• 6th Apr 2015

Loved this hostel! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a nice size. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the rooms were a little cold but I was still able to sleep. Although it says they don't provide breakfast they do provide bread and tea or coffee in the mornings which is a bonus! Location is perfect, within walking distance of the hub of downtown. I would definitely recommend staying here and if I ever return to Portland I will be booking myself a room here again :)

I like how easy it was to adjust the dates from 24-26 originally booked to 25-27 because of travel delays. This has been my 3rd or 4th stay in the last 5 years.

• 24th Mar 2015