HI Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Noisy beds, noisy bathroom door. guests allowed to come in at all hours including at 3am. I got average of 3 hours of sleep per night. Made reservation for 7 days, paid for 4 days, had to leave after 2 days and check into a hotel to recover. Pluses would be friendly staff and clean kitchen areas.

• 11th Dec 2015

Great staff! Cool travelers and just a sweet time

I LOVE THE STAFF AND PEOPLE'......all so very nice A++++++++++

Best Hostel I have ever been!!! Super friendly staff and amazing vibe!! Location is great, walking distance to anywhere you need in Portland!

• 3rd Dec 2015

The wifi here was exceptional and it was close to the more hip and edgy areas of the city.

Great location, friendly staff, parking is a nightmare, sporadic heating in my dorm, and the electrical outlets almost never worked.

• 29th Nov 2015

Nice clean spacious hostel, well mannered staff who were happy to help with any queries. Good size communal areas and bathrooms that were cleaned daily. Within walking distance of everything you need.

Super helpful staff! Building 2 did have a funky smell (like cat pee) for a couple days but it started to fade towards the end of the week (started right after a hard rain and faded as it dried up outside). I would still recommend this hostel despite that because of all the other great things about it. I think the site says it doesn't offer towels (except for a fee) or free breakfast- both untrue so that's good. Would recommend they frost the glass in the bathroom overlooking the courtyard.

• 18th Nov 2015

Staff was incredibly helpful, location is a good launching point into the city, rooms were good.

Great place and friendly staff. Keep up the good work!

The hostel is in a good location and the building is very interesting. A big part of what brings people to Portland is the concept that people are mellow and that they aren't too worried about what you are doing. This hostel is basically a church in that they are nazi's about socializing after 10 PM. A big reason people stay in hostels is to meet other people. You will meet a few people but the staff will make sure to dampen this with their overly conservative policies regarding quiet hours.

Only spent a short time in Portland and wish I could have done more. HI northwest while it is on 18th is really not that far from the main area of the city. I found this a great place to stay, quiet atmosphere and at times I had the outdoor area to myself. The outdoor area is fantastic and on a nice day would be a great place to hang with other hostel guests. I would recommend this as a place to stay and will stay again when I go back. Make sure you go and check out the beer tour pdx in Portland

Everything was clean and the hostel is in a safe area. However, if you're looking for a social experience I wouldn't recommend. Quiet hours after 10 are strictly enforced, I saw the staff shush people at night and in the morning for speaking at a normal volume.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • red_delicious

Very satisfied. I love the kitchen where we can share food, story and surprise each other by cuisine culture :)

Awesome stay, lovely staff and absolutely suberp kitchen! The location was great! The only thing that was less than perfect was the toilets... not the staffs fault though... messy guys :P

I just love this hostel :) If you are looking for a hostel to relax, this was is perfect. The staff is great. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and pretty new. I've never slept in such a compfy bed in an hostel.

Great hostel. Great location, staff were very friendly and helpful. Dorm was clean and facilities were good. Only negative thing was the bunk beds were somewhat creaky and the pillows were very flat. But if yoi can deal with that, this hostel is definitely worth it!

Very well maintained hostel in a convenient location. Felt safe and clean. Good sized kitchen and garden. The staff were friendly and provided free maps. Good location for public transport, bars and places to eat. I would happily stay again and recommend.

Just like every other HI hostel I have stayed in, there was no atmosphere, really boring. But if you just want somewhere clean and comfy to stay then it's a good shout.

An excellent facility and a wonderful experience. I highly recommend this place.

• 10th Sep 2015