HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

More than excellent!!!

Location was ok, Portland isn't too big a city so it is easy to get around. Similar to other hostels in the US, the crowd here tends to be split between an older group that is 50 or older, and a younger crowd under 25. Facilities were all in order and clean. Staff was friendly.

I wasn't expecting such a great hostel! I absolutely loved it. It was so close to everything. I loved the building itself. I loved the staff, they were very friendly. Everything was clean and I really had a great time. We came via car and although parking is mostly street parking, it wasn't hard to find. We stayed in a separate building which didn't take anything away from what we needed. I'm staying at this hostel when I come back!

I loved my stay here. Portland is my new favourite city! My only comment is that room 4 (especially the bunks near the window) were very very cold at night. I had two fleece blankets but still woke up in the night feeling cold. Maybe a duvet would make a difference? Other than that I couldn't fault the place - the staff were great and the atmosphere in the hostel was lovely.

The staff was very friendly and we felt right at home. Will definitely choose HI again.

• 31st Jan 2015

Great hostel. Walking distance to downtown, good cafes in the area too. The hostel was nice and quiet for sleeping. Really clean. Not a party hostel but having said that I met heaps of people during the activities scheduled which was great. I'd recommend and stay again too.

Great location right between the Nob Hill and Pearl District areas - easy walk to SO MANY great food places. Good breakfast with delicious bread and pastries from a local bakery. The communal areas were pretty quiet when I visited in January, so not too social. But would probably pick up in summer I imagine!

Great hostel! Awesome location on the north part of town. Staff was great, met some terrific people, and had a blast. I would definitely stay again every time I'm in Portland!

Nice, clean hostel in a good location. Friendly staff!

We really enjoyed our stay here. Perfect location and every part of the building is really nice. There is a beer tour that leaves from the hostel but we were not impressed with it. The places were good but the guide didn't do or say much and it was a bit unorganized. People were very friendly and there was a good common area in the hostel. Would definitely recommend staying here.

I stay here every time I come to Portland, I'll be moving to Portland soon so I visit a lot. The staff is lovely, great location, good security, good vibes. So few hostels in the US seem to have the European hostel vibe but this one comes pretty close. I love hostels and this is my favorite one so far in the states.

• 12th Dec 2014

I only stayed a night, but the girls who I roomed with were very friendly. The locker provided was a very good size and the hostel was close to what I needed, dinner. I have two negatives. The top bunk was hard to get out of in the dark. I nearly fell in the early morning. Parking was...interesting. I would not recommend staying at this hostel if you are in the process of moving and have all of your stuff in your car. My vehicle was not broken into, but I worried about it all night.

Nice place in the NW! Staff is super friendly and lovely, rooms are really nice. breakfast

I don't like the beds, they are too squeeqy and the mattress was super uncomfortable. Same with the pillow, it super flat and uncomfortable. The free use of the locker was great. The bathrooms kinda sucked, one of the show got clogged during my stay and didn't like the lack of ventilation in the bathrooms.

Fantastic hostel! Came here looking for a relaxing trip with some friends and this hostel was perfect for it! Great location and very quiet at night which was ideal! Staff were incredibly friendly! Overall very happy with it :)

• 26th Nov 2014

Clean. Good facilities. Friendly. Drinking is only allowed in the outside courtyard and until 10pm. Which can be cold and inconvenient if wanting to chat and make friends but also keeps noise down. Not really a party hostel if that is what you're after. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just something to consider.

Compared to the other west coast hostels so far, this one has been the coziest with the best staff. And THE best coffee and bread for breakfast. All local and fresh. You'll definitely get spoiled with that. This place is perfectly Portland too. It's not too big, the closeness allows everyone to be social and it's awesome, and they aren't obsessed with modern design or style like most Cali ones. It's a comfortable old house in a PERFECT location. Very happy stay:)

• 24th Nov 2014