HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, Oregon, USA

Location was a little bit out of the way unfortunately, but i cant say enough about the place - even in mid-winter when it was pretty quiet, the place was awesome. Good staff, good facilities, and even though the place was quiet it had a great atmosphere as well. Will be back one day

If you're looking for a quiet hostel, with very little atmosphere then this is your hostel. When I arrived the staff could not care less, the lady who showed me around seemed as if she was doing a chore and that me staying was an inconvenience to her. I respect the 'No Alcohol' rule, but this really destroys any chance of a decent atmosphere. Luckily I met some really cool people at this hostel and we were able to go out and enjoy the pubs around Portland.

My stay in a dorm room was nice; however, it was cold during the winter night. Thank you for asking.

• 30th Dec 2013

A lovely hostel with a clean and secure environment and a great location but definitely NOT a place to look for a party. This is a very calm and quiet place with a zero alcohol policy that staff take great joy in implementing over Christmas.

• 22nd Dec 2013

Great hostel, great beds, a good kitchen.

We had a great time at this hostel - great atmosphere, and the staff are friendly. There were lots of interesting and free/fairly priced activities organised by the hostel which were a great way to meet other travellers and to see Portland. We were in a six bed dorm which was spacious and ideal for the price. There are large lockers for personal belongings. The only thing which would improve this hostel is if there was an area inside to drink alcohol - in the winter -9 is cold to be outside.

The first night was bad! The room was in the basement and awful cold. There was a fire exit door that didnt close right and a bad heater. Above the door there was an exit sign that was shining the whole night in green and the bed was quite uncomfortable. BUT: after the first night i asked to change to another room and that was easily possible! The new room was warm, the bed was nicer and there was a bathroom in the room. And they said they will put an additional heater in the other room!

Good location! I really enjoyed my stay!

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Philippines

Fantastic hostel. Stayed here twice. Nice little courtyard for a drink, clean rooms, great staff and very good location

Great hostel. Location is perfect for sightseeing in Portland. Staff weren't spectacular, but they did offer an AWESOME pub crawl which I would highly recommend everyone do. Lots of other solo travelers. Easy to interact and make friends. The peanut butter at morning breakfast is delish.

The hostel was situated in a nice area. Close to one of the MAX lines so it was very convenient to get around. I really enjoyed the T4 hike that was led by Topanga and Tom. They were both great. My favorite activity was definitely the pub crawl with Brittney. She was a great guide and was a lot of fun, one of the best pub crawls Ive been on. My one complaint is that there are no age restrictions. There was like a 100 year old guy in my room who snored like no other, and would just make noise

Only minor complaint would be that the internet isn't great. Other than that it's brilliant!

I was in Portland only for the weekend, and this hostel was perfect! Straight-forward, clean, simple, friendly. They had lots of tips and events going on and posted on the walls for people who had no idea what to do, which was awesome! I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to do already and a full schedule, but had I been more clueless I feel like the staff would be really helpful in finding fun things to do. Felt safe! Would recommend it to anyone!

• 8th Nov 2013

I stayed there for 7 days. I don't like Portland because of the grey weather, but i swear that depressed feeling are influencing everybody there, I found in this hostel more old people (from 35 and north), people are in bed from very early.. going to downtown is 25 minutes. facilities are great, huge kitchen, patios and spaced room.

I stayed at the HI Portland Hostel for one night, but I was impressed by the polite and helpful staff. I found the dorm room and the bathrooms to be clean. The hostel's located in easy walking distance from the Pearl District and Powell's Bookstore (a must see in Portland) and the downtown area (20 minutes walk). The staff recommended an excellent local place for breakfast, Byways Cafe, on Glisan St.

1 2 Next » last »