HI - Portland - Northwest Reviews

425 NW 18th Avenue, Oregon, Portland, USA

Security was good but my electric key didn't work so often. That was really annoying me. Location was good because it's near pearl strict and other attractions, but using transportation was quite uncomfortable so it'll be better just walking. However if u decide to walk, the distance is little bit far to walk. Moreover if you don't register international hostel member then you should pay more, also there will be add some taxes. Comparing with hotel, it's cheap but not so cheap. Be aware.

Fantastic facilities. Cute dorms, comfy beds, plenty of (nice) bathrooms available, two kitchens. Friendly, helpful staff and fun organised group activities. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Great Hostel-great atmosphere! I would definitively come back!

Staff were neutral, and provides service you pay for. Breakfast offers bread and coffee and nothing else. Good location, community is safe and quiet, rooms were tidy. If you've sleep bags no longer needed, could give them to R2D2 shelter for the homeless, just by chinatown gate.

great hostel in great location...sad just spend one night

Great little hostel with a lovely outdoor space. It was very clean and the kitchen was well equipped too. Only a five minute walk from Trader Joe's which was an added bonus. No complaints!

The wifi is so terrible its not even funny. I was literally under the router in the kitchen and was still barely able to load any apps or webpages. This hostel must get the granny internet speed for $5 a month and then expect 50 people a night to share that connection. A joke. Also the breakfast is a joke. The laundry was broken and you have to go to another building.

• 2nd May 2014

I liked the hostel, but when I booked with Hostelworld, it did not say that there would be a foreign transaction fee! I booked using a Visa card, and the amount showed in US$. I only discovered the fee when I got my Visa statement.

These guys are great!! Super friendly staff!! Very chill and nice hostel. Clean and relaxing. I love their secret garden. If you go there in spring, it's amazing.

AMAZING place with lots of interesting people ! Only place you choose staying in a girls dorm where all girls are travelling alone, inspiring ! Its all about Portland and its people.

This hostel reflects the incredible atmosphere of Portland. You definitely should go there if you want to enjoy the feeling of the city and meet the craziest people. Highly recommended.

I stayed in booth HI hostels in Portland, and I preferred the Hawthorne location. This one seems like it might be better located, but I found it a little more awkwardly placed in the transportation system. It's in a cool old building, so of course the dorms are small and the bathrooms old fashioned. There are several buildings that make up this hostel, which was low-key annoying and definitely broke up the atmosphere to have to switch between buildings. Fantastic kitchens, pleasant lobbies.

Was a very quick stay but seemed like a very clean place with lots of facilities. The location is perfect as it is not too far from the Pearl District (within walking distance) and a 15 minute walk from the nearest metro station. Good value for your money. Friendly staff.

I very much enjoyed my first experience in a hostel, and would recommend this particular one to anybody in the area. The staff is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about the area, and the facility and organization is great.

• 13th Apr 2014

No nightlight or contact to charge your phone by the beds. The breakfast rather poor, day old bread from the bakery. No good living room to hang out in. Great location and good price, which all inn all is the most important thing.

Overall, this hostel was a good value and perfectly fine. My only issue was that the bedding was pretty old so even though it was clean, it felt kind of grimy. Also, with the bathrooms, even though they had been cleaned, they also felt kind of gross just because they were older. For example, there were old towels rather than paper towels and the shower was in a clawfoot tub which had a curtain going all the way around so if you took a shower you couldn't really avoid touching it.

The staff here are great, not only are they super friendly but super knowledgeable. The beds are nice and comfy, the room that we stayed in was quite spacious (4 dorm), everything here feels and looks clean. Also the location is in a nice area, walking distance to pretty much any district. Towels are free to borrow and so are locks!

I stayed there for only one night. Good hostel. Friendly staff and atmosphere. I had a good time.

I highly recommend this hostle for travelers seeking a clean and quiet place to stay in the beautiful city of Portland.

The staff was so helpful except for the woman who dresses in all black and works in the evening. I don't think she enjoys working with customers.

• 25th Mar 2014