HI - San Diego - Downtown Hostel Reviews

521 Market St, CA 92101, San Diego, USA

Very nice hostel! Excellent location, lots of facilities and extremely clean. Breakfast could be improved though.

Great hostel in a great location. I personally should've stayed closer to the beaches but that's more about my interest. If you're in town for a convention or to go drinking, this is probably the best location. Also, the staff were very helpful whenever I needed something and the place was super clean.

Crowded dorm rooms with big lockers and working air conditioning. Many nice private bathrooms. Great kitchen and common spaces for lounging. Fast wifi and a well-locked storage room for your bags upon arrival or departure. One odd note: upon entering, everyone must go from reception to the second floor on a single, tiny elevator--a little awkward at times. Overall I liked this place a lot, it is well managed and has a real international vibe.

- happy hostel was 10-min walk from Convention Centre in San Diego - helpful front desk gave me map of area - helped me figure out how to get where I needed to go - map printout + how to bus-it - loved having bedding, towels, etc - very good.

• 16th Aug 2015

Awesome location, really clean and some super duper organised hostel outings. However a little less rules would be appreciated....

It was super clean and had a great location, but I felt there was NO atmosphere and I really didn't like their breakfast.

My friend & I had an amazing time at HI San Diego. It was perfect for us as travellers as there were amazing free tours (with even more amazing tour guides) that took us to all the best places there were! Not only the typical, local, touristy places but also other places slightly out of the neighbourhood & even organised our transport. We made life long friends with other guests at the hostel, as well as the staff, thanks to the group activities, breakfast & dinner nights. Would 100% recommend!

• 10th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

I had problem with my reservation when I arrived at the hostel. One of the bathrooms was not clean. My pillow had a bad smell. I slept without it. The room was not ventilated. The localization is excellent and the staff is attentive.

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not as amazing as it should have been. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff about the issues you had with the pillow and can assure you this won’t be the case if you choose to stay with us again. Our apologies again and we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Staff were very helpful and responsive to inquiries.

Staff was helpful but not super Knowledgeable

• 7th Jul 2015

Thanks for the review. We appreciate the business and the feedback. We'll contact you personally to find out what we need to know more about, as we are all looking to be experts on what our guests want us to know. Thanks again! All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

Absolutely loved this hostel ! It's right in the middle of everything, all the shops are in walking distance. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are spacious and clean. The bathrooms probably could've been a little cleaner, but all in all it was an awesome place to stay. Will definitely be staying here again!

Was okay here. Not a huge amount of interaction and activities with everyone. Staff were okay, nothing amazing. A big mixture of crowd who stayed there. Location was perfect though, right next to the main 5th avenue strip and close to Petco Park.

Thanks for the feedback and for the business. Glad your stay was good for the most part. We will bring up your review with our activities team and look to make some improvements. All the best. HI San Diego Downtown

Hostel's location is fantastic. Close to several attractions in San Diego. The big problem of the Hostel is the street noise that enters the room and disturb the sleep of the guests. Also it does not have air conditioning which leaves enough room hot late afternoon and evening.

Thanks for the great review. We really appreciate your business and your feedback. To address your concerns: we are in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, so it can get a bit noisy in the evenings. Currently, we provide free earplugs at our reception and we recommend that any light sleepers contact us ahead of time. AC's are going into rooms this year, but it is just lagging due to some structural concerns. Our building is 120 years old! :) Thanks again.

Awesome hostel, amazing location around the corner from all the bars, easy access to shops and the bay, 20 minute walk from balboa park. The facilities were second to none, free wifi, free computer access and telephone and entertainment service, the HI have some of th best hostels around.

Thanks so much for the wonderful review! We super happy to hear that you had a great stay. We hope to see you again some time further down the road. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

This was the best hostel I've stayed in and I will stay there again! Highly recommend staying here!

Thank you! We really appreciate the comments! See you next time. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

It would have been nice to be able to open the window in our room to get some fresh air. With 4 guys in a small room it got pretty stuffy and the fan on the air conditioner unit did not make the air move at all.

• 26th May 2015
  • Slovakia

Thanks for the review and the feedback. We will check the room you were in to make sure that everything is working properly. Also, in the future, please let us know during your stay if the room your are in is too stuffy and we can either move you to a different room or see what we can do to get the air moving. Thanks again for the comments, and for staying with us. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

Awesome location, as always. Friendly staff. Overall another awesome experience!

• 22nd May 2015

Glad to hear it! Thank you so much for staying with us and for giving us such a great review! All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

very clean and really close to the lively part of san diego. restaurants and bars around the corner. perfect for the night life vibe.

Thanks for the wonderful review! We'll pass it on to our housekeepers who are always doing a great job. We really appreciate the business. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

I loved this place, so many people from so many places, Wonderful volunteers, very good spokesmen for the city of Sn Diego

• 14th May 2015

Awww shucks! Thanks so much. That is totally what we are going for. We really appreciate the kind words and your business. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown

This was a very clean, friendly hostel with great amenities. The staff could not do enough for you - helpful in every way possible. I would go back again.

• 4th May 2015

Thank you so much! We can't wait to see you again in the future. All the best, HI San Diego Downtown