HI San Diego - Downtown

Fabulous 1086 Total Reviews

• Germany, Female, 18-24
9th Aug 2017
6.6

Due to extra costs as a non-member of the hostel I had to pay 50 Dollar per night in a 8 bed bedroom. So the value for money and the price itself are way too high for the hostel. Location is okay but downtown is just not the spot to justify this ratio. Breakfast is a bit dull and cleanliness is okay. I would suggest to go rather to PB or MB for that price.

Thank you for the feedback. Our rates are based on occupancy, so they can be high if it is the last bed available. We do appreciate your feedback :)

• England, Male, 25-30
7th Aug 2017
6.0

I've stayed in a number of HI locations and this is my first negative experience - solely due to the street noise / single glazed windows. Staying downtown, and in a hostel, one expects noise to a degree. This was completely unreasonable, to the point where I cut my stay short. Unless you plan on getting so drunk each night so you pass out, I wouldn't stay here. On top of this the curtains barely cover the window. Combined effect is sleep is only possible between 2am-6am!

Thank you for the feedback, we are located in a vibrant neighborhood and unfortunately we are housed in a historic building. Because of that the city will not allow us to change the window style. We are looking at alternate solutions, hopefully we can see you again in the future.

• nansea14300
  • USA, Female, 41+
5th Aug 2017

I really enjoyed my stay its situated in the heart of Gaslamp Quarter. All the clubs/restaurants are within walking distance., I used the local transit system to get around. Parking apps will get you a discount. Its a nice place to stay and would recommend staying there if you want to be in the center of a busy nightlife. Downside is the clubs are loud and its a party till 3am that didn't bother me I slept thru it lol. I recommend earplugs if your a light sleeper.

Thank you for the review!!! We have free Earplugs in the lobby :)

• Australia, Female, 41+
3rd Aug 2017

A totally unexpected experience. There was such an interesting mix of people. All ages and all professions. The staff were brilliant and the location was excellent for getting around San Diego. I would certainly stay there again.

You made me blush! Thanks for the glowing review :) We hope to see you again in the future!

• USA, Female, 31-40
30th Jul 2017

I have stayed here 3 PREVIOUS times. Unfortunately, I was denied ACCESS to my prearranged booking, because my I.D. that I had since 2014 still reads a San Diego address. I provided proof of address my previous stays through bank statements, superior court mail, and my train tickets. This particular night I felt DISCRIMINATED against, because the general manager with the fork in her nose wouldn't allow me to stay. Even though the previous night staff had allowed me to show proof of residency,

Thank you for the review! Because our mission is to serve hostellers, accommodations are available only to travelers who reside outside San Diego County. We make 1 time exceptions for guest who are unaware and have valid documentation.

29th Jul 2017

Nice hostel would stay again. slight lack of plug sockets but staff were happy to lend an extension lead if necessary

Thanks for the review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay

20th Jul 2017

Perfect location! Bring your own lock for the locker, but everything was clean and great! Oh and just bagels for breakfast really, but I like to eat out anyway.

Thank you for being a guest at our Hostel. We hope you enjoyed your stay with us. Come back and visit us anytime! All the best, HI-San Diego Downtown

15th Jul 2017

So honestly this was probably one of the cleanest hostels I've visited. The bathrooms, rooms, and kitchens were exceptionally clean. If you choose to stay here on a weekend, make sure you grab yourself a pair of free earbuds just in case you're in a room that's across from a club. The noise level wasn't unbearable but light sleepers may find it a bit difficult to fall asleep. The free earbuds definitely help though.

Thank you for your awesome review! You are definitely right, grab yourself some free ear plugs (-; Safe travels and happy adventures where ever you end up next! HI-San Diego Downtown

• USA, Male, 41+
15th Jul 2017
2.0

I had a booking for San Diego downtown Saturday 7/15, but I could never check in because there was NO parking! Not one space available for miles near the hostel. I had to pay for a room I never used, and had to sleep in my car instead. The hostel would not let me cancel. I'm VERY unhappy with your hostel, I wish a staff member would have told me the parking issue before I booked and lost all my money! Will NEVER book here again - NEVER!!!!

We have no indication(phone calls/email) that you tried to contact the hostel about parking issues or needing to cancel your reservation. There is someone available at our front desk 24 hours a day and if you would have called or emailed we would have happily provided you assistance and parking information. Simply not showing up for your reservation is grounds for a no show fee, as per our cancellation policy, which is explained in the confirmation email we send out to you once your reservation has been made. In regrades to parking, the only parking available near the hostel is street parking which is periodically available and a variety of nearby parking structures which we would have happily directed you to. It is unfortunate that you had to sleep in you car and I wish you would have contacted us sooner for assistance.

14th Jul 2017

Positives - location is unbeatable if you want to be right downtown, convenient to the airport, super secure, cool decor, multiple nice communal areas. Downside is that I chose to stay during the summer and the room was both humid and hot without windows that could be opened at night. It's also really noisy at night since it's right where all the bars are. That's to be expected since it's right downtown, but really - it gets noisy, so bring earplugs.

Thank you for the review!!