HI San Diego - Downtown Reviews

521 Market St, CA 92101, San Diego, USA

We were happy with our choice! Staff were friendly and helpful. The location of the hostel was the major benefit, slightly noisy but location out weighed the evening noise issue. Right in the middle of the action and close to transport. Room was clean, tidy and modern (could have done with a queen size bed rather than a double - my husband is tall so his feet hung over the end of the bed). Was great to have a fridge in the room to store water and fruit.

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it and we hope you come back and visit us really soon. All the best,

This was the worst night I have ever had in a hostel. The room was so hot I could not sleep. The fan was completely useless and the plastic mattress ensured I was covered in sweat. The bar next to us was loudly playing music until well after 3 AM, which would be no problem if I could shut the window. Ear plugs could not blot out the sound. The only redeeming feature was the staff. They were kind enough to allow me to cancel the rest of stay.

• 9th Oct 2015

Thanks for the comments and the business. We received your comments via our internal system as well and have sent you a private message, as we want to make up for the awful night you had. Our apologies on the noise and the AC. We are still working to get AC's into that area of the building and should have it completed soon. The noise is difficult as it kind of comes with the great location. In the future, please call ahead and we will do our best to get you in a quiet AC room. Thanks.

Great hostel!

Must be all those great guests! Thanks a lot and come back soon! All the best,

I had mixed emotions after my stay in San Diego. I absolutely loved the facilities, especially the shower! One of the best hostel I've stayed in. However there is no atmosphere. One of the best aspects of staying at hostels is meeting other guests.There was an open mic night on while I was there however it was a bunch of locals whom recked of weed and only attempted to socialise with those around them. Also one of your staff (purple hair African American) is extremely rude!!! Regards, Benjamin.

Thanks for the review and the feedback. We are working hard to better our hostel's atmosphere now that our facilities projects are pretty much complete, so we will pass on your comments to our activities crew. Also, we'll follow up with you personally to get more feedback with regards to the staff interaction you had. We appreciate the business and the feedback, and hope to see you again in the future. HI San Diego Downtown

This hostel is really great hostel for everybody.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • South Korea

Thanks so much! Glad you liked it. Come back and visit us again soon! HI San Diego Downtown

Stayed an extra night. Fantastic location. Couldn't beat it. Helpful staff. Activities daily. Has a big kitchen. Free towels and beach towels. Rooms are cool. Yes maybe you could find cheaper for a hostel, but it reflects the location and quality.

Aww, thanks so much for the kind words. Come back and see us again really soon! HI San Diego Downtown

I can't remember his name, but the guy who took us on the pub crawl was awesome and super helpful!

I'm glad you had a great time on the pub crawl. I will let him know you enjoyed it! Please come back and visit us again soon!

There are no rooms where you can open the window, I had to get used to this and think it is a pity (for fresh air and saving energy on aircon). I first had a "quiet room", but it was facing a very small backyard and was very dark so I recommend rooms to the street even though they are louder.

• 15th Sep 2015

Thanks for the review! We appreciate the feedback very much. We do have a few rooms that have more than one window as well as an AC, so for future bookings, please just call us up and request a room with an opening window and we will do our best to get you in one of those. Glad to see you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Thanks again for the business and the review. HI San Diego Downtown

One of my items of Jewellery went missing while I stayed there. I may have lost it but very unlikely as it was a very important piece of jewellery. I called them after we left and the girl I spoke to didn't seem very concerned. Said she would email if the staff knew anything about it nut I never heard anything. I feel like the house keeping may have stolen it? Aside from that our stay was ok

Thanks for the comments. Our apologies that your item went missing. We will keep an eye out for it and definitely contact you should we come across it. Also, if you or any guest ever feels like something has been stolen from you, please alert staff immediately and we will check our security cameras and audit our electronic door locks to see if anyone went in or out of your room. We will do a double check and get back to you if we find anything. Thanks again for the review and the business.

I was overcharged in $30,40 and when I called to talk about it I was treated by an extremely arrogant employee and told by her that in fact I was charged less than I should have paid. She didn´t want to listen my explanations and wanted to hang up on me since the beginning. I have been using Hostelworld since 2005 and it is the first time something like that happened.

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with the staff. I will be speaking with them about this matter. If you would like to discuss this further please free to respond to the email I sent you. My apologies for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

I'd a great time, the hostel is right in Down Town San Diego. This is not a quiet area, but you have bars, restaurants, many places to go. The hostel is clean, safe and you can walk around day or night. Parking is only a block away and is $1 per hour or $15 max per day. Just my only advice is be careful with games at the stadium or any special party/holiday because parking gets complicated and expensive.

• 4th Sep 2015

Thank you for the positive feedback, we are glad you had a great stay! Please come back and visit us again.

I loved this hostel, the place is clean, great location, friendly staff etc. I will definitely stay here again!

• 26th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

I was looking for a cheap place to stay downtown, and I found it at this hostel. The location was excellent, right in the gaslamp area, and close to a lot of San Diego hotspots. Very easy access to the trolley and bus lines. The only drawback for me was without air-conditioning trying to sleep with the windows open was difficult due to the noise right outside the room. If I return to San Diego, I would probably stay here again.

• 24th Aug 2015

What a beautiful hostel! The rooms each have a bathroom right outside of them, the showers have doors (not curtains), the kitchen is fun and spacious, the couch spaces are great for reading, and everyone is very nice. They have organized activities, and it's fairly easy to socialize here. Having stayed at HI and USA Hostels in San Diego, I can tell you that USA is the party hostel. This one was peaceful and fun. Only issue: poorly designed skylights in the common area that leak when it rains.

Thank you so much for the glowing review :). For a bit of clarification, our skylight lids do not leak, however we were caught off guard by a summer storm and the lids were completely off the roof (oops). Typically we have the lids on during the winter to prevent any rain from falling on our guest. Sorry for any inconvenience this storm may have caused.

Very nice hostel! Excellent location, lots of facilities and extremely clean. Breakfast could be improved though.

Thanks for the review. We are currently working on revamping our breakfast. We have just added premium juice and coffee to the menu!

Great hostel in a great location. I personally should've stayed closer to the beaches but that's more about my interest. If you're in town for a convention or to go drinking, this is probably the best location. Also, the staff were very helpful whenever I needed something and the place was super clean.

Thanks for the wonderful review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay!

Crowded dorm rooms with big lockers and working air conditioning. Many nice private bathrooms. Great kitchen and common spaces for lounging. Fast wifi and a well-locked storage room for your bags upon arrival or departure. One odd note: upon entering, everyone must go from reception to the second floor on a single, tiny elevator--a little awkward at times. Overall I liked this place a lot, it is well managed and has a real international vibe.

- happy hostel was 10-min walk from Convention Centre in San Diego - helpful front desk gave me map of area - helped me figure out how to get where I needed to go - map printout + how to bus-it - loved having bedding, towels, etc - very good.

• 16th Aug 2015

Awesome location, really clean and some super duper organised hostel outings. However a little less rules would be appreciated....

It was super clean and had a great location, but I felt there was NO atmosphere and I really didn't like their breakfast.