HI - San Diego - Point Loma Reviews

3790 Udall St, San Diego, USA

Loved this place! It was awesome. Some of the little things like there was a small personal fan and outlet next to each bunk. That was great! It was hot and that little fan made a HUGE difference. Also, loved their breakfast items and the common areas were great. The staff wasn't super friendly but they were helpful if you needed anything. We had a car which made a big difference, the hostel was about 15 min drive from downtown but they had a huge board with public transit info which was nice

This is the third time I've stayed at this hostel. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is friendly and it feels very safe staying there. The staff went out of their way to try to help me with a special accommodation. The newly remodeled showers are and extra plus. As is the free on-street parking. And it was relatively clean. Located in a mostly residential area between Old Town and Ocean Beach it is somewhat convenient to all that San Diego has to offer.

• 12th Jul 2014

Before arriving in our hostel, I was pretty nervous because I had never stayed in any hostel before and was afraid of security and noise issues. Fortunately I had a fantastic time here although I had to leave earlier because of a bad foot injury happened when I was surfing. Speaking to the foot injury, good heart staff took great care of me as well as other guests. I am recovering my foot now. No doubt I will come back to San Diego next summer and stay in our hostel again because I feel home!!!

• 4th Jul 2014
  • China

The staff here is very helpful. And hardworking to keep the hostel looking and smelling so clean. The kitchen is excellent. Nothing feels over crowded. Grocery store is 394 feet away. Quiet all day. But bring earplugs because every morning 10 jets take off . I think it is charming with earplug help. Clean, peaceful, open. Rooms here are 4 times as big as usa hostel in gas lamp district in san diego. Great city to visit.

• 4th Jul 2014

First time on a plane. First time in San Diego. First time in Hostel. My vacation was amazing! Staff were helpful and chill. No drinking or partying helped me feel comfortable as i dont live that kind of lifestyle. Met tons of people from all over the world. It was awesome!! #understatement

• 2nd Jul 2014

I booked here because I needed a place to stay while my brother was attending his orientation at UCSD. This place was ideal for a night's stay. Very relaxed, beach themed, with a dining commons that essentially guarantees meeting people (it's as easy as introducing yourself!). A lot of the occupants gathered and watched the USA/Germany World Cup game while I was there, which was great as I am an avid fan. Overall I had a great stay.

I have been traveling around California for a couple weeks now and have stayed at a variety of hostels. This was by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in, with an atmosphere and facility that made me feel like I was at home.

• 21st Jun 2014

By far the best hostel I have ever stayed in! The staff are super friendly, the facilities are excellent and very clean!! The chill out/communal areas are awesome. The breakfasts are sublime, not having to wash up after yourself is nice :) Great value for money considering the location. Nice touch with the aloe plants to help cure my sunburn as well!! All in all I would definitely stay with you guys again and will be recommending you to all friends who are travelling through San Diego!!!!

This was the first time I went to a hostel. I went with my 17 year old daughter. We had a private room. I didn't know what to expect as I usually travel all over and stay in very nice hotels. I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the hostel. It was clean, had a great comfortable atmosphere. There were people of all ages. The staff was great and the facilities were very clean. I would highly recommend. The location was nice, but I'm glad we had transportation.

• 12th Jun 2014

I absolutely loved staying here! Better than most hotels. It was clean and very well laid out, the kitchen was to die for, wish I could move in! Super soft sheets, free wifi! Free pancake breakfast with berries, granola, and plenty of syrup! I thought it was great they suggested a bike company that cost $12/day that came and dropped off a bike for me at the airport so that I could ride it to the hostel and when I was done I just left it at the hostel for them to pick up the next day. So easy!

• 9th Jun 2014
  • light_sourced

It's a quiet hostel, which may not work for everyone. But I loved the guests of all ages and the small conversations in the dining hall. Hostels need not be synonymous with drinking and partying. It a nice way to meet people even if you have the means to stay in a "regular" hotel.

• 7th Jun 2014

We had a great time at this hostel. We really didn't want to leave when our stay ended. My only complaint was that there was construction and rennovations happening on the womens bathroom when we arrived so there was always queues for the mens bathroom because all the men had to share one shower. But that was only a small problem and the construction is now finished. The staff are awesome and we are going to keep in touch over our travels.

This hostel was a great experience overall- my boyfriend and I loved our room, and the bathrooms and kitchen were really clean and accessible (despite some remodeling!) The only con is that it is LITERALLY impossible to get back to this hostel at night using mass transit, and cabs in San Diego cost a fortune. We got stuck a few times downtown- which was not fun. If you want to hang at ocean beach, this is the place for you. Otherwise...I'd go for a hostel in a more convenient location.

• 20th May 2014

Wifi was to slow. Overall very well kept, You didn´t have to do your dishes by yourself, witch was a good thing.

Overall a really nice hostel with comfy beds, friendly staff and good atmosphere. The only negative comment I have is about the shower facilities. When we were there the women showers were being renovated, so two floors had too share one shower... that resulted in having to wait in line several times which was a bit annoying. Even after the renovation is done, I would still assume that more showers are needed when the hostel is full. It would also be nice with WiFi in the rooms/dorms.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Denmark

Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate your comments. I apologize for the inconvenience of the shower renovations. I hope you will give us another try once the renovations are done. It is going to be really nice. There will be three showers and three toilets in the new bathroom along with 5 sinks. The completion target date is May 20th, 2014. We are also installing this month a new internet system that will allow guests to get free WiFi in the rooms. Cheers, Jenny

One of the best hostel I have ever been to.

Thanks so much for your amazing review!

Matresses from hell, but clean beds and rooms, nice staff. Atmosphere a bit boring, smoking and alcohol not allowed inside the hostel.

Thanks so much for your comments. We truly appreciate and value your review. I am so sorry for your experience with our mattresses. I wonder if the mattress was flipped the wrong way. Sometimes this happens accidentally. They are tempurpedic Mattresses donated by tempurpedic. Cheers, Jenny

One of the best Hostels I've ever been to. The Staff is outstanding friendly and the Hostel is well equipt with everything what you need, a friendly atmosphere and clean, nice and comfortable rooms is what you get for an absolutely affordable price

Thanks you so much for your review. We loved having you stay with us and hope to see you again. Cheers, Jenny

I really like the hostel because the staffs are very kind, friendly, cool and helpful. The facilities are prefect. The Wifi also good. The hostel also closes by bus top to go downtown. I also can walk to go Ocean Beach.

We loved having you stay with us. Thanks so much for your great review. Next time you are in town try our fun new free Sunset Cliffs photo excursion. Cheers, Jenny

Staying at Hostelling International San Diego, Point Loma was a great experience, both me and my fiance enjoyed our time. We'll definetly consider staying there again. It's avery quiet and nice neigbourhood, not so far from the beach. (We had a car but it's possible to walk) The staff is very friendly. Wish they had private bathroom options though. I'd certainly recommend it!

Thanks so much for your recommendation! We try our best to make each guests stay the best it can be. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Cheers, Jenny