HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

This otherwise fine hostel is located in a dodgy part of the CIty and is a goodly hike from the center of it, reckoning the center as Powell and Market. There is a trolley coach route, No. 31, a block and a half away that one can use once one figures out where to board it on Market street and what times it runs. Aside from the location this is fine place and highly recommended.

Best hostel I've stayed so far in USA. Very clean. They even had a tea master showing people how to properly drink tea. Breakfast was very, very good. I recommend it hands down. On the down side the street where it is located is not very good and they don't have a laundry. Other than that very good.

• 22nd Jun 2015

Everything was well organised and anything requested or asked was promptly done. There were times when staff, busy with check-ins or outs were asked for help by others and they were always obliging. After a very long time , I found a hostel with just the right pillow for me but alas I have to mention a gripe that may be about my partcular bed- 308/4 it springs seems to have metal fatigue and as a result the bed was sagging. May be just a quarter inch thick plywood sheet is all it requires.

I stayed two nights in a 4 female dorm while attending a meeting. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The general atmosphere in the hostel was very family-like and pleasant, much more comfortable than a "normal" hotel/motel. The shared kitchen is great. I would stay again! A chair in each room would be nice. Sure is good to breathe the fresh air at home now!!

• 21st Jun 2015

Thanks for your review! We love it when guests feel at home in our cozy, quirky City Center. Anthony and staff work hard to keep the hostel looking and feeling homey in a delightfully macabre way. Hopefully you were able to hang out in our bar and try some CA beer and wine...if not, there's always next time. :) Safe travels and we hope to see you in the future! Cheers, Kelsey HI CC Staff

The hostel is in the middle of a homeless' island and the staff ask guests to show a tag. But be aware one color is for women other for men and they do not tell you that. Hire a guard!. If you request and extra blanket, they never have one. They charge you for pancakes and eggs if you want to eat that for breakfast. The internet doesn't work in the room. The staff is not that superfriendly. I have been in several hostel across the US and this is by far the worst o

• 20th Jun 2015
  • Venezuela

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience! Security is a top priority which is why we assign each guest a security pass, have a staff member at the desk 24/7 as well as employ security guards during high season. Extra blankets are available in the closet of each room and breakfast is free unless you're extra hungry for pancakes and/or eggs for only $1 more. We're sorry if these options were not explained fully to you by staff. Safe travels in the future! Cheers, Kelsey-HI CCStaff

Location isn't the best, but I heard some of the staff explain the situation well. Since the hostel is in a poor part of town, the panhandlers are less likely to be aggressive towards you, especially if you just give them a friendly decline. By 12:30 AM the 4 blocks of Ellis Street to the east of the hostel were mostly filled with sleeping homeless and nodding out junkies, which were relatively harmless compared with the other stuff I saw in the city that night.

• 20th Jun 2015

Not exactly the nicest area in San Francisco but the hotel is great and you can get to everywhere fairly easily form it. Yes, there are a lot of homeless people in Tenderloin and it smells a bit but we never felt unsafe or uneasy. I would stay there again

The Hostel direction is not exactly bad, it is very central. However there are very crazy, drunk, drug addicts and prostitutes exactly on the Hostel street (Ellis St.). I did not feel safe in Hostel. Apparently anyone has access to the rooms. The shower water is too hot or too cold. There isn't a stair to give access to the upper bunk beds, the guest has to find a way to climb. The breakfast is OK.

Sorry your experience wasn't the best! Our staff are at the desk 24/7 to address any issues be it switching to a bottom bunk, or having maintenance investigate the plumbing. All you need to do is ask! We're more than happy to show the safest routes to take in our hood which boasts some of the best (and cheapest!) food in all of the city. Hopefully you took advantage of our onsite bar for CA beer and wine, or joined our macabre movie nights, dinners, or walking tours. Safe travels! Kelsey HICC

The area is not that bad, typical for SF city center. I loved many things about this hostel; great breakfast, great security, great wi-fi. Ensuite bathroom in dorm rooms was very convenient.

Great hostel, loved the decor, bar etc and probably the comfiest bed I've ever slept in in a hostel! I know there are a lot of comments about the location not being ideal, but my friend and I (both female) had no problems at all - we stuck to the area/streets recommended by the hostel staff and it was fine. I had recently had a bad experience in another city so I was very nervous about staying here because of these comments, but it was fine. Also, there are lots of nice cafes/food places nearby.

A gothic hostel that plays Scandinavian death metal? Uh, YES PLEASE! Yeah, it's in Tenderloin, but it's cheap, in downtown san fran, and it's not in the most horrendous part of tenderloin. Just approach the Hostel from any street that ISN'T coming from the west direction and you'll be fine. Great staff, fantastic bar, and wonderful interaction amongst the guests. Would (and probably WILL) stay here again! FYI, you may want to bring a small fan, the room got a bit muggy with only windows.

Thanks for your review! We love it when people appreciate our darker side. :) We look forward to seeing you next time!

Was great despite of ellis street. You'll see why.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • Spain

Overall my experience was good. There is a really popular Vietnamese sandwich shop 2 blocks away. The location isn't the best. There are a lot of homeless, drug addicts near around civic center station and for several blocks near the hostel. The staff was really nice. They have $1 pancakes or eggs. Great deal!!

• 5th Jun 2015

Only real positive about this hostel was its cleanliness - better than the other SF hostels I've stayed in. However it's located in one of the worst parts of the Tenderloin, 6+ blocks away from the BART. Bunk beds have no ladders and are high up. Half the kitchen toasters don't work, and the ovens take ages to heat up. The hostel staff can also be quite rude, and are generally unfriendly. The price is also a bit steep. Beds are comfy at least. Not sure I'd stay here again.

Just satisfactory (1 night). Check in time was 11:00 am, the hostel staff asked us to wait till 3:00 pm and we watched them assign other people rooms. Then after following up at 3, we were still waiting till 3:30 pm until we found out that the staff who received us left and was replaced with another. He gave us the room promptly. Then it got worse, net morning we were asked to check out at 11:00 am inspite of getting the room at 4. Bad experience with the staff

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • suhail_16
  • India

Sorry if our our check in policy was unclear. Rooms are cleaned between check out time (11am) and check in time (3pm) by our lovely housekeeping staff. If they finish your room before 3pm, we definitely try to get you in. BUT we will definitely not check you in until your room is sparkling clean. You can always hang out in our various common spaces after you've checked out and before check in. Props to housekeeping! We wouldn't have the beautiful hostel we do without them!

Aside from the less decent neighbourhood, this hostel is totally recommended. Nice environment, very thoughtful process and work in place to make it a decent place to stay and get connected. Finally and most importantly, there is not a single staff that i encounter is not friendly, everyone is so kind and helpful and always with a smile on the face. Keep it up you guys.

• 29th May 2015
  • Malaysia

This is an unsuspecting hostel for its location. Helpful staff; great free breakfast; nice bar for the 21 & over folks, and really comfy beds. I'd recommend this hostel for sure.

• 28th May 2015

Great security: door check , cabinets to lock away your values in the room and a very safe storage room for the backpack. Probably THE cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. Bathrooms for each room! The hostel itself is somewhat perfect (higher standards than other hostels I have stayed in). The only downside is that it is located on the edge of a bad homeless area, however still centrally located in the city.

Great hostel! The staff was phenomenal and the property was well kept. Loved the decor! This place is surprisingly charming in all ways but one... The location is awful. Felt safe inside, walked out and did not feel safe at all.

• 26th May 2015
  • Colombia

Great staff and free breakfast is awesome, location is not ideal

« first « Prev 1 2 3