HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Very small room and small toilet.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • South Korea

My 1st time in a hostel. Will stay at one again the experience there was excellent. Location was right

• 20th Sep 2014

The hostel is a very friendly place full of travellers from all over the world. It feels secure, even though the neighbourhood is a bit dodgy with a lot of homeless people. It can be a bit noisy at night from the street, but that's what you get when you want to stay in the center of the city. The staff was helpful, room was clean, the interiors very pleasant. There is also a bar downstairs if you want to have a beer and a chat with others.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Poland

I wouldn't recommend staying at the Hi hostel chain. It's the second time in one of these hostels that the wifi wouldn't work and it's very irritating trying to get by in a foreign city without access to the internet. I would not recommend the area either. Crowds of homeless, down and outs on every corner. The area has a number of homeless services which is understandable but it's not fun walking around with crazy people in your path. Very intimidating for a female tourist.

• 14th Sep 2014

Location is ok but it's also seems that all the homeless and drug dealers like to hang about on the street outside the hostel when it starts getting dark . Other then that it is brilliant

I was so surprised at the friendly staff. And the decor of the hostel was amazing. The area is a little dodgy but the security was great and kept undesirable people out. Also, the staff could always come up with things you should see/ would be interested in during your stay and were happy to have a chat at the bar while they served you. San Fran and HI San Fran hostel was amazing and I recommend it to everyone.

• 7th Sep 2014

TO go out at night you should take a cab. It is full of homeless outside and it is not really safe.

GOOD: * Not too far from transit * Clean and secure * Staff ask to see passes before allowing people inside. BAD: * Location AWFUL. far from tourist attractions and in extremely dangerous neighbourhood. Meth addicts everywhere. One lady was licking a bin, others smoking CRACK outside. felt so unsafe in the area. * Police escorted us back concerned! * No atmosphere, lack of activities STAY IN THE FISHERMANS WHARF HOSTEL, SO MUCH BETTER LOCATION & WITH ALL THE HI BENEFITS THIS ONE HAS.

The place is in a very bad neighborhood, lots of homeless and suspicious people in the night, rotten places and very loud if you have a room frontside. The staff is really good but it is too expensive for what you get. Breakfast contains of bagels, peanut butter and marmelade...

Clean and nice place Location close to the center but on the st with a lot of homeless and dangers The service was bad ( actually one guy of the front desk ) Not worth the price!

I'm sorry you had a negative experience with one of our front desk staff and with our neighborhood. We do understand that there are a lot of low-income residents here, and that can make people uncomfortable, so we do try our best to keep a clean, safe, and comfortable hostel. While there is not much we can directly do about the neighborhood, I do expect our staff to provide good service, so I appreciate your feedback! Cheers, Mel Assistant General Manager

I've read a lot of reviews before staying Herr, do not let them blind you. This hostel is located in the tenderloin, which is one of the worst slums in SF. The desk staff are rude and hassle you to see a receipt with marker scribbled on it, which is there main means of 'securing' the building. In the end they continually harass you to see it. Spend you hard earned money to go to the downtown HI Hostel instead. You won't regret it.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience here. While having a lot of low-income residents around can be uncomfortable, we love our location. Within a couple blocks of the hostel we have cheap and delicious food, great bars, cool little art galleries and music venues. As you mentioned, we will ask for your pass every time you enter the building and we do this for security purposes, as does our Downtown hostel. We are, however, working on making the security system more efficient. Cheers, Mel

although the staff, the clinliness were very good, the location is not so ideal. It takes about about 10-block-walk to go there and the street is full of homeless people. If you are traveling in group, it shouldn't be a serious matter, but I was a female solo-traveler. Luckly I didn't get into any trouble, but it was quite scary to walk back to the hostel after 7-8 in the evening. So make sure if you are okay with that problem. There are another hostels that are far nearer than this hostel.

• 15th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

El's bike tour on Tuesdays is a must!!

Old building, restroom is poor

Not the place to go, if you feel like meeting a lot of interesting different cultural personalities or party. Good breakfast, solid personel, nice rooms and high security-level

Really enjoyed my stay here! Staff were really friendly and the rooms and facilities were extremely clean! In a bit of a dodgy location but felt safe nonetheless! Great place to meet fellow travelers in the hostel bar!

It was nice to stay Hi-sanfrancisco-City center. There is one thing you remember how to go to downtown, like routes for back to hostel. Because this hostel is near by Slum.

This is a little gem of a hostel. There is always good coffee available (very important to me!) and the breakfasts are great too. The friendly staff, spacious common areas

Thanks for the positive comments! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the coffee :) Happy travels! -Mel Assistant General Manager

They have city activities most nights and have a bar. A decent place but majorly overpriced but that's San Fran for ya!

This hostel is much better than the San Francisco International Hostel. It's much much cleaner, beds more comfortable, and has lockers and bathroom attached to the room. It provided towels and has free breakfast. Unfortunately it's in a bad area of town and scary to go out alone at night. Also the movie playing in the common room was too loud and I couldn't sleep.

I'm glad to hear that you approved of our hostel facilities. We are obviously aware of the neighborhood we are in - it takes a little getting used to - so we really do our very best to make sure you are comfortable and and feel safe while inside the hostel! Cheers, Mel Assistant General Manager

« first « Prev 1 2 3