HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

I love the hostel and its atmosphere! Unfortunately Tenderloin is not the best place to stay at night...

• 19th Nov 2014

Nice place with cool hangout-area and bar with lots of good beer! I really like my stay, I could definitely come back to this place.

This hostel is worldclass hostel! Even if some people might be afraid by the homeless in the street, they won't bother you if you don't speak to them. The atmosphere is great in the hostel! It is perfect to meet international travelers, students. You can have a good rest at the bar after a long visiting day. If I had the chance, I would go back without any hesitation!

• 11th Nov 2014

Very nice hostel, beautifully designed and run, good common areas and nice rooms. Only four beds plus a bath in the room is a good deal in the hostel world!

Sketchy location, but I would definitely consider recommending this hostel to anyone visiting San Francisco! It's very clean, it has nice common areas and a nice bar to hang out with good and cheap beers/wines!

It's a good place to relax with young people.

• 12th Oct 2014

Staff very professional, facilities and beautiful way of how the structure is developed inside. Materass very confortable, room, common areas and kitchen super clean. Big choice of adaptors for electronic devices. Nice bar next to the reception where u can taste a good selection of beer. In the morning a generous continental breakfast served and for only one dollar plus, u can ask for fresh pancakes or scrambled eggs!

Great hostel, its very clean and safe. Staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hostel. Good value for money. :)

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Serbia

Great place to stay while in San Francisco. Really helpfull and pleasant staff. Fun and inclusive entertainment, our private room was sizable and clean. Good basic breakfast, it was perfect for what we needed.

• 7th Oct 2014

I had a blast at HI Sanfran. I am sad it was only for 2 nights. The staff were really freindly and helpful and although it is in a slightly rough area, I felt safe at the hostel and was given good advise regarding this. The breakfast of bagels and creamcheese along with fruit and coffee etc, was awesome! The beds are comfortable and all the facilities were perfect. definitely going to stay again if I can on my way back from south america. highly recommended!

The staff at the hostel were very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly, the room was clean and tidy, it's one of the best hostels I've stayed in. My only issue was the location , the surrounding area was full of homeless people and drug addicts

A good hostel, but next to a slightly rough area. Easy to get around though, very central. Slightly frustrating that many of the guests were EF students. They were less social as they had already made friends with the other students, and had classes on weekdays.

Great hostel chain, love their accessibility and their membership scheme is a nice touch. My only issue with the hostel was really the location, it was quite central only a few minutes from the main highstreet but the area the hostel feels quite unsafe on a night. The hostel itself feels secure and inside I had no problems but I wouldn't like to walk back there on my own at night.

Great place to stay. Very clean very friendly

Very small room and small toilet.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • South Korea

Great place to stay. You do need to be aware of your surroundings in Tenderloin district, though it's central and there's walking access to a load of great restaurants. But there's a great bar, good and cheap breakfasts, the staff are very friendly and helpful and they keep it lively with regular events at the hostel.

My 1st time in a hostel. Will stay at one again the experience there was excellent. Location was right

• 20th Sep 2014

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience your first time in a hostel! Keep hostelling! Cheers, Mel - Assistant General Manager

The hostel is a very friendly place full of travellers from all over the world. It feels secure, even though the neighbourhood is a bit dodgy with a lot of homeless people. It can be a bit noisy at night from the street, but that's what you get when you want to stay in the center of the city. The staff was helpful, room was clean, the interiors very pleasant. There is also a bar downstairs if you want to have a beer and a chat with others.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Poland

I wouldn't recommend staying at the Hi hostel chain. It's the second time in one of these hostels that the wifi wouldn't work and it's very irritating trying to get by in a foreign city without access to the internet. I would not recommend the area either. Crowds of homeless, down and outs on every corner. The area has a number of homeless services which is understandable but it's not fun walking around with crazy people in your path. Very intimidating for a female tourist.

• 14th Sep 2014

I'm sorry to hear that the wifi wasn't working properly. I understand how frustrating that can be! I hope we got it up and running for you. The neighborhood can be a bit intimidating, but we are doing our best to make connections with the community organizations and local businesses so that we can improve the neighborhood and make it a happier place for locals and tourists alike. Happy travels! -Mel - Assistant General Manager

Location is ok but it's also seems that all the homeless and drug dealers like to hang about on the street outside the hostel when it starts getting dark . Other then that it is brilliant

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4