HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Nice room, clean towels every day. Helpful staff and good breakfast! The location is not ideal (didn't feel safe going out at night), but is waking distance from downtown.

I can't ask for more. It saves me a lot of money. It is in unsafe neighborhood ( tenderloin). The bed, room, bathroom are clean. I am satisfied with this hostel. Definitely back if I am in SF

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Vietnam

There was a computer but they charged 2 dollars for 25 mins which you normally have computers for free on hostels and even more if it is from Hostelling international. I was on the top bunk so didn't have the chance to charge and use phone at the same time as the plug was at the bottom (it is not important but considering it is IH and they charge you more if you are not a member) breakfast and atmosphere was nice. Left luggage for the day for free was nice. Not best area but well located

Mixed room is not that convenient. Others are fine.

when a old guy tried to climb into my bunk checked out after one night

• 28th Feb 2015

Here at HI, though our primary demographic are millennials, we do not discriminate based on age (or for any other reason), and we love having a diversity of guests here. I apologize that someone tried to climb into your bed - it must have been a misunderstanding. I hope our staff were able to address your concerns.

Extremely nice place, atmospheric, cozy and convenient, people are great

Would never recommend this place to anyone, neighborhood is very dangerous during the day, and worse during night time, awful, just awful worst 10 minutes walk I've ever had in San Francisco. Returning to the place after your day tour in the city is a nightmare, u'd rather get a cab, never walk in the neighborhood.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad time in our neighborhood. It does have a large population of low-income residence and many services for the homeless, so I can understand that it can feel a bit intimidating. I personally love this neighborhood for it's great art, music and theater scene, but it is not for everyone! Mellice - Assistant General Manager

There was not one staff of color or should I say African American that appeared to work there. I sincerely believe Hostels should have a well rounded and diverse staff. Not just acerbic caucasian's at the desk and Mexican females as the cleaning staff. To me SF is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Thank you Dwight D Mahabir 209-531-6242 Member # 060-5038255

Hi there, While the front desk staff in our hostel is predominately Caucasian/Mexican (though not exclusively so) I would disagree that we are not diverse. We have staff from different racial backgrounds (including staff of color) and in the last year we have had staff from 7 different countries working with us. I do agree that it would be ideal to have staff that accurately reflects the diverse makeup of San Francisco because I, too, love this city and it's diversity :) Mellice - AGM

This hostel was great! Staff was extremely accommodating even though I was a real nuisance about the room arrangement and asked for changes more than once. The neighborhood is a bit seedy but I never felt in any danger. . This was the first hostel I stayed at where there were kitchen privileges (and responsibilities). Complimentary cold breakfast,or $1 for up to 4 eggs or pancakes or combination. Extremely clean but we were in a room of only 4 females.

• 13th Feb 2015

The hostel was really nice inside. They had $1 breakfast and movies playing at night. Some of the staff were really helpful and nice but one guy was just plain rude. I wouldn't stay there again even thought the hostel was pretty good because the neighborhood was very sketchy. It's in the tenderloin and I wouldn't walk anywhere around there after it got dark.

Thank you for your comments - i'm glad you enjoyed your time inside the hostel. I understand your concern with our neighborhood - it does have a large population of low-income residents, which can be a struggle sometimes. I love this neighborhood though! It is so central, it's got a cool art scene and bar scene and tons of delicious food. We make it a point to be involved in the neighborhood by partnering with local non-profits so that we can make a positive impact for guests and locals alike!

The staff here is really excellent! They were super friendly, helpful and you could tell they were genuinely trying to make your stay comfortable. Also, the hostel offers a fully equipped kitchen including stoves, microwaves, blender etc... They also sold scrambled eggs for $1. Furthermore the showers were ensuite and were only shared with the people you knew. I bought their membership for another stay. Seriously, this must be the single best hostel I have ever visited in the US or EU!

• 4th Feb 2015

Thanks for such great comments! Happy Travels :) Mellice - Assistant General Manager

I liked the hostel. It was exceptionally clean and the staff was gracious and helpful.

I made the reservation in the other HI one of the guys in the counter called the other hostel to move the reservation. However the next day this guy was gone and the girl in the counter charged me almost double price from the reservation. When I asked why, she said it was a demand - offer thing, nevermind it was from Tuesday to Wednesday and that there were 2 people less in the room. I felt scammed paid over 100 dollars in total. Other than that particular person everything else was fine.

One of the better place I've stayed. Although the location is not in most safe place, staff were very helpful and friendly, place is very clean and security was top notch. I would recommend to anyone and I would stay there the next time when I am visiting San Francisco.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • South Korea

*** FIRST TIME AT A HOSTEL *** That said I had a great time. The area was a little rough BUT I never felt intimidated by the pan handlers, homeless

• 18th Jan 2015
  • Guadeloupe

San Francisco its a beautiful place, but unfortunately the City Center, the place where it is located the hostel, its not very nice. Its full of homeless (it doesnt mean its an unsafe zone) so its very dirty though. But the hostel inside its very cool, good people and staff (making one exception on 1 male receptionist that it seems like he has no feelings, like a robot). The DO offer you free breakfast (excellent). And the location its very good for using public transportation.

• 12th Jan 2015
  • Manu_Chevy
  • Argentina

Great place. Great people. Great hostel.

Thank you for your great review, so glad you enjoyed your stay! Happy Travels - Molly

🇺🇸 Such a good hostel- couldn't ask for a better location, and the staff are so helpful. Of you are heading to Santa Monica it's the place to stay

• 6th Jan 2015

Firstly, the neighborhood was completely dodgy and there was little to no warning about it. The wifi worked only downstairs in the main part and not in the rooms. Some of the staff were okay but just seemed annoyed whenever you asked for something and weren't helpful about activities or advice. The included breakfast was good and the bar after 6pm is kinda cool but barely any people were there. Honestly would not recommend.

• 4th Jan 2015

Hi Alex, thanks for taking the time to send us some feedback. I'm glad to hear that there were some highlights to your stay, I hope you enjoyed your time in SF too! We are working on updating our wifi, so if you decide to stay again you will see an improvement. Our neighborhood isn't as easy of a fix, but I do think there are are some great things about it and our staff are very knowledgeable about safe routes and cool/cheap things to do around our central location. Happy Travels! Molly

Enjoyed my stay here, girls we bunked with were all very nice. Location is kind of sketchy, but the hostel assures that you are safe. Loved the breakfast, and that we can use the kitchen to cook.

« first « Prev 1 2 3