HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Would never recommend this place to anyone, neighborhood is very dangerous during the day, and worse during night time, awful, just awful worst 10 minutes walk I've ever had in San Francisco. Returning to the place after your day tour in the city is a nightmare, u'd rather get a cab, never walk in the neighborhood.

There was not one staff of color or should I say African American that appeared to work there. I sincerely believe Hostels should have a well rounded and diverse staff. Not just acerbic caucasian's at the desk and Mexican females as the cleaning staff. To me SF is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Thank you Dwight D Mahabir 209-531-6242 Member # 060-5038255

• 21st Feb 2015

The hostel was really nice inside. They had $1 breakfast and movies playing at night. Some of the staff were really helpful and nice but one guy was just plain rude. I wouldn't stay there again even thought the hostel was pretty good because the neighborhood was very sketchy. It's in the tenderloin and I wouldn't walk anywhere around there after it got dark.

The staff here is really excellent! They were super friendly, helpful and you could tell they were genuinely trying to make your stay comfortable. Also, the hostel offers a fully equipped kitchen including stoves, microwaves, blender etc... They also sold scrambled eggs for $1. Furthermore the showers were ensuite and were only shared with the people you knew. I bought their membership for another stay. Seriously, this must be the single best hostel I have ever visited in the US or EU!

• 4th Feb 2015

I liked the hostel. It was exceptionally clean and the staff was gracious and helpful.

One of the better place I've stayed. Although the location is not in most safe place, staff were very helpful and friendly, place is very clean and security was top notch. I would recommend to anyone and I would stay there the next time when I am visiting San Francisco.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • South Korea

*** FIRST TIME AT A HOSTEL *** That said I had a great time. The area was a little rough BUT I never felt intimidated by the pan handlers, homeless

• 18th Jan 2015
  • Guadeloupe

San Francisco its a beautiful place, but unfortunately the City Center, the place where it is located the hostel, its not very nice. Its full of homeless (it doesnt mean its an unsafe zone) so its very dirty though. But the hostel inside its very cool, good people and staff (making one exception on 1 male receptionist that it seems like he has no feelings, like a robot). The DO offer you free breakfast (excellent). And the location its very good for using public transportation.

• 12th Jan 2015
  • Manu_Chevy
  • Argentina

Great place. Great people. Great hostel.

Thank you for your great review, so glad you enjoyed your stay! Happy Travels - Molly

🇺🇸 Such a good hostel- couldn't ask for a better location, and the staff are so helpful. Of you are heading to Santa Monica it's the place to stay

• 6th Jan 2015

Firstly, the neighborhood was completely dodgy and there was little to no warning about it. The wifi worked only downstairs in the main part and not in the rooms. Some of the staff were okay but just seemed annoyed whenever you asked for something and weren't helpful about activities or advice. The included breakfast was good and the bar after 6pm is kinda cool but barely any people were there. Honestly would not recommend.

• 4th Jan 2015

Hi Alex, thanks for taking the time to send us some feedback. I'm glad to hear that there were some highlights to your stay, I hope you enjoyed your time in SF too! We are working on updating our wifi, so if you decide to stay again you will see an improvement. Our neighborhood isn't as easy of a fix, but I do think there are are some great things about it and our staff are very knowledgeable about safe routes and cool/cheap things to do around our central location. Happy Travels! Molly

Enjoyed my stay here, girls we bunked with were all very nice. Location is kind of sketchy, but the hostel assures that you are safe. Loved the breakfast, and that we can use the kitchen to cook.

Should add ham to the breakfast! :) And, our room could've been abit more clean.

I was here for 4 nights, the stuff was very helpful and warm, the room was good and clean. If I go San Francisco again, I will stay here again.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • China

This is a fantastic hostel! Beautiful dorm rooms, very clean! The breakfast that is includedis absolutelyamazing, and for $2 more you can eat all the pancakes and eggs you want. Great sitting area and beautiful building! The area is a bit dodgy, but there are plenty of hotels in the area and it seems pretty safe. This has to be one of my favourite hostels!

Good: decent coffee at breakfast and a nice big kitchen. Affordable local beer (bottles) at the bar. Convenient buses and 5-6 blocks from Bart. Reliable free wifi. Cartoons in the morning. Cheap. Bad: Neighborhood is full of drug dealers, addicts, and ne'er-do-wells, and a colorful population of mentally ill transient people. Very uncomfortable and loud mattresses in the male dorms (but free earplugs at the front desk).

• 19th Dec 2014

Excellent place to stay for awhile and meet many young travelers. This hostel is run like a tight ship, clean and secure despite being in the less-than-desirable Tenderloin neighborhood. Great value for the location and lounge areas

• 14th Dec 2014

The hostel is very nice. The lobby is decorated nicely, everyone gets a security pass to re-enter the building and it's in general clean. Breakfast is bagels and jelly which was good and the kitchen can be used anytime. The room were clean, had nice lockers, and a bathroom but it was very tiny. The hostel is also located is an extremely sketchy neighborhood, be aware of that, no matter in which direction you'll head. If you don't mind such an area, it's definitely a good place to be.

Best hostel I've ever stayed with. Well facilitated, friendly and helpful staff. They play Disney cartoons in the lobby every morning and have movie nights probably twice or three times a week. Highly recommended!

No comments