HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

*** FIRST TIME AT A HOSTEL *** That said I had a great time. The area was a little rough BUT I never felt intimidated by the pan handlers, homeless

• 18th Jan 2015
  • Guadeloupe

Great place. Great people. Great hostel.

🇺🇸 Such a good hostel- couldn't ask for a better location, and the staff are so helpful. Of you are heading to Santa Monica it's the place to stay

• 6th Jan 2015

Firstly, the neighborhood was completely dodgy and there was little to no warning about it. The wifi worked only downstairs in the main part and not in the rooms. Some of the staff were okay but just seemed annoyed whenever you asked for something and weren't helpful about activities or advice. The included breakfast was good and the bar after 6pm is kinda cool but barely any people were there. Honestly would not recommend.

• 4th Jan 2015

Enjoyed my stay here, girls we bunked with were all very nice. Location is kind of sketchy, but the hostel assures that you are safe. Loved the breakfast, and that we can use the kitchen to cook.

Should add ham to the breakfast! :) And, our room could've been abit more clean.

I was here for 4 nights, the stuff was very helpful and warm, the room was good and clean. If I go San Francisco again, I will stay here again.

• 26th Dec 2014
  • China

This is a fantastic hostel! Beautiful dorm rooms, very clean! The breakfast that is includedis absolutelyamazing, and for $2 more you can eat all the pancakes and eggs you want. Great sitting area and beautiful building! The area is a bit dodgy, but there are plenty of hotels in the area and it seems pretty safe. This has to be one of my favourite hostels!

Good: decent coffee at breakfast and a nice big kitchen. Affordable local beer (bottles) at the bar. Convenient buses and 5-6 blocks from Bart. Reliable free wifi. Cartoons in the morning. Cheap. Bad: Neighborhood is full of drug dealers, addicts, and ne'er-do-wells, and a colorful population of mentally ill transient people. Very uncomfortable and loud mattresses in the male dorms (but free earplugs at the front desk).

• 19th Dec 2014

Excellent place to stay for awhile and meet many young travelers. This hostel is run like a tight ship, clean and secure despite being in the less-than-desirable Tenderloin neighborhood. Great value for the location and lounge areas

• 14th Dec 2014

The hostel is very nice. The lobby is decorated nicely, everyone gets a security pass to re-enter the building and it's in general clean. Breakfast is bagels and jelly which was good and the kitchen can be used anytime. The room were clean, had nice lockers, and a bathroom but it was very tiny. The hostel is also located is an extremely sketchy neighborhood, be aware of that, no matter in which direction you'll head. If you don't mind such an area, it's definitely a good place to be.

Best hostel I've ever stayed with. Well facilitated, friendly and helpful staff. They play Disney cartoons in the lobby every morning and have movie nights probably twice or three times a week. Highly recommended!

No comments

• 26th Nov 2014
  • Togo

Everything was absolutely wonderful. I'd stay here every time I come to the city.

• 24th Nov 2014

Oh ! Thank you so much for your kind compliments! Please do keep coming back, we love to have you! Happy Travels - Molly

Great hostel,but area not so good,many homeless people around,bit scary at night..delicious breakfast,very comfortable beds,perfect cleanliness,staff too clogged and stressful(not all of them)Security on top level. P.S.Please carefully select music to play in the lobby,as there was too noisy heavy metal tracks,which brought negative headaches,this is unacceptable for hostels.

Thanks for your review! We do like to encourage diversity and personal expression among our staff, especially through the music they choose when on duty. There's a huge array of different tunes that we regularly groove to, and it's nice too as it allows us to connect with all different kinds of guests. That being said, I'm personally not a huge heavy metal fan, so I will try to encourage cutting back a bit on how often (and loud) we play it! ;) Happy Travels - Molly

I love the hostel and its atmosphere! Unfortunately Tenderloin is not the best place to stay at night...

• 19th Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave this nice review! It's great to hear you loved the hostel, we loved hosting you! The tenderloin is definitly...spirited. I hope our staff were able to advise you well on the best places to go and safest routes through the inner city. There's a lot of good stuff happening around us, including much needed services for the poor and homeless, but also lots of fun night life and culture, so I hope you got to experience some of our neighborhoods hidden charm! - M

Nice place with cool hangout-area and bar with lots of good beer! I really like my stay, I could definitely come back to this place.

woohoo! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this great review, please do come back again soon! Happy Travels! - Molly

This hostel is worldclass hostel! Even if some people might be afraid by the homeless in the street, they won't bother you if you don't speak to them. The atmosphere is great in the hostel! It is perfect to meet international travelers, students. You can have a good rest at the bar after a long visiting day. If I had the chance, I would go back without any hesitation!

• 11th Nov 2014

Awww, thanks for your glowing review! We're so glad to hear you had fun here, please do come back real soon! Happy Travels! Molly

Very nice hostel, beautifully designed and run, good common areas and nice rooms. Only four beds plus a bath in the room is a good deal in the hostel world!

Thanks for your sweet review ! So glad you enjoyed your stay, and thanks for being a great guest! Happy Travels, Molly

Sketchy location, but I would definitely consider recommending this hostel to anyone visiting San Francisco! It's very clean, it has nice common areas and a nice bar to hang out with good and cheap beers/wines!

« first « Prev 1 2 3