HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

The hostel is very nice. The lobby is decorated nicely, everyone gets a security pass to re-enter the building and it's in general clean. Breakfast is bagels and jelly which was good and the kitchen can be used anytime. The room were clean, had nice lockers, and a bathroom but it was very tiny. The hostel is also located is an extremely sketchy neighborhood, be aware of that, no matter in which direction you'll head. If you don't mind such an area, it's definitely a good place to be.

No comments

• 26th Nov 2014
  • Togo

Everything was absolutely wonderful. I'd stay here every time I come to the city.

• 24th Nov 2014

Oh ! Thank you so much for your kind compliments! Please do keep coming back, we love to have you! Happy Travels - Molly

Great hostel,but area not so good,many homeless people around,bit scary at night..delicious breakfast,very comfortable beds,perfect cleanliness,staff too clogged and stressful(not all of them)Security on top level. P.S.Please carefully select music to play in the lobby,as there was too noisy heavy metal tracks,which brought negative headaches,this is unacceptable for hostels.

Thanks for your review! We do like to encourage diversity and personal expression among our staff, especially through the music they choose when on duty. There's a huge array of different tunes that we regularly groove to, and it's nice too as it allows us to connect with all different kinds of guests. That being said, I'm personally not a huge heavy metal fan, so I will try to encourage cutting back a bit on how often (and loud) we play it! ;) Happy Travels - Molly

I love the hostel and its atmosphere! Unfortunately Tenderloin is not the best place to stay at night...

• 19th Nov 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave this nice review! It's great to hear you loved the hostel, we loved hosting you! The tenderloin is definitly...spirited. I hope our staff were able to advise you well on the best places to go and safest routes through the inner city. There's a lot of good stuff happening around us, including much needed services for the poor and homeless, but also lots of fun night life and culture, so I hope you got to experience some of our neighborhoods hidden charm! - M

Nice place with cool hangout-area and bar with lots of good beer! I really like my stay, I could definitely come back to this place.

woohoo! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this great review, please do come back again soon! Happy Travels! - Molly

This hostel is worldclass hostel! Even if some people might be afraid by the homeless in the street, they won't bother you if you don't speak to them. The atmosphere is great in the hostel! It is perfect to meet international travelers, students. You can have a good rest at the bar after a long visiting day. If I had the chance, I would go back without any hesitation!

• 11th Nov 2014

Awww, thanks for your glowing review! We're so glad to hear you had fun here, please do come back real soon! Happy Travels! Molly

Very nice hostel, beautifully designed and run, good common areas and nice rooms. Only four beds plus a bath in the room is a good deal in the hostel world!

Thanks for your sweet review ! So glad you enjoyed your stay, and thanks for being a great guest! Happy Travels, Molly

Sketchy location, but I would definitely consider recommending this hostel to anyone visiting San Francisco! It's very clean, it has nice common areas and a nice bar to hang out with good and cheap beers/wines!

It's a good place to relax with young people.

• 12th Oct 2014

Staff very professional, facilities and beautiful way of how the structure is developed inside. Materass very confortable, room, common areas and kitchen super clean. Big choice of adaptors for electronic devices. Nice bar next to the reception where u can taste a good selection of beer. In the morning a generous continental breakfast served and for only one dollar plus, u can ask for fresh pancakes or scrambled eggs!

Great hostel, its very clean and safe. Staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hostel. Good value for money. :)

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Serbia

Great place to stay while in San Francisco. Really helpfull and pleasant staff. Fun and inclusive entertainment, our private room was sizable and clean. Good basic breakfast, it was perfect for what we needed.

• 7th Oct 2014

I had a blast at HI Sanfran. I am sad it was only for 2 nights. The staff were really freindly and helpful and although it is in a slightly rough area, I felt safe at the hostel and was given good advise regarding this. The breakfast of bagels and creamcheese along with fruit and coffee etc, was awesome! The beds are comfortable and all the facilities were perfect. definitely going to stay again if I can on my way back from south america. highly recommended!

The staff at the hostel were very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly, the room was clean and tidy, it's one of the best hostels I've stayed in. My only issue was the location , the surrounding area was full of homeless people and drug addicts

A good hostel, but next to a slightly rough area. Easy to get around though, very central. Slightly frustrating that many of the guests were EF students. They were less social as they had already made friends with the other students, and had classes on weekdays.

Great hostel chain, love their accessibility and their membership scheme is a nice touch. My only issue with the hostel was really the location, it was quite central only a few minutes from the main highstreet but the area the hostel feels quite unsafe on a night. The hostel itself feels secure and inside I had no problems but I wouldn't like to walk back there on my own at night.

Great place to stay. Very clean very friendly

Very small room and small toilet.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • South Korea

Great place to stay. You do need to be aware of your surroundings in Tenderloin district, though it's central and there's walking access to a load of great restaurants. But there's a great bar, good and cheap breakfasts, the staff are very friendly and helpful and they keep it lively with regular events at the hostel.

« first « Prev 1 2 3