HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

This was my first time staying in a Hostel. It was a great experience. The staff was helpful and kind. The atmosphere was nice, everyone was nice and great to chat with. The location is good. It seems to be in an area of SF that could be considered on the rougher side. Although I had no issues with the location, it was close to everywhere I wanted to go and close to all public transit. Overall a great experience!

• 2nd Jul 2014

The hostel offers a member room rtes if a membership card is produced. Even I did ot have it with me, the manageress agreed to give me a discounted rate after I hadd shown m bookinhg records on the net. It offers good breakfast and on certain daysbudget rates for diner. But the drawback is tht the hostel is loated at Little Saigon where a lot of homeless people stay. It could be a little intimating, espeially at night when they ask for a small change. The hostel let guests make local calls

Reception stass need to be more vigilant when peopl come in as it is no locatedin a good area. The doo opens to a main street. Guests are expeced o show a kind of pass, which is not strictly enforced when reception is too busy with guests checking in or making enquiries.

This hostel is the perfect location and has a great atmosphere! The staff are so kind and went above and beyond expectations! :)

• 27th Jun 2014

Everything is really excellent except its location. 5-block far away from BART and about 2-block from metro bus. There are also a lot of homeless and scary people wandering around the hostel.

Hostel itself was awesome. Our hosts - Norah and others were very courteous and helpful even when very busy. Room was clean, well serviced, support staff were friendly. Bar within the hostel is welcome and was conducive for socialization. The only drawback of this hostel is its location - it is located right next to one of the largest congregations of homeless people in SF - that makes walking around the hostel a little risky. Love the hostel itself tho.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • India

Has it's own bar so u can not BYO. Has a large well equipped kitchen and good breakfast . Good hostel if your in a group. In a sketchy part of town. Needs more toilets. Remember it is a HI hostel so need membership to get price advertised on hostelworld.

As to stay in San Francisco is expensive, this hostel is a good choice. Nevertheless, the location is bad since it is located in the middle of the "crappy" area which makes your stay unconfortable as each time you go out of the hostel, the street is dirty and the smell is unpleasant.... And I don´t understand why we have to wash our dishes after the breakfast! We pay for that! Good thing: the private rooms are OK. But the restrooms are so so so small! Big people could have problems!

Very good hostel but the neighborhood might be dangerous.

• 18th Jun 2014

The hostel is located on a horrible area. Homeless people everywhere, drug addicts, pimps, dealers, etc. supposedly due to a nearby church feeding homeless people. The hostel is ok (facility-wise) and the staff was good to me (with the exception of Arjen) but I'm afraid the issue of where the hostel is located is unavoidable. If you can, avoid staying in the "Tenderloin" area altogether.

It is close to Union Aquare, about 15 minutes walk. It is close to the bus stop to Caltrain bus terminal. The hostel has good security measure; all guests need to flash a paper showing a security number when entering the hostel. The breakfast is good and complimentary. But sometimes wifi is not working very well. The only drawback is the hostel is teeming with homeless people. Like Seatule, many streets are smelly with urine. Guests are told by the reception to stay away dein xertaun streets,

i found it cheeky to charge for using the computers, specially 2 dollars for 25 minutes.

The only thing i did not like was the reception/ check in guy with long hair. rude. the price is a little high for a hostel, but overall other things make up for it.

Everything is really good I would say except the location. It was right next to the dangerous/lots of homeless people spot so I felt really scared by the atmosphere of the surrounding. But the facility, staff, and the breakfast was super nice.

We stayed for 3 nights in a private room which was perfect for our stay. The room was clean & secure & the rest of the hostel facilities were great. We arrived late at night via BART and walking to the hostel following the directions provided when we booked. While the directions were perfect, it might be worth adding to them that the location does have a number of homeless in the local area. This was fine for my wife and I, but might not suit a solo female traveler or those easily intimidated.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • Wales

I booked a deluxe double room with a private bathroom, to myself, as a cheaper alternative to staying in a hotel. The room was excellent - like a hotel! It was very clean and comfortable, and nicely decorated. The communal areas had good facilities, were decorated nicely, generally good atmosphere. The staff were extremely helpful, I loved their recommendations. As a solo female traveller, I found the area a little 'iffy'. The other San Fran HI (downtown) is in a safer, nicer area.

Very friendly staff and convenience location.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • China

While the hostel is located in the heart of the tenderloin, it is close to public transport to fishermans wharf, the mission, and downtown so it is safe and easy to get around. The staff were very knowledgable and helpful about things to do and getting around. The bar has happy hour which means $2 beers for 2 hours!

I really enjoyed my stay at HI City Center. The common areas of the hostel are super cool and readily invites meeting fellow travellers, and the super friendly staff will make you feel right at home from the moment you arrive.

A lot of homeless people around the tenderloin, so i wouldn't recommend the area. However, the hotel was actually very clean and very friendly people, and I felt very safe. But might not want to be walking around there alone at night.

View all San Francisco Hostels