HI San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Once you're inside the place, It's great.If you'r arriving by car, definitely take advantage of the hotel parking deal next door.

Very helpful staff, clean facilities, comfortable beds, an excellent hostel overall. Some reviewers seem to be concerned about the location (was safer than expected for me), but in reality the hostel is just on the edge of Tenderloin; there are some homeless people outside, but they seem to be in their own world(s). If you follow the route from the subway provided by the hostel, you should be OK. On a different note, breakfast is nice but it could do with some fruit (it's California, after all).

Though the area is really not great the staff and property were excellent.

• 29th Apr 2014

Everything was fine, but wish they had some fruit at breakfast. Al, doors need to be more sound proof, not one nights decent sleep out of four as woken up by drunks every night stomping up the stairs and talking in the hallway

The beds where a little uncomfortable

The Hostel looks cool and is clean and well equiped. The private room was great;ç, comparable to a Hotel. The location , although close to the city center is not good, right in the middle of the Tenderloin (which I didnt know, is basically the worst neighborhood in SF). I felt safe in the hostel but not in the surrounding streets, specially by night.

Great hostel, kitchen and breakfast. Our room (with private ensuite bathroom) was very good! The location isn't the best: surrounded by homeless people, even though they never bothered us.

just recently stayed there. area of town is not too bad. on one block you think oh its not too bad then the next block it changes and you like umm whrere am i. the staff was awesome very helpful. breakfast for a buck you cant beat that!! they have people cleaning the rooms everyday you feel like your at a hotel. I would def recomend it. if you have an opportunity to get a private room i would do it as the buck beds are not fit for big people

• 29th Mar 2014

Great place, comfortable, Big commom areas, very clean. Beds are just noisy and when the person above moves u wake up and location is terible to walk because of the homeless people! But even this way, i do recommend!

I loved the atmosphere! Great hostel! Great stuff! One if the most friendliest stuff I ever got to know on my travels around the world! Great Chinatown walking tour! Made me really understand the culture so much more! Thanks for that! Super comfy beds :) next time I come to San Francisco I will definitely stay with you again! :)

• 11th Mar 2014

The hostel was great, staff was helpful and nice, the establishment was cute and trendy, and our private room with en-suite was perfect for two. The neighborhood wasn't the best but we had no problem using street smarts and cabs to avoid any issue's. Some might be put off by that but it wouldn't keep me from staying there again. The breakfast was really great, some hostels provide so little that it doesn't really count as a meal but more of a snack but this hostel did a great job! Bar is great

In general everything was good, I had a good time there, staff and atmosphere seems friendly. Location is very convenient, there are lot of options of public transportation very close. The only thing I would complain was the 3 extra usd that I had to pay just because I'm not member of H.I., probably it's not big deal just it would be good to clarify this since we made the reservation.

There was a unkind staff.

Very helpful staff with hostel functions and services however not a lot of inside scoops about the city. Hostel itself is very relaxing and clean.

It was a decent stay near the center, fair price for SF I think. Next time I'll stay closer to union square to avoid the homeless and dealers (nothing personal).

The best hostel in this city. I stay here regularly and highly recommend it.

Loved the bar and the happy hour!

staff is not kind.

I am sad to hear you had this experience at our hostel. We definitely make it our priority to reach out to all of our guests to ensure that they have a good stay with us. I apologize that this did not happen in your case and that you were left with a negative impression of our staff. I have sent you a private message, and a response with any additional information you can provide would would be greatly appreciated so that we can better server our future guests. Sincerely. Mike Foyder

My stay in the hostel was nice, the atmosphere is good, the staff is kind but could act more open. They also gave me a map with tips in the surrounding area - I really liked the Vietnamese restaurant there. There is the possibility to get a shuttle to the airport which also leaves quite early in the morning so I was able to arrive at the airport at 5am. I'm not so sure about the location, it was frightening to be around the hostel at night - even just waiting for the shuttle.

really well run and organized. i recommend this hostel :)

View all San Francisco Hostels