HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Great hostel, loved the decor, bar etc and probably the comfiest bed I've ever slept in in a hostel! I know there are a lot of comments about the location not being ideal, but my friend and I (both female) had no problems at all - we stuck to the area/streets recommended by the hostel staff and it was fine. I had recently had a bad experience in another city so I was very nervous about staying here because of these comments, but it was fine. Also, there are lots of nice cafes/food places nearby.

A gothic hostel that plays Scandinavian death metal? Uh, YES PLEASE! Yeah, it's in Tenderloin, but it's cheap, in downtown san fran, and it's not in the most horrendous part of tenderloin. Just approach the Hostel from any street that ISN'T coming from the west direction and you'll be fine. Great staff, fantastic bar, and wonderful interaction amongst the guests. Would (and probably WILL) stay here again! FYI, you may want to bring a small fan, the room got a bit muggy with only windows.

Thanks for your review! We love it when people appreciate our darker side. :) We look forward to seeing you next time!

Was great despite of ellis street. You'll see why.

• 6th Jun 2015
  • Spain

Overall my experience was good. There is a really popular Vietnamese sandwich shop 2 blocks away. The location isn't the best. There are a lot of homeless, drug addicts near around civic center station and for several blocks near the hostel. The staff was really nice. They have $1 pancakes or eggs. Great deal!!

• 5th Jun 2015

Only real positive about this hostel was its cleanliness - better than the other SF hostels I've stayed in. However it's located in one of the worst parts of the Tenderloin, 6+ blocks away from the BART. Bunk beds have no ladders and are high up. Half the kitchen toasters don't work, and the ovens take ages to heat up. The hostel staff can also be quite rude, and are generally unfriendly. The price is also a bit steep. Beds are comfy at least. Not sure I'd stay here again.

Just satisfactory (1 night). Check in time was 11:00 am, the hostel staff asked us to wait till 3:00 pm and we watched them assign other people rooms. Then after following up at 3, we were still waiting till 3:30 pm until we found out that the staff who received us left and was replaced with another. He gave us the room promptly. Then it got worse, net morning we were asked to check out at 11:00 am inspite of getting the room at 4. Bad experience with the staff

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • suhail_16
  • India

Sorry if our our check in policy was unclear. Rooms are cleaned between check out time (11am) and check in time (3pm) by our lovely housekeeping staff. If they finish your room before 3pm, we definitely try to get you in. BUT we will definitely not check you in until your room is sparkling clean. You can always hang out in our various common spaces after you've checked out and before check in. Props to housekeeping! We wouldn't have the beautiful hostel we do without them!

Aside from the less decent neighbourhood, this hostel is totally recommended. Nice environment, very thoughtful process and work in place to make it a decent place to stay and get connected. Finally and most importantly, there is not a single staff that i encounter is not friendly, everyone is so kind and helpful and always with a smile on the face. Keep it up you guys.

• 29th May 2015
  • Malaysia

This is an unsuspecting hostel for its location. Helpful staff; great free breakfast; nice bar for the 21 & over folks, and really comfy beds. I'd recommend this hostel for sure.

• 28th May 2015

Great security: door check , cabinets to lock away your values in the room and a very safe storage room for the backpack. Probably THE cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. Bathrooms for each room! The hostel itself is somewhat perfect (higher standards than other hostels I have stayed in). The only downside is that it is located on the edge of a bad homeless area, however still centrally located in the city.

Great hostel! The staff was phenomenal and the property was well kept. Loved the decor! This place is surprisingly charming in all ways but one... The location is awful. Felt safe inside, walked out and did not feel safe at all.

• 26th May 2015
  • Colombia

Great staff and free breakfast is awesome, location is not ideal

What a wonderful place; top class throughout. Superb breakfast, the additional $2 pancakes and eggs was great for walking the city on.....most friendly too. Lots of information came via the staff to ensure we enjoyed the best SF has to offer too! Ellis street may not be the most desirable location, but looks of the street can be (and are) deceiving. Easy link to bus service and various districts, many you can walk to.

Staff was amazing and super helpful. Kitchen was always clean and organized. Lobby and mezzanine was great for hanging out and doing work. Room and bathroom was cleaned wonderfully. Only complaint is the size of the bathroom in the room, barely room to stand and change after showering.

• 17th May 2015

I was recommended by one of the speaker in my class Dr. O'Bannon and she is the manager in San Diego area. The staff in the hostel is super nice and gave me really good advice. The hostel itself is clean, well located (walk distance to Powell station, union square, bike rental place). Lots of books are offered. the people sharing a room with me were also good. It was my first time living in a hostel and there were lots of good small surprises to me. I'm glad I chose Hostelling International.

• 13th May 2015
  • China

We're honored that we were your first HI experience! We always aim to provide excellent service and try our best to make our guests feel at home away from home. Hopefully you'll stay at many more hostels and HI's in the future and we hope to see you again next time you're in San Fran! Safe Travels! Kelsey HI CC Staff

It is an amazing hostel. The staff is really friendly. They help me a lot with my trip. The only problem, for some people, is that they are a lot of homeless around, but they do not do anything to you. I really recommend this place

Having stayed in a few SF hostels, I was beginning to realise that you get what you pay for - there are some real dives in SF, and after a few nights I decided to pay a little extra and come here. And I got more than what I paid for - the rooms are relatively spacious, with reading lights and an en suite bathroom for a shared 4 bed room, the communal areas are beautiful and a great place to hang out - comfy chairs, good internet, great vibe, a bar... Heaven.

Staff are wonderful and so helpful - lots of suggestions of places to eat, go out, thrift shops and other rad places. Super clean and always something going on. Neighbourhood kinda shady but if you're smart about avoiding certain streets it really doesn't matter. The staff are pretty good about telling you straight up where to go/not go. Really fun atmosphere, wish we stayed for longer. Will definitely be back.

This city is super rad! We love getting travelers out and about to experience as much as they can as safely as possible. It also warms our hearts when they can appreciate the fun atmosphere and events Anthony and staff strive to create! We wish you could have stayed longer too but we look forward to seeing you again! Safe Travels! Kelsey HI City Center Staff

Probably one of the best you could stay in.

• 14th Apr 2015

Thanks for the review! We strive to be the best and love to hear when we hit the mark! Safe travels and we hope to see you next time. Cheers, Kelsey HI City Center Staff

Staff were mostly very welcoming and helpful, rooms were kept in extremely clean conditions and my stay was overall pretty fantastic!

• 13th Apr 2015

Thanks for the review! We're glad you had a fantastic stay and we hope to see you in the future! :) Cheers - Kelsey HI City Center Staff

By Far the best hostel I've stayed in! Recently updated, it had new beds, privacy lockers and power outlets at each bed. Our room had a sink, mirror and hair dryer, Lovely. Facility was Very clean. I felt totally safe and the location was great! The Free excursions were awesome! We did the bike tour across the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito, then caught the ferry back. AWESOME tour guide and Awesome memory I'll have forever. Huge savings overall! KUDOS ALL AROUND!

View all San Francisco Hostels