HI - San Francisco - City Center Hostel Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Having stayed in a few SF hostels, I was beginning to realise that you get what you pay for - there are some real dives in SF, and after a few nights I decided to pay a little extra and come here. And I got more than what I paid for - the rooms are relatively spacious, with reading lights and an en suite bathroom for a shared 4 bed room, the communal areas are beautiful and a great place to hang out - comfy chairs, good internet, great vibe, a bar... Heaven.

Staff are wonderful and so helpful - lots of suggestions of places to eat, go out, thrift shops and other rad places. Super clean and always something going on. Neighbourhood kinda shady but if you're smart about avoiding certain streets it really doesn't matter. The staff are pretty good about telling you straight up where to go/not go. Really fun atmosphere, wish we stayed for longer. Will definitely be back.

Probably one of the best you could stay in.

• 14th Apr 2015

Staff were mostly very welcoming and helpful, rooms were kept in extremely clean conditions and my stay was overall pretty fantastic!

• 13th Apr 2015

Buena ubicación! La zona es clave a pesar de los homeless! Las habitaciones privadas son recomendables 100%!!

A localização é a unica coisa ruim do hostel, ele é central, proximo ao transporte publico mas muito morador de rua e usuário de drogas na redondeza. Uma vez dentro do hostel, tudo é tranquilo e você está seguro. Só não ande sozinho muito tarde da noite. O café da manhã é excelende, por US$1 você pode pedir 4 ovos ou 4 panquecas - além do que já é oferecido.

El hostel esta bien ubicado salvo por los homeless que rodean la zona. Las instalaciones son muy comodas, tanto el desayunador, los espacios en comun como la cocina. Limpio y u buen ambiente. La habitacion cuadruple un poco chica. El desayuno excelente!!! Recomendado 100%!!!!!!!!

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Argentina

In dem Viertel, in dem das Hostel liegt, gibt es leider sehr viele Obdachlose.

Nice room, clean towels every day. Helpful staff and good breakfast! The location is not ideal (didn't feel safe going out at night), but is waking distance from downtown.

Great location, even better price, tastefully decorated, cleaner than a Holiday Inn, and most importantly, an excellent staff! Couldn't have been more impressed. Note: those who criticize the hostel for its location in the Tenderloin are either a) young, inexperienced, naive travelers at best, or b) incapable of handling anything that is a slight downgrade from the Upper West Side in NY or a gated community. No one chooses to be homeless, and the hostel has opportunities to help the solution!

Thanks for your awesome review! We love it when our aim to create a vibrant, fun, homey, quirky, beautiful ambiance for travelers is a success! We agree that though we can’t solve all our neighborhood’s problems, we certainly can try to make a difference. Our events coordinator, Anthony, takes great pride in offering hostellers and staff alike the opportunity to volunteer with GLIDE to feed the homeless in the Tenderloin. Thanks for the shout out and happy travels! Kelsey HICC Staff

Uniquement le quartier qui est celui des homeless, pas agressifs mais en très grand nombre.

• 22nd Mar 2015

I can't ask for more. It saves me a lot of money. It is in unsafe neighborhood ( tenderloin). The bed, room, bathroom are clean. I am satisfied with this hostel. Definitely back if I am in SF

• 21st Mar 2015
  • Vietnam

There was a computer but they charged 2 dollars for 25 mins which you normally have computers for free on hostels and even more if it is from Hostelling international. I was on the top bunk so didn't have the chance to charge and use phone at the same time as the plug was at the bottom (it is not important but considering it is IH and they charge you more if you are not a member) breakfast and atmosphere was nice. Left luggage for the day for free was nice. Not best area but well located

Mixed room is not that convenient. Others are fine.

when a old guy tried to climb into my bunk checked out after one night

• 28th Feb 2015

Here at HI, though our primary demographic are millennials, we do not discriminate based on age (or for any other reason), and we love having a diversity of guests here. I apologize that someone tried to climb into your bed - it must have been a misunderstanding. I hope our staff were able to address your concerns.

Extremely nice place, atmospheric, cozy and convenient, people are great

旅館本身很棒,大廳很像pub,每天早上跟晚上都有不同的活動,早上提供早餐跟柳橙汁,晚上還可以付一鎂參加happy hour啤酒喝到飽。不過附近的遊民有點多,員工對顧客戒心較強,出入沒帶ID或security pass會被當遊民........(親身經歷)

Would never recommend this place to anyone, neighborhood is very dangerous during the day, and worse during night time, awful, just awful worst 10 minutes walk I've ever had in San Francisco. Returning to the place after your day tour in the city is a nightmare, u'd rather get a cab, never walk in the neighborhood.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad time in our neighborhood. It does have a large population of low-income residence and many services for the homeless, so I can understand that it can feel a bit intimidating. I personally love this neighborhood for it's great art, music and theater scene, but it is not for everyone! Mellice - Assistant General Manager

There was not one staff of color or should I say African American that appeared to work there. I sincerely believe Hostels should have a well rounded and diverse staff. Not just acerbic caucasian's at the desk and Mexican females as the cleaning staff. To me SF is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Thank you Dwight D Mahabir 209-531-6242 Member # 060-5038255

Hi there, While the front desk staff in our hostel is predominately Caucasian/Mexican (though not exclusively so) I would disagree that we are not diverse. We have staff from different racial backgrounds (including staff of color) and in the last year we have had staff from 7 different countries working with us. I do agree that it would be ideal to have staff that accurately reflects the diverse makeup of San Francisco because I, too, love this city and it's diversity :) Mellice - AGM

This hostel was great! Staff was extremely accommodating even though I was a real nuisance about the room arrangement and asked for changes more than once. The neighborhood is a bit seedy but I never felt in any danger. . This was the first hostel I stayed at where there were kitchen privileges (and responsibilities). Complimentary cold breakfast,or $1 for up to 4 eggs or pancakes or combination. Extremely clean but we were in a room of only 4 females.

• 13th Feb 2015