8.5
Fabulous 1,057 Total Reviews
8.5
Fabulous 1,057 Total Reviews
HI San Francisco - City Center Located at 685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco.
USA
San Francisco CA 94109 685 Ellis Street, CA 94109
85% 1057
37.7841131 -122.4172639
    Rooms available

• eduardoosierra
  • Mexico, Couple, 25-30
23rd Apr 2016

Is the first time I experience stay on hostel, I was not disappointed at all. The hostel is beautiful, even tho that on the zone there's a lot of homeless, but they don't bother you. The staff here is very very kind, helps you in any question you have. It's close to everything, around 5 blocks away from Union Square and the heart of San Francisco. The beds are very comfortable, the breakfast for $1 are the best, eggs of hotcakes. I will definitely will return to this Hostel.

• Australia, Female, 18-24
17th Apr 2016
6.6

OK this hostel's facilities are great. BUT, the location is terrible. It is right on the worst suburb in the whole of San Fran. Really dangerous area. I never went anywhere by myself at night and was often nervous leaving in the morning. SF's homeless issue is very real and has turned me off from ever going back. Stay here but be very careful leaving and coming back! I recommend getting an uber from the front door.

Thanks for the feedback! Homelessness is a very real issue in SF and is quite shocking to see, especially if you come from a place where such issues are addressed/prevented. Our neighborhood boasts a lot of services for those in need such as GLIDE, a local non-profit we partner with to feed our neighbors in need. There is no more danger here than any other part of SF. Still, security is our top priority and our staff is at the desk 24/7 to answer any questions and guide you. We hope you as travelers witness both the wonderful and heartbreaking of this amazing city. Where else but in the hostel common room can you discuss such experiences with people who have also seen this city as outsiders? We hope you give SF another chance. Cheers and safe travels. Kelsey HICC STAFF

• England, Female, 18-24
16th Apr 2016
5.1

Upon arrival the man who checked me in was extremely blunt and unfriendly and I didn't feel very welcomed.

• Mexico, Female, 25-30
15th Apr 2016
8.0

I didnt felt confortable with the homeless people around, but they are everywhere in the city, and more in that particulary neighborhood. I do enjoy the tea tasting on monday, i love it 😀🍵💜

Thanks for the good words! Anthony, our activities coordinator and resident Tea Master is the best! Next time, be sure to catch the Chinatown Walking Tour he leads. It's stellar! Sadly, there are a lot of homeless in this city but, our neighborhood provides a lot of services that help those in need. Did you know: All proceeds from our dinners/activities go to Glide, a local non-profit that helps feed the homeless. By participating, you're helping our community! So thank you for giving back! Safe travels and we hope to see you next time! Cheers, Kelsey HICC STAFF

• USA, Male, 25-30
14th Apr 2016

I stayed 7 days here and it was amazing. Best price, great facilities, friendly and helpful staff. I was only there to sleep pretty much but no matter the hour their was always someone their to help and smile back.

• adeleadamson
  • New Zealand, Female, 31-40
14th Apr 2016

Very clean reliable hostel with great facilities. Breakfast was plentiful; communal spaces nice; carpet seemed new or just very clean; 4person dorm comfortable. Good for people who want to travel & learn about the world, not for those who want to party big time. Bar down stairs was just fine with cheap drinks. The area of town is not so nice, but the staff advise where to go/not go and nicer areas of town are close by. The streets outside where quiet 3 of the nights and loud 1 night.

• Germany, Male, 25-30
12th Apr 2016

I generally liked the whole interiour of the place, the big kitchen and the cute little bar. Even though people seemed more mellow there. I enjoyed being close to Soma and Mission District (quick uber ride). Rooms were very clean, fresh towel every morning and more than ok breakfast.

• Netherlands, Female, 25-30
8th Apr 2016
6.9

The hostel is too expensive... You also have to make your own bed (with a crappy mattress) and the question whether there is some fruit left at breakfast (which is included) gets answered with: buy your own. The hostel is also in a bad area. They have good coffee, though. But at Adelaide and Fisherman's Wharf hostels you get better value for money.

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
8th Apr 2016
8.0

Great hostel, clean, good facilities and really cool style. Just the location is the only thing I didn't like. Lots of homeless not that I had a problem UT wouldn't want to walk down here after dark

Thanks for the feedback! We think our style is really cool, too! :) Our hood offers many services for the homeless and those in need, hence their sometimes overwhelming presence nearby. However, our staff are at the desk 24/7 and give the best advice on how to navigate the area safely, especially at night. If you didn't feel like braving the streets I hope you stopped in our hostel bar for some great California beer and wine and even better company! Hope to see you next time! Cheers, Kelsey HICC STAFF

• Scotland, Female, 25-30
2nd Apr 2016
8.0

It's in a not so nice part of town but the facilities are good and the decor is beautiful.