8.4
Fabulous 1,136 Total Reviews
8.4
Fabulous 1,136 Total Reviews
HI San Francisco - City Center Located at 685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco.
USA
San Francisco CA 94109 685 Ellis Street, CA 94109
84% 1136
37.7841131 -122.4172639
    Rooms available

• Australia, Male, 25-30
23rd Jun 2016
5.7

Just an unsafe place with so many homeless people around. There are security measures taken to try and make it safe but it doesn't feel comfortable. Some staff were great, others have serious attitude. It's also super expensive but that's San Francisco for you.

• England, Couple, 25-30
19th Jun 2016
7.1

This is a great hostel, with good facilities and high quality rooms. However, the area is sketchy to say the least. I would hesitate to recommend, which is a pity because I really liked the hostel (the private room was as good as any 3 star hotel), but just because I did not feel safe in the area.

• Finland, Female, 18-24
18th Jun 2016

I stayed in a hostel for the first time and it was great experience! Staff was really nice and everything worked well. I would recommend this place. Location was good, but there was lots of homeless people but they were harmless. After this experience I'm definitely going to stay in a hostel again :)

• USA, Male, 25-30
11th Jun 2016
7.7

San Francisco is a very expensive city. Even though the price is higher than normal, it's still a very good deal and there's ample transportation options nearby. The only big drawback in my opinion is the surrounding area. There were a lot of homeless people and a very foul smell in the air. To be clear, I never felt unsafe in the area but I really appreciated my shower that night.

Thanks for your review! SF is ridiculously expensive and we agree, we are a good deal! :) Sadly, there is a lot of homelessness in this city. Our neighborhood provides many services for those in need. Therefore, there are many homeless who make their homes on the streets nearby. Though it can be unsettling, most are harmless and our staff are onsite 24/7 to show guests the best routes (and restaurants!) nearby. Safety is a top priority. Safe travels and we hope to see you next time! Cheers, Kelsey HICC STAFF

• USA, Male, 25-30
10th Jun 2016

This was the first time that I ever stayed in the hostel. I was impressed with how everything was laid out and all the amenities that were offered. From the full-service kitchen, to the lounge couches, The personal bar and the great options at breakfast. I had a blast at HI. I met quite a few like-minded people that liked to have a good time just like myself. cleanliness of the hostel from the beds to the bathrooms it was spotless. I would highly recommend HI and I will be returning :)

• Australia, Male, 18-24
10th Jun 2016
8.0

Not too good of a vibe here, everyone seems like they're just chilling by themselves. Probably the best value for money though if you're looking simply for a nice hostel to stay in. Some of the staff are quite rude but (one bad-egg in particular) but still pretty friendly. The China-town walking tour was very detailed and probably my favourite part of my experience in the hostel.

• Switzerland, Male, 25-30
9th Jun 2016

Great place. Stylish, well located, friendly and clean.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
5.7

The location is not great. There is community housing across the road and being female travelers we didnt feel safe at night. The staff weren't very friendly and not very helpful. the beds are also very uncomfortable. We booked a 4 bed female dorm and ended up in a 5 bed mixed dorm. Its okay if you plan to spend very minimal time there but i personally wouldn't stay again nor recommend to friends.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
6.9

First thing that needs to be said is that the comments about the location are not an exaggeration. I live in a major city with homeless people, but this is nothing compared to San Fran and this hostel is right where they all are. They were mostly sassy but harmless, but I didn't feel comfortable going out after dark in the neighbourhood. Staff were also fairly rude & unhelpful. That being said, rooms were nice, cleaned daily and the breakfast was incredible (fresh bagels and homemade pancakes).

• Australia, Female, 18-24
6th Jun 2016

The hostel itself was great - the staff were fantastic and always willing to help, the rooms were comfortable and clean and the facilities were great. My only negative about this hostel is the location. There was a large homeless presence in the blocks surrounding the hostel which made me, and others that I met, feel uncomfortable - to the point I didn't want to be out after dark.