HI San Francisco - City Center Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

When we saw that there were hostels with private rooms we decided to stay at one to try it. We originally thought that it was located on Fort Mason but soon found out it wasn't the neighborhood was not great but it was a wonderful adventure. The staff was great everyone was really nice.

• 26th Nov 2015

I love the hostel in itself but the location on Ellis street close to the tenderloin disctrict in San Fransisco makes the surroundings a bit uncomfortable. (Homeless people and prostitutes in the night, not outside the hotel but close to it) It is very close to nice parts of the city though and the union square is just a 5 minute walk away

• 25th Nov 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks for the review! We agree, the area can be intimidating and uncomfortable. Sadly, homelessness is a big problem in SF. However, our staff are onsite 24/7 to give you the best routes and advice for the neighborhood and our quirky city! Also, by participating in our dinner nights, you're helping those in need! All donations go to Glide Foundation, a local non-profit that helps the homeless in our hood! Hope to see you next time! Safe Travels, Kelsey HI CC STAFF

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay will love to visit it again. Excellentt staff, friendly, polite, helpful. Wonderful people.Hey, if you are visiting SFO THIS IS THE PLACE!!!

• 23rd Nov 2015
  • India

Thank you for the awesome review!!! We love the love! :) Hope we get to see you again in the future! Safe travels! Cheers, Kelsey HI CC STAFF

Great! Nice place and great staff!

• 21st Nov 2015

Amazing value for your money! Free towels, comfy memory foam type bed, lively bar with happy hour, huge kitchen, plentiful breakfast, and just an overall great vibe. The only problem is the neighborhood, but if you are traveling with other people it's nothing to be worried about, and the hostel tells you the safest streets. Overall, I loved this place and wish I never had to leave!!!

The area is not the best, hostel is located close to Tenderloin district. I didn't feel threatened but you have to show id every time you come in. Rooms are clean and staff was nice. Overall it is a good hostel to stay for a couple of days.

Thanks for you review! Safety and Security are our top priorities, especially since our neighborhood can be scary to those who don't know it. Staff are onsite 24/7 to answer questions about our beautiful but gritty city. And our Housekeeping staff are amazing!!! They keep this place in tip top shape. Hope to see you next time you're in town! Cheers, Kelsey HI CC STAFF

The staff are very helpful, they give you a nice free breakfast. The atmosphere is great a lot of people from Europe. Also the hostel has a bar wich I enjoyed. I think the price of wine can be cheaper. There are a lot of homeless in the area wich it was so impactful and sad.

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Spain

I would have preferred that the hostel had onsite laundry facilities.

I didn't really like this hostel. The atmosphere wasn't great and the staff weren't overly helpful. The worst pillows ever!!! But it was very clean and good facilities.

Sorry to hear about your experience! We strive to have a lot of atmosphere but sometimes it's not for everyone. Staff are always there to answer questions and though we may seem glued to our computer screens, we welcome guest questions! Hopefully you met some fellow travelers at the hostel or in our bar that you were able to explore this amazing city with! And, I agree that we are very clean because our housekeeping staff is AMAZING!! Safe travels! Kelsey HICC STAFF

Amazing chilled out Hostel with a relaxed vibe, super clean with great amenities, comfy beds, nice staff. everything you need!

• 15th Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

This hostel is located in a bad neighborhood with some homeless in the street. But this is not the reason that this was the worst experience that I had in an Hostel. What they did was they put in my room an homeless guy so it was me and a homeless guy sharing the room. Because they can't refuse anyone they accept homeless in the hostel. I don't have any thing against that but if you are going to put a homeless guy in my room at least you could share this information.

I just had the feeling to bother the staff anytime I asked for advices at the reception - except for one or two adorable receptionists. Hello, isn't it your job to be willing to help travelers who obviously don't know SF already? I worked in a hostel myself, it's not as if it was the most stressful/demanding in the world, so please, in the future just stop staring at your computers and be nice and available, just as you are supposed to be.

• 12th Nov 2015

Thanks for taking the time to review! Sorry to hear you didn't have a connection with all the staff. Hopefully, those you did approach answered all of your questions and gave you some good recommendations! It is our job and no bother at all. We welcome a break from the computer screens! I also hope you met some fellow travelers maybe at our in house bar or at one of our activities that you were able to enjoy this beautiful, quirky city with! Safe travels-Kelsey HICC

The neighbourhood is seriously sketchy just FYI. Plus there's only so much you can water down orange juice before its not OJ anymore.

Stayed here for about four days until I moved into my apt. Although the area is not the best, I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was great, the rooms were clean and place was comfortable.

• 2nd Nov 2015

I couldn't write a real review because I didn't stay there so I left all answers as neutral. It turns out, for the same dates I had been booked at HI Downtown and because of construction occurring on Market Street during my visit, Downtown was the first one I arrived at (not realising the two were so close together.

Looooved our stay!

Woooooooo! We love to hear that! Thanks and we hope to see you next time you're in town! Cheers, Kelsey HICC Staff

I have enjoyed the hostel stay. staffs are really kind and friendly. Only drawback isthe location which is very close to Tenderloin. If we follow the hostel staff advice we can able to avoid the place. Even we can roam around at night.It is a good hostel to stay.

• 29th Oct 2015
  • India

Helpful staff, nice and clean facilities, comfy bed and all the bits you need to have a pleasant stay. Will stay again!

Thanks for your review! We look forward to seeing you again next time you're in town! :) Cheers, Kelsey HICC Staff

Very clean and nice place. Location is the problem, but the cost benefit is good.

Beware: this hostel is located right in the heart of the Tenderloin district... not the safest and advised by numerous people not to walk from the hostel. The staff I dealt with did not seem at all like they wanted to be there. I've stayed in numerous hostels around the world, including throughout Europe, Canada and the US, and I definitely would not recommend this hostel.

We're sorry to hear you didn't feel comfortable in the area! Our neighborhood does offer services for the many homeless people in SF. A lot of good work is done in our hood and it has a very interesting history but it can be an intimidating first impression. Our staff are at the desk 24/7 (most love to be here!) to offer advice and point out the best routes to navigate this amazing city. I hope you at least met some fellow travelers/friends in our bar. Thanks and safe travels-Kelsey HICC

View all San Francisco Hostels