HI - San Francisco - City Center Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Very friendly staff and convenience location.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • China

While the hostel is located in the heart of the tenderloin, it is close to public transport to fishermans wharf, the mission, and downtown so it is safe and easy to get around. The staff were very knowledgable and helpful about things to do and getting around. The bar has happy hour which means $2 beers for 2 hours!

I really enjoyed my stay at HI City Center. The common areas of the hostel are super cool and readily invites meeting fellow travellers, and the super friendly staff will make you feel right at home from the moment you arrive.

A lot of homeless people around the tenderloin, so i wouldn't recommend the area. However, the hotel was actually very clean and very friendly people, and I felt very safe. But might not want to be walking around there alone at night.

Hi, I'm a 24 year old guy from the UK, I couldn't have asked for a better experience at this hostel, yes the area is slightly dodgey at night but the staff were incredible friendly and helpful and the room was very clean and the bed very comfy. You even get a free breakfast and if you pay $2 you get unlimited eggs and pancakes. Definitely one of the best hostel experiences I've had until now.

• 25th May 2014

It's a really nice an clean hostel. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. The breakfast was good. The towels were changed daily and we also got clean sheets once. The only thing that was bothering me was the neighborhood. I would not suggest this location for families or ladies that travel alone because there was a lot of criminality going on when we were there. Nevertheless, the staff directly told us how to avoid the really bad area when we arrived and the place was really secure.

• 23rd May 2014

The only con is the neighborhood, that looks a bit weird, but if you take a taxi it's not a big deal, though is close to the city center. The staff is VERY helpful and VERY friendly. The rooms are excellent and they have the best board games, though I didn't have time to play. I'd absolutely come back.

I loved staying there. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Its not far to walk to bus and cablecars. The directly area is not so good, but I never felt unsafe. I would come back again.

The hotel location is not that good because there are alot of homeless. Moreover, they have tiny wall so we can hear people walk around & screaming. The staff is good but one of the staff forget our request to call a cab for us & we waited for 15min.

• 14th May 2014
  • Malaysia

This cosy hostel feels like home, with comfy couches, tea and USB ports :) The kitchen is kept superclean and breakfasts are yummie with bagels and creamcheese and coffee with soymilk. The neighbourhood is a big downer with lots of homeless people and addicts. They did not bother me, but I didn't feel safe walking alone. The hostel requests your pass while entering, so security against these folks is good.

Great facilities and wifi was fast.Theres a water cooler with both hot and cold water at the lobby and a very unique concept to its hostel. Love the rooms and the private bathroom too! Clean and cozy! However though location is close to the city centre the street is filled with homeless people and drug addicts which made walking home at night dangerous.made new friendly friends in the hostel too! Overall a great hostel though its a bit pricey!

Once you're inside the place, It's great.If you'r arriving by car, definitely take advantage of the hotel parking deal next door.

Very helpful staff, clean facilities, comfortable beds, an excellent hostel overall. Some reviewers seem to be concerned about the location (was safer than expected for me), but in reality the hostel is just on the edge of Tenderloin; there are some homeless people outside, but they seem to be in their own world(s). If you follow the route from the subway provided by the hostel, you should be OK. On a different note, breakfast is nice but it could do with some fruit (it's California, after all).

Though the area is really not great the staff and property were excellent.

• 29th Apr 2014

Everything was fine, but wish they had some fruit at breakfast. Al, doors need to be more sound proof, not one nights decent sleep out of four as woken up by drunks every night stomping up the stairs and talking in the hallway

The beds where a little uncomfortable

The Hostel looks cool and is clean and well equiped. The private room was great;ç, comparable to a Hotel. The location , although close to the city center is not good, right in the middle of the Tenderloin (which I didnt know, is basically the worst neighborhood in SF). I felt safe in the hostel but not in the surrounding streets, specially by night.

Great hostel, kitchen and breakfast. Our room (with private ensuite bathroom) was very good! The location isn't the best: surrounded by homeless people, even though they never bothered us.

just recently stayed there. area of town is not too bad. on one block you think oh its not too bad then the next block it changes and you like umm whrere am i. the staff was awesome very helpful. breakfast for a buck you cant beat that!! they have people cleaning the rooms everyday you feel like your at a hotel. I would def recomend it. if you have an opportunity to get a private room i would do it as the buck beds are not fit for big people

• 29th Mar 2014

Great place, comfortable, Big commom areas, very clean. Beds are just noisy and when the person above moves u wake up and location is terible to walk because of the homeless people! But even this way, i do recommend!

View all San Francisco Hostels