HI San Francisco - City Center Reviews

685 Ellis Street, CA 94109, San Francisco, USA

Great hostel to get to know SF! Only downside is the neighborhood: it is situated in Tenderloin, which is definitely not one of the best neighborhoods in SF: a lot of crime. The neighborhood itself does not feel very safe, especially not in the evenings or at night. It is central though, so you can get to other places in SF easily!

• 20th Oct 2015

too many homesless on the street. it's scary.

• 19th Oct 2015

The staff is great, specialy Nicky. She was very friendly and helpful with tips and suggestions!

I didn't like San Francisco and the hostel was like people in this city: Cold and rude. I didn't find the familiar and warm atmosphere that usually I experienced in other hostels. I don't like this hostel because there is too much rules for me. I'm in vacation and I don't want have to show my ID every time I come In. I'm not in Jail ! Also we don't have right to take food in the rooms. All these rules and the high price for the night (location is not really good) for me this is not an hostel.

Sorry to hear you didn't care for San Francisco. Our neighborhood and the characters you meet can be intimidating especially if you're new to the city. Many social services that do a lot of good for people of low or no income are located nearby. This is why security is one of our top priorities. Our staff are at the desk 24/7 to offer advice and make sure guests feel comfortable exploring the many things this amazing city has to offer. I hope you give the city another go. Cheers-Kelsey HICC

We really enjoyed our time staying in HI- San Fran City Centre. The staff were awesome and were very helpful with what to do and what not to do. Very clean and comfortable with great value for money. The breakfast was also a great way to start the day.

• 12th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your review! We love it when people have a blast at our lovely hostel and this beautiful city. I definitely agree with you about the breakfast! Those $1 eggs and/or pancakes are a great way to fill up before going out to explore. The free bagels, toast and oatmeal aren't bad either. :) Hopefully you were also able to enjoy some California beer and wine in our bar after your adventures out on the town. If not, there's always next time! ;) Cheers and safe travels! Kelsey HI CC

Overall an ok hostel to stay a few nights in. Everything is pretty much average and it's very clean.

Excellent personal,very friendly and have a good knowledge of bus routes and events in the city. The hostel can boast. of clean bedrooms and toilets. A hearty breakfast with eggs / pancakes for an extra dollar very thoughtful addition Tea n coffee all through the day was a welcome pick- me - up. I loved that the hostel is in an old building but with thoughtful modern amenities to make the stay comfortable Free WiFi was a boon. Free change of Personal towels too. Great Stay. .

i would be here again! thanks!

Here's pretty nice! The rooms very cleanly and people are nice to everyone!

Got some miscommunication and stay one less night there not regreting it.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Hong Kong

We absolutely loved our stay at HI San Francisco City Center. The district is not the safest or cleanest, as it is on the edge of the Tenderloin, but the hostel itself is fantastic, and the security was amazing. We stayed in a 4 bed female dorm with an ensuite, which was cleaned well every day. The free breakfasts were fantastic, but what we loved the most was the $1 4 stack pancakes, which were delicious. The hostel has a great vibe, and all the staff we spoke to were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed for 4 nights. Room 4 beds with en suite bathroom which was useful but no air con so it does get a bit hot. Parking nearby was $23/night. I didn't use public transport at all but only an hours walk from Fishermans Wharf or Golden Gate Park. Bar was only $4 a pint and the city centre HI the only one in town with a bar so the bar crawls start there. Very helpful staff and breakfast also good with fruit and bagels. SF hostels are expensive and lots of homeless on Ellis St but enjoyable stay.

Good clean hostel-- not too social most people are just plugged in all the time. Though breakfast is great and there are events on everyday

The hostel was

• 18th Sep 2015

Thank you !

• 16th Sep 2015
  • Taiwan

My first hostel in SF and it spoiled me. facilities are very clean. There are lockers, reading lights, and an ensuite bathroom in every room. Security Is good, staff checks room card before entering. first time I stayed here it was a bit hard to meet anyone, but I loved it so much decided to buy a membership. I came back later in the year and met tons of cool people while having an inexpensive beer at the hostel bar! - negatives (the neighbourhood lots of homeless) but walkable to attractions!

Listen, there is no way getting around the fact that this hostel is located in the homeless part of town. Admittedly, I was warned about this before I arrived but I dismissed it, thinking fellow travelers were exaggerating - they wasn't. I never had any trouble but I did feel uncomfortable at times. That being the said the hostel is very good. Breakfast is worth getting up for. Rooms are well maintained. Beds are very comfortable and it's easy to meet in the bar at night which serve cheap beer.

The hostel is good enough for a short stay. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

This was one of the best hostels I've stayed at (and I've stayed at a lot of them).

• 12th Sep 2015

The hostel is centrally located and was very friendlly. I was there for only one night so don't have much to say except it's a pretty good place to stay.

View all San Francisco Hostels