HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

I was there for 6 days and it was by far the best hostel I stayed in during my road trip along the west coast. The staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about everything. There were daily events organised by the hostel which made it easier to socialise with other hostel guests, I'll defo recommend this hostel to anyone and I'll probably be looking to stay there again if I'm ever back there.

• 13th Aug 2014

everything is good!

Central location but not so safe after dark Bathroom facilities need more maintenance and cleaning

While this hostel is located near lots of transportation in central SF, Union Square isn't the nicest neighborhood, and there are more interesting neighborhoods to explore. The hostel bathrooms had some nice water-saving features, and the staff was helpful.

I'm happy you found our environmentally conscious, water-saving restrooms to your liking -- we like them too! I like to think of San Francisco as the New York of the West Coast. Characters at every turn and you'll find something you've never seen before down every alley. That being said, I'm glad you found our location an easy starting point for your SF exploration!

Amazing hostel with a good layout for socializing with fellow travelers. There are two bottle shops nearby which is awesome and two computers with SD Card slots so you can upload photos to FB with ease! Kitchen

Thank you for your kind words! It's always great to hear guests enjoying and adding to the vibe we try to cultivate. People stay at hostels for cultural interactions and I'm stoked you were able to encounter many during your stay with us. Love, HI-SF Downtown

Great Hostel! Awesome people.

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Chile

This was the best hostel we stayed at in the US, and we woul definitely stay there again next time. It was mere minutes away from union square, and they have lots of fun group activities for the guests who are 21 and over (we weren't unfortunately). The free breakfast was bagels or instant porridge which was fine by me because I love bagels. All in all this place rocked.

Staff were very rude and unhelpful, we were put in to a room that we didn't book that we payed extra for and they were unapologetic and unhelpful, will definatley not be returning

• 4th Aug 2014

On behalf of our hostel and staff, I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our team will investigate the circumstances surrounding your reservation to ensure situations such as yours are handled properly and professionally, as we do with all of our guests and reservations.

Good location and cleanness of the rooms; somewhat too little space in the breakfast room. Can be recommanded.

• Mixed Group, 41+

Staff was superior. Location is superb. Room felt a bit tight, but bathroom was large and after one figured out how to use the shower....well, after an inquiry someone hung a sign in bathroom...nice touch...tradeoff between air from outside and loud noise...fabulous breakfast. Will stay here again and if you join HI-USA you can get a buy one/get one free stay here.

Staffs are all good and I could meet good friends from other countries. Breakfast was good as well

• South Korea

The hotel was great, we loved it. However, it took a bit of time for us to check in because the guy at the reception was very distracted and didn't seem to pay much attention to what he was doing.

• 27th Jul 2014

Cold Showers (2 days)!!! Staff didnt care, apologise or look to do anything to remedy the issue.

Nice hostel very close to Union Square! Every bed has it's own light and plugs to charge phone etc. Breakfast was ok (bagels and jam), doesn't need to be much more for me! Would definetly recommend this hostel.

My initial check in was not good. The staff member looked flustered from a large check in before me, was not very welcoming. The room was small but nice w/ great lockers, however, there was an incredibly bad smell in the room that did not go away for my 3 nt stay. I didn't have a hot shower the whole stay - cold to luke warm the whole time. Great breakfast. The wifi didn't work either although it worked at other places in the city and I had to pay to use hostel computer.

Really helpful, friendly staff. Nothing was a problem and made you feel welcome.

• 24th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

A very nice place to stay, great room mates! Very active social bunch within the hostel itself, and that's a lot of fun! :)

not enough room for bags in dorm rooms.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. As of August 1st, all of our dorm rooms will have been updated with new bunks that are capable of accommodating larger checked-bag luggage underneath the beds to create more space in the dorm rooms. We hope you'll stay with us soon to see the new upgrades!

Nice Hostel although very big, so it's Not that easy to get in touch with other people, but not impossible. Nice breakfast!

• 16th Jul 2014

We're so happy you enjoyed our assorted breakfast of authentic SF bagels, porridge, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and milk! As the largest hostel on the West Coast, it can be a bit overwhelming finding people. We highly recommend suggesting a common meeting ground at either the lobby or the lounge. If you have to wait, you might as well be able to enjoy some great tunes selected by our staff!

Nice place to stay. Convenient location. A bit pricy but that's SF. Breakfast leaves a little to be desired. Rooms are big and comfortable. Would stay here again!

We're stoked you enjoyed your time here with us in Downtown, San Francisco! The room rates we offer are slightly more expensive now than in the off season due to high demand and increased services. We like to believe the quality is in line with the rates, especially with our new bunk beds that offer two USB ports, two outlets, a reading light, shelve, and privacy panel. We hope to see you again for more fun under the fog!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5