HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

Great hostel. Bedroom and bathroom are clean. However, it is quite expensive.

• 17th May 2015

diamond in the rough

• 17th May 2015

Clean....safe....great service from staff.....centrally located....great value!

Whenever I travel alone in the cities in US, I would definitely pick HI hostel as it is always clean, conveniently located and friendly. HI- San Francisco is no exception. Solo female traveller might want to know that they should be careful of their safety in the Tenderloin area near the hostel. It's still a good location - close to everything. I would definitely recommend HI hostels personally to my friends.

• 11th May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Extremely helpful and engaging staff; the place was clean and quiet. I definitely would recommend staying there.

Thanks to the housekeepers for making our bed everyday and changing our towels every second day...unexpected and much appreciated :-) Also, the lady who worked in the kitchen at breakfast time was working non stop to make sure there was always enough fruit and bagels.

I really enjoyed my stay at HI Downtown Hostel in SF! The location is great (near Union Square and the Powell St. BART stop), and the strong security was key (that part of town can be a little rough at night). All of the staff I met were very kind and helpful, as were the other travelers. It's generally clean, and the beds, kitchen, and common areas were all great. I found it a little expensive, but still preferable to the hotel rates in SF. Highly recommend!

• 8th May 2015

Very polite and friendly employees, many interesting activities, excellent internet access but poor breakfast.

• 6th May 2015
  • Greece

The only thing we didn't like was the amount of kitchen space given that this is a big hostel, it was a mess to get breakfast (which was great, free bagels, fruits, oat meal, and coffee/tea). Also we thought the kitchen closed quite early (10'm) given that you're obviously out all day doing the tourist thing, come back and be able to take a bath.. having to run to get a hold of dinner was not cool.

The place was very very clean did not use the facility was out every day. Was surprised about the clean sheets n towels.

One is within walking distance of so many important places of interest.

• 3rd May 2015

Great location- the room we had was quiet and comfortable. The breakfast is limited to bagels, fruit, and instant oatmeal. It would be nice to have more variety in the menu including a non-peanut butter protein. We would definitely stay here again.

• 26th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The hostel is conveniently situated close to public transit. There are social activities pretty much every day and excellent opportunities to meet new people. The rooms are clean with plenty of storage space. The common areas like the kitchen or the lounge are hip and let one plan the next trip or process that day's adventures. An additional plus is that there are guests of all ages, so it doesn't have a frat party/spring break feel. Highly recommended!

The shower, the shower, the shower, you have to pull the lining of the faucet for it to come on! Weirest shower ever. And what about the toilet-faucet? My hands didn't smell poopy after washing them. This sink water the same water used to flush the toilet. Needmore places to sit and do wifi!

Great location for shopping or music venues. I've stayed here multiple times; while it may not be the cheapest in town, I've always felt safe. Love the huge under bed lockers; provide a secure way to store stuff and ensure you're not tripping over everything. Love the plug/USB access for each bed. Breakfast is good: bagels, fruit, oatmeal, tea/coffee. Just bring earplugs; you're in the city.

The best thing about this hostel was the breakfast and the location, the staff were very friendly, met a lot of people had a lot of fun. The only downside was the noise from the street.

It´s a great place to stay for a week. Central hostel. No doubt to recommend anyone, of all ages, to go to this hostel.

rough neighborhood, awesome hostel though! i had a blast but with all those homesless and drug addicts around there, definitely not the safest of areas in SF best hostel i've been at in the states, en par with int'l ones!

I enjoyed my stay at this hostel! Excellent location, close to transit, restaurants and shops. Helpful staff. Everything was very clean, breakfast was delicious (bagels, oatmeal, fruit and coffee) and I also appreciated the filtered water machines. I especially enjoyed the large bathtub (with very HOT water) in my ensuite room. The only possible negatives was the street noise and the old, slow elevator. Would stay here again!

Mattress aren't comfortable More breakfast options

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5