HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

2078 Total Reviews

Dining area too small to handle nos.

Good hostel and the staff are very friendly and provide an excellent service. I think the hostel would benefit from more and better toilet and shower facilities however the rest of the hostel is comfortable and modern. Really big lockable storage under the beds for all your items!

thank you for the hospitality and the kindness as always. i did enjoyed my stay. thank you

I have never stayed at a better, cleaner, safer, and most friendliest hostel. It was like my friends and I were in a room that no one has stayed in before. Everything was so clean and perfect. The staff was incredibly nice from the first encounter when we were early and they let us store our bags for free, to the last moment when my bag accidently fell down a flight of stairs in the luggage room and one of the nicest hostel staff went down and carried it all the way back upstairs. Thank you!!!!

• 17th Mar 2015

Airport shuttle arrangement was wonderful!

Nice hostel, clean, great facilities, and seems to attract a good crowd. My main issue was paying the extra for a private room only to share one wall with the kitchen, and two other walls with bathrooms and showers. You'd get a better sleep in a dorm. Not worth the (substantial amount of) money.

Great place stay, wish Id stayed longer, will definitely stay here again next time I'm in San Francisco.

The best Hostel in San Fran. Don't stay on the Internacional Hostel, go to this place instead: Downton HI Hostel!

possibly one of the fanciest hostels i've ever been to. high tech bunk bed frames and spacious rooms.

Almost everything works fine here. It's just bothering they charge $3 per night for not being "member" of Hi Hostels.

The location was great! Walking distance to Union Square, Macy's and Powell Station. Very accessible too. The staff were super nice. They provided me with great information and check in and out was a breeze. The atmosphere was nice too but it could get a tad bit noisy especially at the 2nd floor where lots of people gather around. Otherwise, facilities and cleanliness of the room were great! i would stay here again.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Singapore

Stayed here for a night while in town. Beds have lockable lockers under them (bring a padlock) and the bathrooms and showers were clean. In a big building in an excellent location - great base for SF.

This is more of the more fun HI Hostels I have stayed in. It's a beautiful old building with excellent facilities. The kitchen/dining area was massive, there's washrooms all over and great common rooms. Would definitely stay again.

The room and public spaces are good. Staffs are quite friendly and helpful.

My only issue was, as making the trip to SF, my motorcycle broke down, leading me to miss my reservation for the first night, and I was still charged for it! I attempted to call but no one answered the phones, then battery died. It was that sort of night. The next day, the guest manager was kind enough to help me but I still couldn't get a refund or at least used the previous night's fee for another night. I think that would've been fair or considerate. Still, hostels all the way!

Nice hostel. Comfy bunk beds that don't hurt my feet when climbing ladder - score! My room was a little small for 4 peeps plus luggage but there was a large redundant space in the bathroom so I stored my suitcases there instead.

Hiya! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our "Ouchless" ladders! Sometimes people do not take advantage of them, so I wanted to take this opportunity to point out that we have some pretty big lockers under each bunk which can hold fairly enormous suitcases. Safe Travels! Mike Foyder General Manager

I have been here for the 3rd time and it is still very good. They have gotten new beds and lockers in the meantime which are pretty good for a hostel. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. You will like it...

Great location. Loved the light, plugs and locker by the bed. Great kitchen!

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hostel. Clean facilities and good location with close proximity to the BART station. Staff members are friendly especially Victoria, who is super nice.

• 8th Feb 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us some positive feedback! I know our staff members really appreciate the compliments and validation for their efforts! And yes, I completely agree with you that Victoria is awesome! Cheers! Mike Foyder General Manager

It was my first time staying at a hostel so I was not sure what to expect, but I loved it. Great for the price, great facilities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Met people from a couple different countries. Would definitely come back.

• 7th Feb 2015