HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

super professional staff. very clean and organized facility. Loved my experience here. THis is what hostelling should be like everywhere! good job HI SF!

Wifi and washing machines did not work

One of the better hostels I have stayed in. Very tidy, great breakfast provided, secure and plenty of facilities. It can be fairly noisy as to be expected due to the location of the hostel centre downtown but well worth it for the location, so handy to everywhere. They even supply free ear plugs which made the noise no bother at all!!! Highly recommended.

Great great great! Professional, friendly, dedicated staff. clean facility. Organized hostel. Great breakfast. Amazing value. Highly recommended!

Great hostel, clean, fun staff, great activities. Would definitely stay here again. However, there are a lot of homeless people in the neighborhood.

Great hostel overall - good location, very helpful and friendly staff, good common room and breakfast / kitchen areas. En suite bathrooms aren't so nice because the sink is in the room, so unless you're the earliest riser, be prepared to listen to that sink running all morning. Our door also didn't close properly, if people didn't pull it shut, so the room was never secure. But we had lockers anyway, so who cares. I'd stay here again. Unlimited bagels for breakfast. Mmm.

When booking ask for a room away from the common lounge. NO HOT WATER. Great atmosphere though and lots to do both with hostel and in surrounding areas!

• 18th Aug 2014

Great hostel. We had a private room that was clean and comfortable. The staff were very nice and tried to help when ever they could. The hostel has daily activities and we joined a beer taistimg activity which was very nice.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Israel

I was there for 6 days and it was by far the best hostel I stayed in during my road trip along the west coast. The staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about everything. There were daily events organised by the hostel which made it easier to socialise with other hostel guests, I'll defo recommend this hostel to anyone and I'll probably be looking to stay there again if I'm ever back there.

• 13th Aug 2014

I loved the hostel, thanks for the nice atmosphere and the very lovely room.

everything is good!

Central location but not so safe after dark Bathroom facilities need more maintenance and cleaning

While this hostel is located near lots of transportation in central SF, Union Square isn't the nicest neighborhood, and there are more interesting neighborhoods to explore. The hostel bathrooms had some nice water-saving features, and the staff was helpful.

I'm happy you found our environmentally conscious, water-saving restrooms to your liking -- we like them too! I like to think of San Francisco as the New York of the West Coast. Characters at every turn and you'll find something you've never seen before down every alley. That being said, I'm glad you found our location an easy starting point for your SF exploration!

want staffs in the counter to be more kind

• 9th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

Amazing hostel with a good layout for socializing with fellow travelers. There are two bottle shops nearby which is awesome and two computers with SD Card slots so you can upload photos to FB with ease! Kitchen

Thank you for your kind words! It's always great to hear guests enjoying and adding to the vibe we try to cultivate. People stay at hostels for cultural interactions and I'm stoked you were able to encounter many during your stay with us. Love, HI-SF Downtown

Great Hostel! Awesome people.

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Chile

This was the best hostel we stayed at in the US, and we woul definitely stay there again next time. It was mere minutes away from union square, and they have lots of fun group activities for the guests who are 21 and over (we weren't unfortunately). The free breakfast was bagels or instant porridge which was fine by me because I love bagels. All in all this place rocked.

Staff were very rude and unhelpful, we were put in to a room that we didn't book that we payed extra for and they were unapologetic and unhelpful, will definatley not be returning

• 4th Aug 2014

On behalf of our hostel and staff, I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Our team will investigate the circumstances surrounding your reservation to ensure situations such as yours are handled properly and professionally, as we do with all of our guests and reservations.

Good location and cleanness of the rooms; somewhat too little space in the breakfast room. Can be recommanded.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Staff was superior. Location is superb. Room felt a bit tight, but bathroom was large and after one figured out how to use the shower....well, after an inquiry someone hung a sign in bathroom...nice touch...tradeoff between air from outside and loud noise...fabulous breakfast. Will stay here again and if you join HI-USA you can get a buy one/get one free stay here.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6