HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

2014 Total Reviews

Security too good! Have to show your card before entering the building, which is a bit too much I guess... What if you forget your card? Breakfast less than average good. Only jam and bread...

• 16th Jan 2015

I've been to four HI hostels and this was the one I was disappointed with. Problems being: Location: the hostel has alley ways all around where the homeless stay overnite usually shouting at each other, when there not around the front trying to get money off you. Staff: check in and out was easy. But between those times it felt more of a chore to help me. There local knowledge was limited. Cleaning staff extremely rude. Atmosphere: limited to none needs improvement.

For it being my first time EVER staying in a hostel, I couldn't have asked for a better stay. Very nice rooms and amazing staff who were so kind and helpful, especially when my friend and I were trying to figure out the public transportation and needed change. The private ensuite and bathroom made me feel so much more secure and comfortable. Glad I didn't chicken out and stay at a hotel. The hostel made my SF trip much more memorable. Will be back! :)

• 16th Jan 2015

Great Hostel with friendly staff! What I really enjoyed there were clean rooms and beds and a good breakfast! Even if you came just before end of breakfast time there was enough of everything. The staff gave us good information about what to do in the city! Thanks for the stay ;)

great location, bathrooms were pretty clean, staff very helpful, but there was zero atmosphere which sucked (something i think is very important). no one was ever in the communal areas - and the one friend i made on a yosemite tour wasnt even able to come into the hostel because they dont let people without a card into the hostel. decent, but not great.

• 14th Jan 2015

The location is really good. You can taking transit to go nearly every where from here. The room is a little bit small but still acceptable.

• 13th Jan 2015
  • China

I loved the location!!! The dorm bunk beds were great. Hostel was very clean. Everything was wonderful. Oh, the small sink over the toilet tank was very cool!!

• 10th Jan 2015

Good hostel (comfy bed, stocked kitchen, varied activities, cosy shared areas), but staff uncommunicative/unenthusiastic at check-in, then when you later have questions (e.g. checkout procedure) very complacent, sarcastic. NOT nice when English's not your first language.

Very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms and beds were nice and clean. The shower was cold one morning, but that is really no big deal. I am very happy with my stay. I loved the friendly and open atmosphere. Would have liked to have a different kind of breakfast, but I have special needs (trying to avoid carbohydrates and gluten, e.g. fruit and bread), and I understand that you can't please everyone.

When you had the window shut at night the room got stuffy. Then when you had the window open all you would hear is police sirens and people on the streets yelling at each other. Then on my last day there I ran a 15 k and came back to see if I can use the shower real quick and I just missed the check out time and the girl at the front desk said we can only allow gues upstairs. I just stayed there for two nights and some hospitality would have been nice. She denied and didn't look up my stay.

• 10th Jan 2015

This was the first hostel I have ever done and it exceeded all expectations. Great location and loved the free breakfast.

• 9th Jan 2015

The hostel is in a great location. Right next to the shopping district at Union Square and you can catch a trolley right the Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. The staff is great and is very willing to help. It is not a very social atmosphere but there is too much to do in the city to care.

• 5th Jan 2015

It was okay. I expected the location to be better, but downtown isn't really the place to be in San Francisco. It was close to the cable car station, but I think a hostel closer to the piers and fisherman's wharf would be better. For me personally, the hostel was a little bit to big. I prefer smaller hostels because mostly the atmosphere is better. For people arriving by car look for a hostel that provides parking because that is a nightmare in SF.

We stayed in a two bed room. It was great, we had our own sink and hair dryer. Breakfast was basic but very good with bagles and fresh fruit.

This is the first hostel experience and it was great. Location is fantastic, about two blocks away from the Bart/Muni and plenty of other transit options. Also, about two blocks away from Union Sq and a 10 minute walk to Chinatown. Stayed in a 4 girl dorm and had a in-room bathroom. They bad bagels , coffee and fruit for breakfast. Would definitely stay again if visiting San Fran.

• 1st Jan 2015

It's a nice hostel, with a good breakfast and a friendly atmosphere. The location is great, close to Union Square and Powell Station. But I paid $130 per night for a private double room, which is pretty pricey, given the fact that it is not very clean and modern. You can stay in a motel or simple hotel for less money.

A great Hostel to stay in! The rooms are spacious and ours had its own bathroom. Breakfast is good, there is oatmeal, fruits and bagels. Only disadvantages: It's pretty loud from outside (there are earplugs provided for free at the front desk) and you can't store small items (eg ipod) in the lockers. I can totally recommend this hostel and would stay there again.

The beds are amazing with plugs in and light for each person! There are really big lockers and they have green restrooms. The breakfast was really good and the kitchen is huge and clean! I totally recommend there to any person!

• 29th Dec 2014

HI SF Downtown is one of the best hostels I stayed in USA. Strongly recommended!

Excellent! The room is nice and clean, with a huge bathroom! The free breakfast is very good! It's the best hostel I've ever been to. I will definitely choose it if I go to San Francisco again!

• 27th Dec 2014