HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

2054 Total Reviews

The location is really good. You can taking transit to go nearly every where from here. The room is a little bit small but still acceptable.

• 13th Jan 2015
  • China

I loved the location!!! The dorm bunk beds were great. Hostel was very clean. Everything was wonderful. Oh, the small sink over the toilet tank was very cool!!

• 10th Jan 2015

Good hostel (comfy bed, stocked kitchen, varied activities, cosy shared areas), but staff uncommunicative/unenthusiastic at check-in, then when you later have questions (e.g. checkout procedure) very complacent, sarcastic. NOT nice when English's not your first language.

Very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms and beds were nice and clean. The shower was cold one morning, but that is really no big deal. I am very happy with my stay. I loved the friendly and open atmosphere. Would have liked to have a different kind of breakfast, but I have special needs (trying to avoid carbohydrates and gluten, e.g. fruit and bread), and I understand that you can't please everyone.

When you had the window shut at night the room got stuffy. Then when you had the window open all you would hear is police sirens and people on the streets yelling at each other. Then on my last day there I ran a 15 k and came back to see if I can use the shower real quick and I just missed the check out time and the girl at the front desk said we can only allow gues upstairs. I just stayed there for two nights and some hospitality would have been nice. She denied and didn't look up my stay.

• 10th Jan 2015

This was the first hostel I have ever done and it exceeded all expectations. Great location and loved the free breakfast.

• 9th Jan 2015

The hostel is in a great location. Right next to the shopping district at Union Square and you can catch a trolley right the Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. The staff is great and is very willing to help. It is not a very social atmosphere but there is too much to do in the city to care.

• 5th Jan 2015

It was okay. I expected the location to be better, but downtown isn't really the place to be in San Francisco. It was close to the cable car station, but I think a hostel closer to the piers and fisherman's wharf would be better. For me personally, the hostel was a little bit to big. I prefer smaller hostels because mostly the atmosphere is better. For people arriving by car look for a hostel that provides parking because that is a nightmare in SF.

We stayed in a two bed room. It was great, we had our own sink and hair dryer. Breakfast was basic but very good with bagles and fresh fruit.

This is the first hostel experience and it was great. Location is fantastic, about two blocks away from the Bart/Muni and plenty of other transit options. Also, about two blocks away from Union Sq and a 10 minute walk to Chinatown. Stayed in a 4 girl dorm and had a in-room bathroom. They bad bagels , coffee and fruit for breakfast. Would definitely stay again if visiting San Fran.

• 1st Jan 2015

It's a nice hostel, with a good breakfast and a friendly atmosphere. The location is great, close to Union Square and Powell Station. But I paid $130 per night for a private double room, which is pretty pricey, given the fact that it is not very clean and modern. You can stay in a motel or simple hotel for less money.

A great Hostel to stay in! The rooms are spacious and ours had its own bathroom. Breakfast is good, there is oatmeal, fruits and bagels. Only disadvantages: It's pretty loud from outside (there are earplugs provided for free at the front desk) and you can't store small items (eg ipod) in the lockers. I can totally recommend this hostel and would stay there again.

The beds are amazing with plugs in and light for each person! There are really big lockers and they have green restrooms. The breakfast was really good and the kitchen is huge and clean! I totally recommend there to any person!

• 29th Dec 2014

HI SF Downtown is one of the best hostels I stayed in USA. Strongly recommended!

Excellent! The room is nice and clean, with a huge bathroom! The free breakfast is very good! It's the best hostel I've ever been to. I will definitely choose it if I go to San Francisco again!

• 27th Dec 2014
  • China

That was pretty good. The room was clean where I've been ever. If I go to San Francisco again , I would be here absolutely. And I usually walked to get somewhere like around 39pier or fisher's walf and so on. It took me there around 30mints on foot. So I think it's not bed. And It's perfectly closed Downtown. I recommend to take a suttlebus between the airport as well. It's quiet cheaper than others. I spend 26bucks taking that for around trip. Anyway as I said, It would be good deal for you :)

Was disappointed that a tour was canceled without any information.

• 25th Dec 2014

It's my first time to come to US, and I got help in the hostel when I am going to ask. The staff is very nice to show the directions and provide any information that a tourist's needs.

Free bagels and fruit in the morning was nice. The bathrooms are a bit old but clean and the shower is pretty weak. The free wine and cheese night was an excellent idea and great way to meet people!

• 15th Dec 2014

Breakfast included, but it's really only beagles with almost nothing to put on. 1day out of 4 there were not even beagles left and the personal wasn't ab, e to get new. But the worst was that they keptsaying: in 3 minutes. Otherwise there are oats, apples and oranges. Apart from the , it hen staff (very unfriendly) very nice staff. Checkout time is at 11, they providea luggage room. There is an airport shuttle (14 $) however we arrived almost an hour late atthe airport. Location ks great!

• 14th Dec 2014