HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

possibly one of the fanciest hostels i've ever been to. high tech bunk bed frames and spacious rooms.

Almost everything works fine here. It's just bothering they charge $3 per night for not being "member" of Hi Hostels.

The location was great! Walking distance to Union Square, Macy's and Powell Station. Very accessible too. The staff were super nice. They provided me with great information and check in and out was a breeze. The atmosphere was nice too but it could get a tad bit noisy especially at the 2nd floor where lots of people gather around. Otherwise, facilities and cleanliness of the room were great! i would stay here again.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Singapore

Stayed here for a night while in town. Beds have lockable lockers under them (bring a padlock) and the bathrooms and showers were clean. In a big building in an excellent location - great base for SF.

This is more of the more fun HI Hostels I have stayed in. It's a beautiful old building with excellent facilities. The kitchen/dining area was massive, there's washrooms all over and great common rooms. Would definitely stay again.

The room and public spaces are good. Staffs are quite friendly and helpful.

My only issue was, as making the trip to SF, my motorcycle broke down, leading me to miss my reservation for the first night, and I was still charged for it! I attempted to call but no one answered the phones, then battery died. It was that sort of night. The next day, the guest manager was kind enough to help me but I still couldn't get a refund or at least used the previous night's fee for another night. I think that would've been fair or considerate. Still, hostels all the way!

Nice hostel. Comfy bunk beds that don't hurt my feet when climbing ladder - score! My room was a little small for 4 peeps plus luggage but there was a large redundant space in the bathroom so I stored my suitcases there instead.

Hiya! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and liked our "Ouchless" ladders! Sometimes people do not take advantage of them, so I wanted to take this opportunity to point out that we have some pretty big lockers under each bunk which can hold fairly enormous suitcases. Safe Travels! Mike Foyder General Manager

I have been here for the 3rd time and it is still very good. They have gotten new beds and lockers in the meantime which are pretty good for a hostel. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. You will like it...

Great location. Loved the light, plugs and locker by the bed. Great kitchen!

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hostel. Clean facilities and good location with close proximity to the BART station. Staff members are friendly especially Victoria, who is super nice.

• 8th Feb 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us some positive feedback! I know our staff members really appreciate the compliments and validation for their efforts! And yes, I completely agree with you that Victoria is awesome! Cheers! Mike Foyder General Manager

It was my first time staying at a hostel so I was not sure what to expect, but I loved it. Great for the price, great facilities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Met people from a couple different countries. Would definitely come back.

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Colombia

Excellent hostrl, clean, safe and comfortable :)

I usually love this place, but the room we got was unbelievably noisy on the street....fights, drunks, etc. AND it ended up being overpriced. We moved out days 2 - 5 as I was able to get a 4 star Hotel a block away for $30 per night cheaper ?!?? In fairness, it was a last minute rate...but wow what a difference and it was an awesome room to boot!

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Had a bad experience with an obnoxious man who continued to talk loudly and kept we awake all night even after he was approached by the desk clerk, it was a perfect location but i would not stay there again.

Kitchen closing hours were annoying. We bought a lot of food and put it in the fridge but every time we came back to the hostel (leaving before 7 and returning after 9.30-10pm) to access it the kitchen was closed (this even included the 1 hour during lunch - and we only has 30mins to eat before our next activity). However staff were very friendly and helpful. It would be good if staff were more involved with the hostel daily activities, to know about them you need to read about them on the walls

Immediately felt at home here, as in every HI Hostel so far. Best free breakfast I've ever seen in a hostel, friendly staff, all facilities you could wish for, and a location close to everything. You can even go for a run along embarcadero.

• 21st Jan 2015

Thank you for the great compliments! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We are constantly seeking to improve our facilities and refine what we have to offer. When you come back, its going to be even better! Thank you, Michael Foyder General Manager

Security too good! Have to show your card before entering the building, which is a bit too much I guess... What if you forget your card? Breakfast less than average good. Only jam and bread...

• 16th Jan 2015

We want our guests to feel safe with their valuables protected! We do ask all guests to show their security passes when entering the building, but if you misplace the card, we can certainly verify your identity ensure you get a replacement. We wouldn't lock you any guests =). Our continental breakfast consists of Coffee, Milk, Oatmeal, Bagels, jams & cream cheese, bananas, apples, and oranges. We also have kitchen facilities where guests can cook whatever they like for breakfast. -Mike

I've been to four HI hostels and this was the one I was disappointed with. Problems being: Location: the hostel has alley ways all around where the homeless stay overnite usually shouting at each other, when there not around the front trying to get money off you. Staff: check in and out was easy. But between those times it felt more of a chore to help me. There local knowledge was limited. Cleaning staff extremely rude. Atmosphere: limited to none needs improvement.

For it being my first time EVER staying in a hostel, I couldn't have asked for a better stay. Very nice rooms and amazing staff who were so kind and helpful, especially when my friend and I were trying to figure out the public transportation and needed change. The private ensuite and bathroom made me feel so much more secure and comfortable. Glad I didn't chicken out and stay at a hotel. The hostel made my SF trip much more memorable. Will be back! :)

• 16th Jan 2015