HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

2080 Total Reviews

Excellent hostrl, clean, safe and comfortable :)

I usually love this place, but the room we got was unbelievably noisy on the street....fights, drunks, etc. AND it ended up being overpriced. We moved out days 2 - 5 as I was able to get a 4 star Hotel a block away for $30 per night cheaper ?!?? In fairness, it was a last minute rate...but wow what a difference and it was an awesome room to boot!

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Had a bad experience with an obnoxious man who continued to talk loudly and kept we awake all night even after he was approached by the desk clerk, it was a perfect location but i would not stay there again.

Kitchen closing hours were annoying. We bought a lot of food and put it in the fridge but every time we came back to the hostel (leaving before 7 and returning after 9.30-10pm) to access it the kitchen was closed (this even included the 1 hour during lunch - and we only has 30mins to eat before our next activity). However staff were very friendly and helpful. It would be good if staff were more involved with the hostel daily activities, to know about them you need to read about them on the walls

Immediately felt at home here, as in every HI Hostel so far. Best free breakfast I've ever seen in a hostel, friendly staff, all facilities you could wish for, and a location close to everything. You can even go for a run along embarcadero.

• 21st Jan 2015

Thank you for the great compliments! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We are constantly seeking to improve our facilities and refine what we have to offer. When you come back, its going to be even better! Thank you, Michael Foyder General Manager

Security too good! Have to show your card before entering the building, which is a bit too much I guess... What if you forget your card? Breakfast less than average good. Only jam and bread...

• 16th Jan 2015

We want our guests to feel safe with their valuables protected! We do ask all guests to show their security passes when entering the building, but if you misplace the card, we can certainly verify your identity ensure you get a replacement. We wouldn't lock you any guests =). Our continental breakfast consists of Coffee, Milk, Oatmeal, Bagels, jams & cream cheese, bananas, apples, and oranges. We also have kitchen facilities where guests can cook whatever they like for breakfast. -Mike

I've been to four HI hostels and this was the one I was disappointed with. Problems being: Location: the hostel has alley ways all around where the homeless stay overnite usually shouting at each other, when there not around the front trying to get money off you. Staff: check in and out was easy. But between those times it felt more of a chore to help me. There local knowledge was limited. Cleaning staff extremely rude. Atmosphere: limited to none needs improvement.

For it being my first time EVER staying in a hostel, I couldn't have asked for a better stay. Very nice rooms and amazing staff who were so kind and helpful, especially when my friend and I were trying to figure out the public transportation and needed change. The private ensuite and bathroom made me feel so much more secure and comfortable. Glad I didn't chicken out and stay at a hotel. The hostel made my SF trip much more memorable. Will be back! :)

• 16th Jan 2015

Absolutely loved my stay.....everything about the hostel was great. No complaints.

• 14th Jan 2015

Great Hostel with friendly staff! What I really enjoyed there were clean rooms and beds and a good breakfast! Even if you came just before end of breakfast time there was enough of everything. The staff gave us good information about what to do in the city! Thanks for the stay ;)

great location, bathrooms were pretty clean, staff very helpful, but there was zero atmosphere which sucked (something i think is very important). no one was ever in the communal areas - and the one friend i made on a yosemite tour wasnt even able to come into the hostel because they dont let people without a card into the hostel. decent, but not great.

• 14th Jan 2015

This is a clean/ modern hostel that provides a lot of options of things you can do around the city. It´s kitchen is amazing and, in general, the structure of the building is also very ok. I just think there are only a few/ tiny bathrooms for so many guests! All in all I felt very safe there.

The location is really good. You can taking transit to go nearly every where from here. The room is a little bit small but still acceptable.

• 13th Jan 2015
  • China

I loved the location!!! The dorm bunk beds were great. Hostel was very clean. Everything was wonderful. Oh, the small sink over the toilet tank was very cool!!

• 10th Jan 2015

Good hostel (comfy bed, stocked kitchen, varied activities, cosy shared areas), but staff uncommunicative/unenthusiastic at check-in, then when you later have questions (e.g. checkout procedure) very complacent, sarcastic. NOT nice when English's not your first language.

Very helpful and friendly staff. The rooms and beds were nice and clean. The shower was cold one morning, but that is really no big deal. I am very happy with my stay. I loved the friendly and open atmosphere. Would have liked to have a different kind of breakfast, but I have special needs (trying to avoid carbohydrates and gluten, e.g. fruit and bread), and I understand that you can't please everyone.

When you had the window shut at night the room got stuffy. Then when you had the window open all you would hear is police sirens and people on the streets yelling at each other. Then on my last day there I ran a 15 k and came back to see if I can use the shower real quick and I just missed the check out time and the girl at the front desk said we can only allow gues upstairs. I just stayed there for two nights and some hospitality would have been nice. She denied and didn't look up my stay.

• 10th Jan 2015

This was the first hostel I have ever done and it exceeded all expectations. Great location and loved the free breakfast.

• 9th Jan 2015

The hostel is in a great location. Right next to the shopping district at Union Square and you can catch a trolley right the Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf. The staff is great and is very willing to help. It is not a very social atmosphere but there is too much to do in the city to care.

• 5th Jan 2015

It was okay. I expected the location to be better, but downtown isn't really the place to be in San Francisco. It was close to the cable car station, but I think a hostel closer to the piers and fisherman's wharf would be better. For me personally, the hostel was a little bit to big. I prefer smaller hostels because mostly the atmosphere is better. For people arriving by car look for a hostel that provides parking because that is a nightmare in SF.

View all San Francisco Hostels