HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

It was awesome, best hostel I have ever stayed at. Thanks

• 21st Jun 2014

I believe you could set up bigger lockers... in the lockers available, I could barely fit my backpack. that woudl increase the sensation of a secure place.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Colombia

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We're currently in the process of installing new bunk beds with full sized lockers that can accommodate checked luggage underneath the bed, which also saves on available space in the room! We hope you'll stay with us again in the future so you can enjoy the new bunks/storage as much as we do!

It is a great hostel - very clean! We had a private room with bathroom. As it was June it has to be considered that it is a bit cold in San Francisco - in the room it was consequently not that warm. However the whole accomodation is great! Best breakfast bagels I have had in the US! Great breakfast. We would stay there again. Also positive is that just besides the hostel there are the car rental stations of all major car companies.

• 19th Jun 2014

Great hostel to stay at, had a fantastic time and would definitely. Room was great and hostel activities are a must - met some great people on the bar crawl. Also there's a diner called Pinecrest across the road from the hostel; good god that place is good.

Pros- great central safe location; good breakfast. Some rooms have been kitted out with new personal plug sockets and lamp. Cons- incredibly impersonal, unhelpful reception staff, rude at times, they need better training in hospitality. Very, very noisy at the front of the hostel (on a main road so expect sirens and shouting all night) so ask for a room at the back. Some rooms have 2 plug sockets per room which are placed in awkward areas- like under the bottom bunk. Charge to use computers

Just think they lack on bathrooms. Everything else is ok.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us! An insider tip In the case you're interested in staying with us again: About half of our dorm rooms have en-suite bathrooms, and for the dorms that don't, we have three public restrooms on most of our floors. All of our floors -- with the exception of the third floor -- have a larger bathroom with restroom and shower together, which complies with ADA guidelines. PASS IT ON. :)

The bunk beds were a let down, there were no sockets within reach to charge my phone over night and to keep it near me to hear my alarm without causing a massive commotion in the room. However I have been informed by management that the bed are being updated very soon to all have sockets and lights built in to them which would definitely make this hostel so much better and highly recommended.

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are currently in the process of replacing our dorm beds! The new bunk beds have privacy screens, two power outlets, a shelf (for your smaller items: phone, book, etc), a powerful light, and two USB charging stations! Everything you'll need from the comfort of your bed. We hope you'll share the experience with us the next time you're in San Francisco!

The hostel was in a great location, it was clean, comfortable and although the rooms were pretty basic it had everything you'd need. One thing to note is that we were charged tax on top of the amount our Hostelworld booking said was due on arrival- this made the total cost a lot pricier than expected.

The hostel had a very safe and comfortable feel. The bagels and brewed coffee for breakfast were delicious. Location was convenient to the BART and the trolley cars and buses. I loved staying at this friendly and well run hostel.

• 8th Jun 2014

We're happy you enjoyed the atmosphere of our hostel. We love to cultivate a homey feel for our guests whenever possible. When you stay at HI-San Francisco Downtown you're a member of our family. We hope you'll come back for a reunion real soon. Love, Your Extended Family

First trip in a hostel and this was a great place to start. Now hopefully i didnt put the bar too high up for the next ones i will do. Loved my stay, one negative thing would be acces to the kitchen even at night. Tank you for a wonderful stay!

• 6th Jun 2014

The hostel was very clean with lots of great facilities and services. I really enjoyed my stay.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • South Africa

A really great staff that did everything possible to make us feel welcome. A +++ plus was the excellent coffee! They also helped us with getting tours and airport shuttle. I would not hesitate to stay there again. By the way my wife and I are 62 and 68, we had never stayed in a hostel before and didn't feel out of place at all.

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

We're so pleased to hear we were able to offer you a place of comfort and relaxation for your first hostel experience! In all honesty, the fresh organic coffee is a great help in keeping us alert and energized to aide our guests. We hope your time with us will keep you interested in hosteling for future travels! Love, The Front Desk.

Nice, low key, very clean. Good staff.

Great experience! Will definitely recommend.

great friendly staff, a tiny bit noise but that's because it's in the middle of town.

very reasonable to price, clean, quiet, safe, perfect location

• 28th May 2014
  • Thailand

Wont need to stay in hotels again if all hostels are this good!! Well done HISF Downtown!

• 21st May 2014

Its a fine location, even if you have to take the crazy man on the corner singing "All I Know About History" from 1 am to 3 am with it.

Hi San Francisco has been described as 'every backpackers wet dream' by renowned magazines like 'the stinking traveller' or 'backpackers weekly'. This Hostel is like a 5 Star hotel for Travellers who have slept in xx buckets around the world. A top notch kitchen like this is so rare, I've never seen something like it before. The Staff is always friendly and funny and there's a vibe going on that only high class jointz like this are able to convey. 9.4 out of 10 stars for this!

Cereal at breakfast would a great addition to what is a really great hostel. The security was excellent, and was constantly monitored as people came and went. Will definitely stay there again, good idea to book as early as possible as the hostel can be booked out very quickly and many days in advance. Another great Hi Hostel.

• 13th May 2014