HI - San Francisco - Downtown Hostel Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

2017 Total Reviews

Enjoyed our two days staying in this hostel, warm atmosphere, even breakfast was included!

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Russia

Amazing staff and loved the hostel activities!

• 28th Aug 2014

Nice hostel with beautiful style and nice worker staff.

This was one of 3 hostels I stayed in during my time in SF and this hostel was by far the worst. My 4-bed dorm was extremely cramped and dirty, there were also not enough lockers for the number of beds. The staff were not welcoming and it created an uninviting atmosphere. Also the laundry facility was broken. Usually I find it easy to meet other travelers in hostels but here I had a tough time. If you are looking for a central place to stay whilst in SF I recommend HI City Center or USA Hostels.

super professional staff. very clean and organized facility. Loved my experience here. THis is what hostelling should be like everywhere! good job HI SF!

Incredible hostel, so clean, so modern, the double room was basically a 3* hotel room. The only negative I had is some of the staff seemed a little stoned... But it was easy to find, and they get you discount on parking nearby, which is handy in what is one of the most expensive cities to have a car in. Would definitely stay again.

Wifi and washing machines did not work

A well run hostel. Very impressed. The only thing a 6.1 earthquake should have necessitated a check of people in rooms. Great breakfast and central to all

• 20th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

One of the better hostels I have stayed in. Very tidy, great breakfast provided, secure and plenty of facilities. It can be fairly noisy as to be expected due to the location of the hostel centre downtown but well worth it for the location, so handy to everywhere. They even supply free ear plugs which made the noise no bother at all!!! Highly recommended.

Great great great! Professional, friendly, dedicated staff. clean facility. Organized hostel. Great breakfast. Amazing value. Highly recommended!

Great place to stay, great location.

Great hostel, clean, fun staff, great activities. Would definitely stay here again. However, there are a lot of homeless people in the neighborhood.

Great hostel overall - good location, very helpful and friendly staff, good common room and breakfast / kitchen areas. En suite bathrooms aren't so nice because the sink is in the room, so unless you're the earliest riser, be prepared to listen to that sink running all morning. Our door also didn't close properly, if people didn't pull it shut, so the room was never secure. But we had lockers anyway, so who cares. I'd stay here again. Unlimited bagels for breakfast. Mmm.

When booking ask for a room away from the common lounge. NO HOT WATER. Great atmosphere though and lots to do both with hostel and in surrounding areas!

• 18th Aug 2014

Loved the hostel and so did my boyfriend and also my friend. Works both for couples who want to be alone as for groups and unaccompanied travelers. It was close to the cable cars, the shops and the big Westfield/bloomingdales shopping mall. It's also close to the BART -Bay Area Rapid Transport, which can take you to the airport or maybe Oakland and other places near SF.

Surprisingly central hostel if you know your muni routes (get to love the #49/#47/#30 buses as they will bring you to the wharf area and to down town in minutes). Staff competent and nice enough but not engaged in the client's stay (ie. more like workers in a factory "next"). Of the three hostels that I stayed at, this hostel had the best staff recommendations/suggestions (communication board), great layout for common areas, very clean.

Great hostel. We had a private room that was clean and comfortable. The staff were very nice and tried to help when ever they could. The hostel has daily activities and we joined a beer taistimg activity which was very nice.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Israel

Check In was 3pm...no problem. however arrived at 2.55pm and got told to wait until 3pm to checkin whereby we then sat and waited for the staff to do nothing for 5 minutes and then call us up to checkin WHICH took more than 5 minutes anyway?! was just a really ridiculous situation? Stayed for 5 nights....NO HOT WATER THE ENTIRE STAY. Even tried showering at different times of the day..no luck. One working washing machine for the whole place? Common guys really? Joke of a hostel

• 13th Aug 2014

I was there for 6 days and it was by far the best hostel I stayed in during my road trip along the west coast. The staff were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about everything. There were daily events organised by the hostel which made it easier to socialise with other hostel guests, I'll defo recommend this hostel to anyone and I'll probably be looking to stay there again if I'm ever back there.

• 13th Aug 2014

I loved the hostel, thanks for the nice atmosphere and the very lovely room.

View all San Francisco Hostels