HI-San Francisco Downtown (Union Square) Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, California, USA

I liked my stay very much and would definitely come back! The staff was very helpful, it is wonderfully clean, the breakfast is good. Not too many showers and bathrooms for so many people, but I could manage it well. Very near to public transport.

• 8th Apr 2014

Thanks for the outstanding review! We really hope you will stay with us again the next time you're in San Francisco!

Really happy with this hostel. The private rooms are small but still really good, close to everything and comfortable. Would stay there again.

• 31st Mar 2014

Good hostel, very clean,, though when I first entered the upstaris dorn, it smelf a bit musty. The various staff did an efficient job keeping the place clean , booking in guests and handling queries. Good central location though a bit noisy at night (from noises out in the alley)

• 31st Mar 2014

Thanks for staying with us in during your visit to San Francisco! Our staff takes great pride in keeping our building clean and assisting guests with any queries they may have. We look forward to hosting you again real soon Safe travels!

Super place to stay. Thanks to entire staff. Look forward to staying again!

• 14th Mar 2014

Thank you kindly for the lovely review! Please take to heart that our team was extremely happy to receive your positive shout out. We look forward to having you again in the not-so-distant future! With whiskey and wanderlust, the entire HI-SF Downtown Staff.

Very expensive.It cost more than a hotel in Oakland.But the activities organised were well done.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the United States, and as a nonprofit organization, HIUSA does everything we can to maintain rates that make it possible to sustain a location in downtown San Francisco. A hotel in Oakland is likely going to be less expensive, as it has lower costs in most every sector compared to San Francisco. We're so happy you enjoyed our events! We hope you'll stay with us again in the future.

The location is really good!!!

• 7th Mar 2014
  • Hong Kong

Clean modern hostel with all the amenities you need. The size kind of makes it lack atmosphere but there are lots of communal areas.Most of the staff were really helpful. One complaint is that the kitchen shuts at night which is a massive pain because they don't even let you put things in the fringe so we ended up having to throw food away which isn't ideal when you're on a budget.

The location was absolutely fantastic, it was a great base to explore San Fran. There was plenty of showers, toilets etc and the kitchen and free breaky was good.

WOW, what a great review! Thanks for taking the time to let others know about your stay at Hostelling International, San Francisco Downtown. We're super happy we were able to provide you with both a comfortable place to lay your head and a sustainable breakfast to get your day started on the right foot. Be sure to visit us again the next time you're in town. If even to only say hello!

clean and friendly place, great location

• 28th Feb 2014

Appreciated yummy bkfst,shower close to dorm,quiet dorm,helpful staff,lift and downtown location with good eateries nearby,thanks.

Everything was good except for no hot water for two days in a row at the most crucial time.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Malaysia

I had a very enjoyable stay. The bed was comfortable, there was free breakfast, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I really recommend this hostel.

• 14th Feb 2014

We hope your Valentine's Day in San Francisco was a pleasant one. Your kind words were the best V-Day (comment) card we could have asked for. From San Francisco with peace and love. travel safely!

Really enjoyed my stay here - top notch location. Only thing is it can be noisy if the windows are left slightly open to let some air in - so make sure you bring your earplugs and eye mask!

We're glad you had a great stay with us in San Francisco! Being downtown and centrally located is a catch-22 with the noise outside. We do provide FREE earplugs in the lobby for all of our guests. We're actually in the process of installing new high-tech sound reducing windows to help combat the hustle and bustle of the streets! Here's to 2014 and many more nights of restful slumber!

Great hostel. I would stay there every time again.

Well, we hope you come to San Francisco often, because we're happy to have you as part of our (temporarily visiting) family!

Damn good location and hostel! This place was great.

We absolutely love your review! Short, simple, and to the point! We're glad you like it as much as we do. Come stay with us again the next time you're in our fine city! With love from San Francisco - The entire HISF Downtown Staff

Had a great time while staying there. Thought the staff were extremely friendly and for the most part answered all our question/concerns. Great breakfast and a great location.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! W

My partner and I stayed two nights in a private room with private bathroom and the room was great. It was a good size and the bed was comfortable. It was a good location and close to transport.

Thanks for the positive comments! We're very pleased to hear we could provide you with a comfortable stay during your travels to San Francisco. We look forward to hosting you again in the future! Until then, travel safely!

They ask 28$ for the HI association, and If you don't get it they charge 3$ per each day of stay. The worst thing is that they don't make this info easy to find. They write it in their web site, but not where you expect it, like price list. It means that you have to look for it. It is a hidden info that you get when you are at the front desk. I also think that hostelworld.com should have given that info. The hostel was good but I don't like this behave, and this is why I would't raccomend it.Bye

• 6th Feb 2014

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We're sorry for any miscommunication you may have felt regarding the membership. Hostelling International is a membership organization worldwide and requires either the daily membership ($3) or a yearly membership ($28 for adults, $18 for seniors). This information can be found on all of our websites, in addition to the Hostel World website. It is listed under the "Property Information" tab. Safe travels!

It was AWESOME!! Staff were extremely helpful and competent, activities run by the hostel were fun and interesting :) Would definitely recommend this place to a friend!!

• 29th Jan 2014

We're glad we could be the catalyst for San Francisco adventures! It was fantastic having you as a guest, and I can surely say you left San Francisco with a positively hilarious impression. Be sure to visit us again and bring your friends. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

Amazing place, couldn't recommend it more. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay there for my whole stay. I booked late and so had to go somewhere else for the last two nights, which were a weekend. I was sad to go. Will definitely go back next time I'm in San Francisco

• 26th Jan 2014