HI San Francisco - Downtown Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

Great breakfast and location! Staff super helpful and friendly. Would be good to have more weekend night activities to improve the atmosphere but otherwise awesome place!

• 12th Dec 2015

Would have to be the best hostel I've stayed in so far - great facilities, clean and beautifully furnished! Would definitely recommend this hostel!

Just beds could do with being tightened up to stop the bunks squeaking and rocking when someone stirs in their sleep above you. Otherwise I had an awesome stay!

• 7th Dec 2015

Very nice job creating a pleasant and fun atmosphere. Very clean and comfortable.

• 3rd Dec 2015

Excellent location.. No air conditioning so if windows are open slightly, wil b able to hear street noise n people talking.. Light sleepers would have some problems getting a good night sleep..

• 2nd Dec 2015
  • Singapore

More like a hotel than a hostel in terms of rooms. Private twin room was well above standard I was expecting. In a great spot, close to BART and trams/buses running along Market Street. Quiet, clean, comfortable and spacious. All you can ask for after a long day seeing everything San Fran has to offer. Highly recommended.

Great hostel. Perfect location. Friendly, helpful staff.

Sometimes it was uncomfortable to use a restroom, but overall it is a good hostel.

Good location hostel organizes lots to do tours, taco nights, pub crawl

I loved my stay at HI San Francisco Downtown. It was a wee bit pricey but given how highly I rated it, it was a fantastic place to stay. A special mention to the cleaning staff who do an excellent job.

Everything was good. The only two issue that i foubd difficult was the coldness of the rooms, restrooms, kitchen, basically everywhere in the hostel. And secondly, the lockers were under the beds and that was the only place we could put our stuff. We had a supperior room (4 peaple), but the room didnt have enough space for everyone's luggages so i ended up putting my luggage with all the stuff in the locker and i had so much issue opening the crazy locker to use my stuff.

The hostel was clean, plenty of shower and bathrooms on each floor, all the people from the staff have been very helfpul. The free breakfast was the best. It's not the cheapest place to stay but it's a good value for money.

Good hostel, amazing location, and the price is better than just about anything else in San Francisco.

• 20th Nov 2015

Clean bathroom and tub. Bagels apples and oj for breakfast

I really enjoyed my stay in SF mostly because of this hostel. Yummy breakfast and very nice atmosphere in the hostel. Thank you So much. I would highly recommend this place!!!!

• 19th Nov 2015
  • Kazakhstan

It's a well run ship, staff were great and everything was clean. Breakfast is the best I've ever had in a hostel. I made some great new friends there so I am very happy with my stay. The hostel is a bit close to the Tenderloin which has a few colourful characters but even so it was a great experience.

If you are looking for a hostel to just sleep at, this is a great hostel. It has clean facilities, great usability in terms of plugs and lights, and also large lockers. The free breakfast was good. They also seemed to have social events every other night or so. If I was staying there more than just one night and a morning, I would have happily participated.

Very nice hostel and surely one of the top ones to stay in SF. However, the mattress was some kind of air mattress and hence unfortunately not very comfortable. Furthermore, since I stayed in a room facing Mason St. it was very noisy at night.

• 18th Nov 2015
  • Austria

I had a really good stay, it was in a good location and everyone was very helpful!

• 17th Nov 2015
  • lauracairns93

The staff were very attentive despite crowds and made excellent suggestions about surrounding things to do. They should stop the musak playing starting at 7am.

View all San Francisco Hostels