HI - San Francisco - Downtown Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

The twin room is clean and spacious.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Portugal

I think the final price of $50dlls plus for the small room is a bit expensive

• 29th Jun 2014

Great location, good facilities, however the staff were not that helpful in guiding you on what to do in their city and when asked they couldn't care less. Free breakfast if you like bagels everyday. So all in all good value for your money.

We were a party of 5 people and were all very pleased with our descision to stay at this Hostel for our fist visit of San Francisco!

• 27th Jun 2014

Great hostel. Clean, friendly staff, good place to meet people, lots of activities, free breakfast, cheap dinners. Would definitely stay here again!

Excellent location for central san francisco but Rooms were small and only two bathrooms on our floor. Breakfast was an insult also

• 22nd Jun 2014

We're stoked you liked our location. Each of our floors is equipped with three public restrooms accessible by guests and half of the rooms have restrooms en-suite. Although we can't guarantee a guest is assigned a room with a restroom, if we have the availability during your stay and a request for an en-suite dorm is made, we will do our best to accommodate you. We hope you'll enjoy the complimentary breakfast of authentic SF bagels, fresh organic fruit, porridge, jam, and coffee/tea next time.

everything was great! I really enjoyed the time that I accomadated there. there's one thing that you might consider is a shuttle bus service. I was glad that you have the shuttle bus service to take us the airport. However, the bus driver was horrible. he kept saying cursing, and made passengers uncomfortable. It is scary for travellers to meet those kind of people during the trip. plz, consider about it. it might be good for you, too. Thank you.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • South Korea

Thank you for informing us of your experience with the airport shuttle. We've used Lorrie's Airport Shuttle for several years due to their high level of integrity to our guests and timely arrivals. I can assure you, the situation you described is not an accurate representation of their service and on behalf of the hostel, we apologize for any negativity you encountered during your trip to the airport. We've reached out to Lorrie's to alert them of the mishap. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

It was awesome, best hostel I have ever stayed at. Thanks

• 21st Jun 2014

I believe you could set up bigger lockers... in the lockers available, I could barely fit my backpack. that woudl increase the sensation of a secure place.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Colombia

Thank you for the helpful feedback. We're currently in the process of installing new bunk beds with full sized lockers that can accommodate checked luggage underneath the bed, which also saves on available space in the room! We hope you'll stay with us again in the future so you can enjoy the new bunks/storage as much as we do!

It is a great hostel - very clean! We had a private room with bathroom. As it was June it has to be considered that it is a bit cold in San Francisco - in the room it was consequently not that warm. However the whole accomodation is great! Best breakfast bagels I have had in the US! Great breakfast. We would stay there again. Also positive is that just besides the hostel there are the car rental stations of all major car companies.

• 19th Jun 2014

Great hostel to stay at, had a fantastic time and would definitely. Room was great and hostel activities are a must - met some great people on the bar crawl. Also there's a diner called Pinecrest across the road from the hostel; good god that place is good.

Pros- great central safe location; good breakfast. Some rooms have been kitted out with new personal plug sockets and lamp. Cons- incredibly impersonal, unhelpful reception staff, rude at times, they need better training in hospitality. Very, very noisy at the front of the hostel (on a main road so expect sirens and shouting all night) so ask for a room at the back. Some rooms have 2 plug sockets per room which are placed in awkward areas- like under the bottom bunk. Charge to use computers

Just think they lack on bathrooms. Everything else is ok.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us! An insider tip In the case you're interested in staying with us again: About half of our dorm rooms have en-suite bathrooms, and for the dorms that don't, we have three public restrooms on most of our floors. All of our floors -- with the exception of the third floor -- have a larger bathroom with restroom and shower together, which complies with ADA guidelines. PASS IT ON. :)

The bunk beds were a let down, there were no sockets within reach to charge my phone over night and to keep it near me to hear my alarm without causing a massive commotion in the room. However I have been informed by management that the bed are being updated very soon to all have sockets and lights built in to them which would definitely make this hostel so much better and highly recommended.

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are currently in the process of replacing our dorm beds! The new bunk beds have privacy screens, two power outlets, a shelf (for your smaller items: phone, book, etc), a powerful light, and two USB charging stations! Everything you'll need from the comfort of your bed. We hope you'll share the experience with us the next time you're in San Francisco!

The hostel was in a great location, it was clean, comfortable and although the rooms were pretty basic it had everything you'd need. One thing to note is that we were charged tax on top of the amount our Hostelworld booking said was due on arrival- this made the total cost a lot pricier than expected.

The hostel had a very safe and comfortable feel. The bagels and brewed coffee for breakfast were delicious. Location was convenient to the BART and the trolley cars and buses. I loved staying at this friendly and well run hostel.

• 8th Jun 2014

We're happy you enjoyed the atmosphere of our hostel. We love to cultivate a homey feel for our guests whenever possible. When you stay at HI-San Francisco Downtown you're a member of our family. We hope you'll come back for a reunion real soon. Love, Your Extended Family

First trip in a hostel and this was a great place to start. Now hopefully i didnt put the bar too high up for the next ones i will do. Loved my stay, one negative thing would be acces to the kitchen even at night. Tank you for a wonderful stay!

• 6th Jun 2014

The hostel was very clean with lots of great facilities and services. I really enjoyed my stay.

• 2nd Jun 2014
  • South Africa

A really great staff that did everything possible to make us feel welcome. A +++ plus was the excellent coffee! They also helped us with getting tours and airport shuttle. I would not hesitate to stay there again. By the way my wife and I are 62 and 68, we had never stayed in a hostel before and didn't feel out of place at all.

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

We're so pleased to hear we were able to offer you a place of comfort and relaxation for your first hostel experience! In all honesty, the fresh organic coffee is a great help in keeping us alert and energized to aide our guests. We hope your time with us will keep you interested in hosteling for future travels! Love, The Front Desk.

Nice, low key, very clean. Good staff.

View all San Francisco Hostels