HI San Francisco - Downtown Reviews

312 Mason Street, San Francisco, USA

Very friendly and helpful staff. Location is superb, 2 mins from union square. Decent breakfast with healthy options. Room cleaned and towels changed every other day. Would definitely stay again.

The rooms were very big and spacious and the bed was a descent size. Although there was o air con, the windows were huge so it was easy to cool the room down at night if it was hot

Is a good hostel but they are very expensive. In the end with all the taxes and 3$ per night when you are not a member it cost me 50$ per night!!! To expensive for a hostel!!

The location is great, close to bus stops and tram lines. Breakfast was good to, especially as it was included in the price. Only room for improvement is that the rooms don't have any AC or even a fan - didn't sleep well at all for my entire stay.

Thank you for the feedback. We were having some ridiculously hot days/nights last week which is not the norm for SF at all. The weather here is almost always quite mild and AC is fairly uncommon in the city. We do have fans available to borrow at our front desk, and indeed have them in many of our rooms. Hot nights in SF are very rare.

I couldn't fault HI Downtown in any way. I was attending a conference at the nearby Hilton, and in all honesty the breakfast and bathrooms in HI Downtown were superior to the Hilton. Yes, you pay for the location, but you get your money's worth.

This hostel was a great find, awesome FREE walking tours and free coffee all day! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only downside is a lack of bar/drinking/community area but the tours and breakfast allowed us to meet other travelers. I would definitely come back to stay here again.

• 4th Sep 2015

My boyfriend and me stayed at the hostel for four nights in September. It was an absolutely enjoyable stay. The kitchen and the bathrooms are cleaned every day. The staff ist very helpful and you can even sign up for special tours around downtown or Baseball games etc. We can absolutely recommend that place!!!

• 2nd Sep 2015

Great and well-organized hostel. Strongly recommend it.

Really friendly staff, great location, great facilities.

• 2nd Sep 2015

It was great staying there, but it was quite noisy. I could hear any single sound of next door and since it is located in the center of downtown it was quite noisy out there especially at night. But I was so tired every night so it didn't matter. If you are a light sleeper, you definitely need to prepare ear plug. If you do, it will be a pleasant stay.

• 31st Aug 2015
  • South Korea

Great location, very central so easy to reach all parts of town. Nearly everyone in the hostel at time of visit was in town for a conference so because of this, it lacked socially. Everyone was perfectly nice just not many other travellers to hang out with. Breakfast was free and very good - definitely helped to fill up on this, if you're on a budget.

Had a great stay - the free coffee was a great perk (!) when we arrived, nice touch Kate

• 30th Aug 2015

Excellent location that provides quick access to most of the sites of interest in SF

Excellent location and atmosphere but noise room and very very small bathrooms.

It was our first time hosteling, and we were very very content. Checking in and checking out was smooth, the hostel was very cool and clean. To be honest it was the first place during out summer-long USA trip where I felt that they care about the environment. I loved the tiny details that showed me how the hostel wants the guests to feel great, such as the decorations, posters, book exchange shelf, clean water machine.

• Hungary

Great place to stay! Comfortable rooms, good breakfast, very kind staff, great atmosphere! The only thing you have to know is not to walk too southwards, because in that direction not that far there is a bad area. Once you know this, you are perfect and you can stay outside how much you want without any problem. One last thing: I don't know how much other hostels cost in SF, but I think that 50$ for1 night it's not that cheap. Anyway, it is a great place and it's worth to stay here.

• 29th Aug 2015

Staff were really great - very friendly and genuinely happy to help with anything!

• 29th Aug 2015

Great location close to shops, restaurants and public transport. Stayed in a 4-person female ensuite, was decent size with room for luggage and locker. Also did a pub crawl which was great fun, highly recommended.

I think it's completely necessary to put air conditioning. On summer is terribly hot and you have to keep your windows opened and as a result of that all the noise from the street comes in and its really noisy, makes it impossible to sleep. We were going to stay for 4 days I cut it to two days!

Had a good time here. Wine and cheese night with a volunteer girl was really. Good social activities and a nice big kitchen!

View all San Francisco Hostels