HI - San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Hostel Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Front desk staff are very helpful and nice. "Cafe Franco" staff are quite aloof and generally not interested in serving you breakfast. There is limited parking, which is very annoying. The electronic door keys often need to be reset, which is annoying. Not a very communal feeling.

• 22nd Sep 2014

I felt welcomed as soon as I entered the hostel and I really appreciated their help when I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the sightseeing I wanted to do in the short time I was able to be in SF. Thanks!

The location is excellent. Staff was excellent, except for this one lady. Good breakfast and organic coffee.

One of the best hostels I ever stayed in. Great location, great facilities, great staff, great security, great fun! Highly recommended place for staying in SF.

Loved my experience, wished I could have booked more nights over there!

• 31st Aug 2014

The problem with the staff was entirely with the people running breakfast. We got a flat tire and missed the time cut off. We stood at the food counter holding our tickets and looking at the fruit bowl. We asked for one piece of fruit each, which is what the ticket entitled us to. The staff said no. They claimed they could not make an exception for anyone. I didn't feel like a paying guest, I felt like a student asking the teacher to let me turn in a paper late.

• 29th Aug 2014

Good place with good view. Close to public transit. However, the days I went is Labor Day weekend, and snce there is no restriction of age, they were too many kids,which made hassle. Except that, overall was great.

• 29th Aug 2014

The hostel is in a great location for doing things on the north side of SF without having to get public transport. I stayed here for 2 nights to get away from the downtown area and was glad I did so. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere was great, with the communal area full of people talking to each other. If you are looking to stay in somewhere outside the city center for some of your time in SF I would thoroughly recommend this hostel.

The best place you can stay in SF: pefectly located, comfortable by all means, safe and giving best oportunities for meeting people from all over the world! arranging all kind of activities! having best evenings atmosphere!

We have stayed here several times over the years....we love the location, parking is free! The breakfast that you provide or have available it fabulous. We have stayed at a different SF location hostel, but this is our favorite. Most of the staff that works the desk and in the "breakfast" kitchen are really great. Please thank Jonathan for me, he helped me out so much, was so patient and sweet! We will be back!

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • Japan

Centrally located, engaged helpful staff, good dorms with comfortable clean beds. While catering to mostly under 30 crowd, this hostel was also used by families and an elderly man with a walker! This was the favorite of the three hostels that I stayed in during my lengthy stay in SF. If I was to return to SF I would definitely choose this hostel to stay. Not a party hostel, but it is a fun hostel.

Thanks very much for all the help in finding cheap places to replace dodgy sneakers and all the friendly advice on where I wanted to walk to and also helping me find out where to get over to visit a friend in Mission. Also for booking the shuttle. I didn't get to check out all of your facilities but would definitely stay again and recommend to friends. Many Thanks, Julie from Australia :)

This hostel is one of my favourites, amazing location between the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, really cool, relaxed staff who are happy to help, comfy beds, very clean and felt very homely! Also, LOVED the duke box in the kitchen!

The room was small, there was a radiator, that was dangerously hot, you could have burnt yourself, and it heated up the room, so you couldn't sleep, it was also very loud. the facilities were average but i expected more, for the price we paid. it was very expensive.

I had to switch rooms 3 times (not fault of hostel, they were really full the days I was there) but it gave me a good overview of the building. The location is awesome, but the building is old and really needs some fixing. The last room I stayed the heater was right above my head while I was in bed: besides the incredible heat (in the summer) it's really easy to get burnt. Overall, staff is really nice.

Room key for room 8 was rubbish, they should update to codes. Computers weren't free, NO PLUGS in ROOMS!! Staff were 50/50, beds were pre-allocated and they were very inflexible about changing beds, difficult check in for one of our friends, made her change rooms then re-allocated her the exact same room after she hung around all day waiting to re-check in. Bathrooms and hostel in general very outdated. Showers in communal area very far from rooms.

Ideal stay. Ideal location for those backpacking through. Came for Outside lands and stayed to take in the city. Perfect for a weekend or extended stay. The breakfast room is impeccable, quite joyous to wake to and have an egg and some tea in a room filled with light.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Colombia

They should arrange the bathrooms : too old, not comfortable, no privacy with the showers

The location was great. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. However, the place is in dire need of repair. I paid to stay in an all female bedroom dorm, but ended up in a five bed room with little space. The pipes in the room were leaking in two separate places, which probably in part lead to the mouldy smell in the room. The radiator in the room also made a horrendous noise whenever someone was having a shower. With some repairs and maintenance, this could be a great place.

Some staff were really friendly and engaging, while others were a bit rude and turned the lights off in common spaces or closed the kitchen earlier than the posted time. A bit like the fun police. The singer, Charlotte, on Friday night was cool. A good breakfast in the cafe. This hostel has a lot going for it but just needs to work on the atmosphere.

« first « Prev 1 2 3