HI - San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Hostel Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Liked this place a lot! Security was a bit iffy -- I stayed on a ground-floor room, & there wasn't a/c (which fine, I just happened to be in SF on a rare hot day) so windows needed to be opened for air, but no screens. The room was right by the main doors, and people walking by inches from the open window all the time was mildly unsettling. But I never felt unsafe & there are lockers. Views of alcatraz & bridge are freaking unreal!

Great location- Our male dorm room was super stuffy, old hot bunk beds with little support , and we decided to leave early.

• 19th Jul 2015

The staff was awesome. So helpful and welcoming!

• 8th Jul 2015

very nice location and overall good hostel experience.

at first glance you get the feeling of being at a military base, but once inside is a very nice place. great view of alcatraz outside near the park with a view of the bridge as well. not a very sociable bunch when i was there but for the location it was nice.

Fantastic hostel and the staff were great. We stayed 4 nights until the 27th June '15 and had a great time. We've stayed in hostels all over Europe and had just come to the end of a month in various hostels along the west coast and can easily say this has been the best one! Hands down. Many activities you could sign up for, breakfast was great, laundry facilities were superb and the location is perfect! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

nice atmosphere at the hostel, and I really enjoyed San Francisco. but the bathrooms are quite gross and need some sort of updating.

This is a nice hostel on a great location. I stayed here for five nights and had a good time. The only thing is that the sheets may gave me a rash (I think it were the sheets, because it disappeared the day after I left).

• 5th Jun 2015

Awesome location (you can see the Golden Gate Bridge while having breakfast!), staff was very nice and Hostel offers a lot of stuff (movies, activities, nice lounge).

Nice vibe,, great breakfast and restaurant area

Brilliant place. Situated in an absolutely great location. Price may be a bit more expensive than other hostels but it's worth it. I recommend taking some earplugs if you're staying in the 20bed dorms, though.

efficient and friendly staff. one woman (young black, very cheery, personable) on 5/18 aftarnoon shift took time out to point me in the directiion of a great casual seafood place on chestnut street, a trip highlight. cafe staff was helpful, as was the guy who patiently waited for us as we kept needing to get in and out of the luggage room. all in all, an incredibly rewarding experience for a bunch of old guys... i would just hope you replace the beds with a bit firmer ones... we will return!

• 17th May 2015
  • All Male Group, 41+

Wonderful staff and location

• 15th May 2015

This is by far one of the best hostels I've stayed at. The location is amazing (view of the Golden Gate Bridge!) and is close to all sorts of fun stuff. The hostel puts on all sorts of fun events (we did a fantastic pub crawl our first night there) and you get discounts with various tour operators/bike rentals for staying there. Considering San Francisco is such an expensive city, having an affordable place to stay (with breakfast included) is fantastic. Would definitely stay here again!

The location of this place was wonderful!! The free breakfest was great as well. The only down sides were that i was staying in a 22 people dorm so, as you can expect, people were making a lot of noise. There were also not many plugs in the room, only beside some beda so i charged my phone before heading to bed in the living area. It was nice there was a locker under the bed so i never felt my stuff was unsafe. Overall good stay and recommended !

I'm sure not all staff were like this, but the one I encountered was extremely rude to our group for no apparent reason. The location was good for tourists and the atmosphere was nice.

• 24th Apr 2015

Always an awesome place over looking the golden gate bridge and Alcatraz. They could offer a little more food at the breakfast, otherwise a great and comfortable place to stay.

Wonderful helpful staff on the front desk excellent food served at the cafeteria in the evening

Great hostel. The location was perfect, staff very helpful and many fun activities were planned. I would highly recommend this hostel and would not hesitate to come back. Thank you for a great stay!

Very quiet and enjoyable hostel. 10 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf (very convenient location!). However, the hostel was difficult to find the first day as it is up a giant hill in Fort Mason (attached to San Fran). More directions on walking to the hostel and the explanation of the large hill to make things easier would have been great. Also loved the complimentary breakfast and all the organic food!

• 11th Apr 2015