HI - San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Hostel Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Thanks very much for all the help in finding cheap places to replace dodgy sneakers and all the friendly advice on where I wanted to walk to and also helping me find out where to get over to visit a friend in Mission. Also for booking the shuttle. I didn't get to check out all of your facilities but would definitely stay again and recommend to friends. Many Thanks, Julie from Australia :)

This hostel is one of my favourites, amazing location between the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, really cool, relaxed staff who are happy to help, comfy beds, very clean and felt very homely! Also, LOVED the duke box in the kitchen!

The room was small, there was a radiator, that was dangerously hot, you could have burnt yourself, and it heated up the room, so you couldn't sleep, it was also very loud. the facilities were average but i expected more, for the price we paid. it was very expensive.

I had to switch rooms 3 times (not fault of hostel, they were really full the days I was there) but it gave me a good overview of the building. The location is awesome, but the building is old and really needs some fixing. The last room I stayed the heater was right above my head while I was in bed: besides the incredible heat (in the summer) it's really easy to get burnt. Overall, staff is really nice.

Ideal stay. Ideal location for those backpacking through. Came for Outside lands and stayed to take in the city. Perfect for a weekend or extended stay. The breakfast room is impeccable, quite joyous to wake to and have an egg and some tea in a room filled with light.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Colombia

They should arrange the bathrooms : too old, not comfortable, no privacy with the showers

The location was great. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. However, the place is in dire need of repair. I paid to stay in an all female bedroom dorm, but ended up in a five bed room with little space. The pipes in the room were leaking in two separate places, which probably in part lead to the mouldy smell in the room. The radiator in the room also made a horrendous noise whenever someone was having a shower. With some repairs and maintenance, this could be a great place.

Some staff were really friendly and engaging, while others were a bit rude and turned the lights off in common spaces or closed the kitchen earlier than the posted time. A bit like the fun police. The singer, Charlotte, on Friday night was cool. A good breakfast in the cafe. This hostel has a lot going for it but just needs to work on the atmosphere.

The young man who checked me in @ 4am on the 4th was great. He had my paper work ready to go when I walked in the door because I called and told him I would be late. Kudos to that young man!

It is a good place to watch fireworks ( on 4th of July, for example). It is once a fortests to protect San Francisco. It is close to the public bus stop ( no. 47 and 49) where you canake a bus to the city. The hostel offers complimenry breakfast and you need to produce a coupon to have it. The only thing is tha some people may not have enough to have just 2 pieces of bread or 1 bagle. But to me it is a good idea that people do ot eat too much.

AMAZING PLACE ! just next san francisco bay.

• 2nd Jul 2014

I loved the hostel, although staff were abrupt and rude (it could have just been a bad day) but they seemed very stressed out. Also, laundry is only open after 4.30 (why? we do it ourselves anyway!). Location is amazing, views are great, fun times.

This hostel is very well located. Walk out the front and one side you have a view of Golden Gate Bridge and the other side Alcatraz. Close to Fisherman's Wharf. Staff very friendly and informative. The cafe really good food. Excellent facilities. One of the better hostels I've stayed in.

The location directly at Fisherman's Wharf is amazing but like most of the HI hostels it leaks some kind of atmosphere as they are very strict when it comes too drinking. Also, the mattress was horrible and it seemed like that tried to put the absolute maximum of possible beds into my room. Still, the food in there restaurant is really good! I enjoyed their sandwiches a lot.

Very clean and safe ! Beautiful setting, caring and pleasant staff ! The guy working at night shift was particularly helpful and kind ! Special thanks to Sam and Joshua who stood out from the rest of the staff : always smiling, excellent advice and very friendly.

• 17th Jun 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here! The hostel itself was really cool, we stayed in a 24 bed dorm

Absolutely loved my stay here! After a little mix up by me on the booking, the staff was very accommodating and made the stay great. The food was great, and the views of both Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge were breath taking. Using uber it only cost 24 dollars to make it to AT

• 13th Jun 2014

great place and atmosphere, nice kitchen… good hostel to stay in San Fancisco with a small budget !

• 6th Jun 2014

Ok hostel in a great location at a good price for san fran. No real complaints, beds a little tricky to get up and down, breakfast basic but bagels good but please get some proper black tea! Can't beat the location, ideal for a base. I wasn't there to meet lots of new people but if i was i may have been left a little disappointed as maybe lacking a bit in atmosphere.

• 3rd Jun 2014

poor bathroom facilities great and very helpful staff

• 1st Jun 2014