HI - San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Hostel Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Really great place to stay; Reminded me of the Villa Hostel in Interlaken switzerland. Nice lounge room with a fireplace in the middle. The only complaint is the room card key kept malfunctioning, and I was locked out of my room frequently and had to keep resetting it at the front desk. Key cards need to have the electronic chip, not a magnetic strip.

Extremely helpful and friendly staff, great location and very clean.

Fantastic hostel and very friendly staff. Location is great and historic too as it used to be part of Fort Mason army barracks.

The hostel was great and no real complaints. Its a little far from the city to be a party hostel but was exactly what I was looking for complete with a view from my room of The Golden Gate Bridge

I stayed 6 nights at this place first 3 as part of a tour group and then another 3 independently. The building and its setting is charming and close to Fisherman's Wharf and public transport. WiFi is good but only works in public spaces. Service is friendly and helpful and the on-premises restaurant cooks nice and inexpensive salads, sandwiches and soups. The breakfast is ok but you'll leave hungry unless you buy extra food (provided). My only complaint is the really bad and swampy mattresse

I put everything as average as I arrived at 11pm to be told the hostel was closing at midday the following day due to the government shutdown. I left at 9, so I spent 10 hours there, so I'm not really in a place to judge. I'm told the hostel is well located, and it seemed to be nice enough

Perfect location to enjoy the landscape of the bay! Friendly and helpful staff! Wonderful atmosphere!

Beautiful place, decoration, atmosphere. Very old beds and lack of shelves where one can put his things on.

Was really nice place. Lots of free things organised in the day, but the evenings lacked atmosphere.

Everyone at the hostel was so nice and helpful. I feel that we got really lucky getting a bed here. My friend and I shared a room with 22 other people and didn't have one complaint. Thank you for everything!

• 26th Sep 2013

The location is great, it's a 10min walk from Fisherman's Wharf, ideal for exploring the city. We stayed in an 8-bed dorm, beds were good, but the lockers were just below the bottom bunk, very hard to access in some corners and made of wood, not very secure. Proper metal lockers would be nice. Also P L E A S E install more power outlets. This is the 21st century, everybody needs to charge something. 2 outlets per room for 8 people just don't cut it anymore. Otherwise nice.

The breakfast was really poor: 1 bagel, 1 piece of fruit, and a drink is not sufficient..

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Belgium

Great hostel, location was fantastic and room was everything required. Clean and tidy with very helpful staff

Just about everything you could ask for in a hostel. Although a moderate walk up-hill from local transit, the hostel is in a beautiful area of the city with a view of Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz that can't be beat. Secure, clean, friendly and helpful staff, good opportunities to socialize, I'll definitely be staying here again.

very friendly staff and guests

The location is nice but it is quite a distance from downtown so doesn't have that much of a buzz after dark. I found that people were not very sociable and generally older than the normal hostel crowd. Free parking though!

Helpful and nice staff, clean and cozy facilities

• 17th Sep 2013
  • Lithuania

This is a hidden gem in san fran. Helpful staff. Great tours/activities. AMAZING view of the bay and Fort Mason is a nice retreat from the city. Far from some attractions but SF has a good bus system. Loved it!

• 13th Sep 2013

I had a fantastic time at your hostel; thanks to your wonderful carrying staff.

• 12th Sep 2013

Very nice hostel! Location only gets a 'Good' because it really depends on what you want. It is a little way from there to the 'cool' districts but it is directly at the waterside and its rather quiet. So I found it to be perfect but as I said its about what you want.

View all San Francisco Hostels