HI San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf

8.7
Fabulous 1652 Total Reviews

• USA, Female, 31-40
17th Feb 2017

It ia a little hard to find in the dark for the first time. They have the best blanket i have ever had at a hostel! Staff was great and very helpful. Breakfast was basic and u have to do your own dishes. Overall it met all my basic needs.

16th Feb 2017

I am intimidated by big cities. Staying in Fort Mason got me away from the scary downtown--quiet and very safe. I appreciated the free parking, although it was hard to find in the dark. I stayed in the 24-bed dorm and was assigned to a top bunk. I was able to climb up the side of the bed frame, but I know people who can't. It was warm, dark, and comfortable enough (lights out at midnight). There were snorers in the room. Breakfast is continental. Everyone cleans up after themselves.

• LFlanagan
14th Feb 2017

Fabulous place in all ways. What a surprise to discover the free juke box down in the kitchen. Extremely clean! Wonderful free events like the 6 hour walk we took with a tour guide who filled us in with all sorts of San Francisco history. Highly recommended.

14th Feb 2017

We enjoyed our stay for many reasons: the location is one of the last remaining "wild" stretches of SF Bay. Beautiful almost surreal closeness to the GG bridge and freighters going under the gate. I personally loved the music-esp. Kiss by Prince. Drawback~ Loud chatter at 5 am coming from the Common room. Next time we stay, I will ask who to call for in-house problems. Also-due to weather, nearby tree fell, necessitating chainsaw work prior to 7 am. Free parking-YAY!

• Mexico, Male, 25-30
13th Feb 2017
7.4

Didint stay canceled at front desk the staff that attended me said that there was goin yo be no charge ...

• USA, Male, 41+
1st Feb 2017

Ex Civil War era Barracks Hospital Building at Fort Mason. If you arrive after dark, Uber drops you off right at front entrance, a very good idea if you arrive after dark till you have your bearings. Muni SF City buses drop you off outside Fort Mason park grounds and you'll need to walk through pitch black punctuated by odd runners and bike riders, Busy place, bring flip flops for good hygiene around common areas like showers. This is a wonderful hostel, I've stayed at about 60, this is top 5.

31st Jan 2017
7.7

Pretty good location if you want to stay near the Golden Gate Bridge. Quiet area which is nice.

• England, Female, 18-24
26th Jan 2017
6.9

The location is definitely the selling point. It was great to overlook the bay whilst eating breakfast. I also loved the fireplace in the lounge - maybe not necessary to have on all day, but it was a nice touch. Otherwise, there are better hostels in San Francisco (Green Tortoise). The staff seemed uninterested, the bathrooms were not very clean and also just awkward to use. There was only one power point in the bedrooms, and the whole place felt like an unnecessary level of stingy.

Thank you for your review of the hostel. We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We will take all of your complaints to heart and do our best to improve the conditions for future hostellers. Take care! HI-Staff

24th Jan 2017

Very much enjoyed my 1st ever hostel experience. Loved the free parking (on a road trip that was important to me), LOVED the location, set back and quiet yet easy walk to everywhere (1-4 miles for most things). Private room first night was okay but not worth it unless you're traveling with a group and want to guarantee your privacy together. Enjoyed the 20 something bunk room (# of bunks). Staff were great, except this one guy who was always there & didn't seem to like life much.

Thank you for your review of the hostel! We are SO honored that you chose us for your first hostelling experience. How exciting that you had such a good time. We apologize that you found one of our staff members to be unhappy. We will work with the front desk agents to ensure that they are presenting a positive attitude at the desk. Hope you have the opportunity to come back and stay with us again one day! Take care :) HI-Staff

• India, Female, 31-40
24th Jan 2017

It's an awesome place to stay... Fantastic views of Golden Gate. Near Fisherman's Wharf and cable cars.. The ensuite- ladies dorm has its own sitting area and kitchen too which was a pleasant surprise. I would love to stay here again when I visit.

Thank you so much for this lovely review of the hostel! We would absolutely love for you to come visit again one day - our doors are always open for you! Maybe you could try a private room next time! Take care :) HI-Staff