HI San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Great hostel, in a good location!

This is one of the best hostels I've ever been to. The staff is very nice, helpful and friendly. The location is great: In walking distance to Pier 39, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Tour,... They offer free parking close by, a lot of activities and a comfy "living room". Definitely recommend it!

Thank you for your kind words! I am glad to hear you enjoyed all our hostel and city have to offer! I hope you'll return on your next trip to San Francisco!

I loved it! I stayed there for only one night but I wish I could have stayed more. The breakfast was great and the staff was very helpful and easy going. The facilities were clean, nice and the hostel was a very warm and welcoming place overall. I would totally recommend it to any traveller. THANKS.

Thank you! We truly appreciate your rave review! I hope you'll return the next time you're in town!

The check-in staff was rude and short to us. The didn't offer us sheets or towels so we had to come back later when we realized they weren't on the beds. When we booked we looked at the pictures online and it looked pretty nice, but the actual sleeping room we were in was in another building - not the main one, which was substantially less nice than the main building. Not a bad place to stay for one night, but I'm glad we didn't have to stay there for more.

• 26th Jan 2016

Great fun all round!

• 22nd Jan 2016

It was A good experience. I would defenetly come back.

• 15th Jan 2016
  • Mexico

Great location. Easy to access Presidio and Fisherman's Wharf. Nice staff and clean rooms.

I stayed in a private room at this hostel, and privacy and security expectations were met. Despite being in a dark area, I felt safe the entire stay. It's located in fisherman's wharf, but it's away from the touristy bustle, so that is nice. The complimentary breakfast is great! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The free parking is easy and really nice. I would stay at another HI hostel, but next time I might try another one in a different parr of the city.

• 5th Jan 2016

Clean, nice and basic hostel. No crazy atmosphere but it will definitely meet your other travel needs, Nice breakfasts and the beds are pretty good. A good place to have your San Francisco base!

This hostel is in a quiet location, 15 min walk downhill to the Fisherman's Wharf. The hostel is clean and the staff are very helpful. Full kitchen in the basement with a pool table so you can make any meal and hang out. There is also a TV room with comfy chairs. I stayed in the 24 bed dorm, I would not recommend to any solo travelers that are looking to meet people. The toilet and shower were A+ and private, individual, behind a locked door. Great to have FREE breakfast. Sat MISSION tour a must

The hostel lies in the north of San Francisco in a historic district and also near the famous Fisherman's Wharft which is pretty cool. The view is awsome, and it is pretty quit there (until 6 am when the kitchen starts to work), the SF downtown is however a bit to far. The most disturbing thing alongside the small dirty bathroom on the floor were really strange mid-aged single males who stayed there. Even for me as a guy it wasn't a pleasent experience to sleep in one room with one of them.

Thanks for your feedback! I am sorry you were disappointed by our facilities. Regarding restooms- we deep clean and regularly maintain them throughout the day. Since we are in a historically protected building, I am afraid size cannot be helped. In the future, do let the front desk know if there are issues with cleanliness. As for the "strange middle aged males" you shared a room with, we foster a diverse and inclusive environment for all and encourage challenging preconceptions. Safe Travels!

The hostel was good, but my bad experience in that place was after my last day of my stay. The day before I leave, I booked a taxi with the front desk girl to go to San Francisco Airport at TIME. Regrettably, the front desk girl did not tell me that this shuttle stops in every single hotel of San Francisco, and then I lost my flight back to New York. It is important that the additional services that Fisherman’s Whorf hostel provides should be reliable and the information as clear as possible- fo

• 26th Dec 2015
  • Chile

i really like this hostel. You can see the golden gate bridge when you have breakfast in Hostel. COOOOOOL!

Location is a little out of the way inside Fort Mason if you're not the walking type, but once you walk out it's really close to Fisherman's Wharf. Laundry room should be opened 24/7. Don't see why this can't be implemented.

It is true that we are not located in the city center, but rather in a beautiful corner of a national park in historic Fort Mason. Hostelling International's other two city properties (City Center, and Downtown-- aptly named) are more centrally located. The laundry room is open to guests from 4:30PM-9:30PM but is used by our housekeeping staff to wash the hostel's linens during the day and is too noisy for those staying in adjacent rooms to allow past quiet hours. Thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for a wonderful welcoming stay

• 24th Dec 2015

Glad to hear you had a pleasant holiday stay at our hostel!

Great view of the Golden Gate Bridge + great location + amazing staff = what else do you need? Very close to bus stops, the Ghirardelli Square, the Golden Gate Bridege, the Palace of Fine Arts. It was my first time staying at a room with 25 beds (Co-Ed); luckily, not all beds were filled. But everyone was very nice and quiet in the room. I had a great time!

We had a really enjoyable stay here but the thing that let it down for a us was the showers. We knew they would be a shared facility, but the lack of privacy within the shower areas was a bit confronting, as was the lack of space to place our dry clothes - there were no nearby benches or stools beside the curtains for you to put your clothes on, and unless you were happy to move around naked to the bench on the far side of the area ....it was a bit awkward.

very nice stay! breakfast in front of the golden gate, the rooms were clean, the people were nice and the 24 beds dorms was quiet!

Location of hostel was amazing! Beautiful views and quick bus ride to the other areas of the city. The walking tour was fun but I wished that there was more history involved. Some of the staff were amazing and super chill humans, while some gave off rude attitudes and were overly loud in the mornings. Female bathrooms could definitely use some hooks but that said, it is a heritage listed building and modifications are difficult. Overall, the location trumps everything, so quiet at night.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments on your recent stay at our hostel. I am glad our scenic location appealed to you and that you were able to participate in some of our activities. I am not sure which walking tour you refer to, but will pass your suggestions along to our activities coordinator. It is very disturbing to hear you felt put off by certain staff members. We pride ourselves on offering a welcoming and personal environment and consider it a major problem when our frontline staff is

Gave a "good" on atmosphere simply because I was there over a weekend (sat - mon) and there wasn't much going on in the way of activities/social. More weekend activities please! 😊 Couldn't fault anything else though. Well priced, clean hostel with very friendly staff.

• 12th Dec 2015

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your stay here for the most part. Regarding activities: we do have a tour of the Mission District that runs on Saturdays and in-hostel Tai Chi on Sundays. The front desk is always happy to share suggestions for local bars or nightlife as well! Hope you'd be able to take us up on these suggestions on your next visit to San Francisco! Safe Travels! Mira, Front Desk Manager

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4