HI-San Francisco-Fisherman's Wharf Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, California, USA

good hostel, good facilities. Especially the kitchen was good (equipped). Staff was very friendly, always willing to help.

Amazing position, nice people, very friendly hostel but...definitly low level about cleaning in the rooms, quite well the toilets! That's a pity for a place where you go to sleep... Anyway we enjoied a lot the permanence there and the location was quite perfect to see the main actraction of the area! Great also the shuttle service from the airport...if you're lucky enough to get it there when you arrive ;-)

staff very friendly and helpful. breakfast consists of bagel and piece of fruit. hostel pretty basic, under bed lockers and no individual light. very few power sockets in rooms. large hostel, pretty quiet when I stayed. location really good, inbetween the golden gate bridge and all the piers. has a deal with local company for half price bikes ($18) for the day. would recommend cycling across brdige and to muir woods. epic route but well worth it

very nice hostel, but could be more proper.

I stayed here for 4 nights in total and had a very good experience. This hostel has a very nice location and a very good kitchen, small cinema and super friendly staff. The breakfast was nice too and the rooms and lockers are ok, however some mattresses could use relacement as you feel the springs inside. The showers are ok but they could be a bit more private.

The hostel has an awesome location, walking distance to many main attractions as well as close to buses. The hostel has some of the most amazing views of the bay, the golden gate and just so much open green space at your finger tips; all the advantages of being in the city while being surrounded by nature. The staff was kind and very helpful looking up directions and giving suggestions for activities etc. I loved how clean everything was and felt very safe.

• 15th Aug 2013

I would definitely stay here again

• 15th Aug 2013
  • Mexico

The beds have had their time.... The mattress its springs are still visible in my skin. After 14 days of camping i couldn' t wait for a flat and leveled bed, but finally in the bed i wanted to get my thin sleeping mattress from my camp stuff because it was even better than those beds. The rest was great

There isn't much immediately around the hostel to do. You'll have to walk a little ways or take a bus, BUT the free parking is a HUGE perk. The building itself is nothing special, the bathrooms are so so, the Kitchen/Cafe was pretty weak. I haven't stayed in many hostels, but all that I have had pretty good meals, even if you had to pay for them. But again... FREE PARKING. Worth it for that alone. It'll cost you $20 to park your car anywhere else in SF.

• 14th Aug 2013

we had a wonderful stay. the staff is extremely helpful, nice and patient. the location cannot be beat and the building has so much history and character it really added to the stay. It was really wonderful to have the cafe on site serving tasty, wholesome food and divine organic, fair trade coffee, so key to my existence. a super nice touch was the water filter adjacent to the common room. I will most certainly stay there again and tell all I know to stay there too.

• 12th Aug 2013

Best hostel ever!

Beautiful landscape outside the hostel. Recommend shuttle to get to the hostel from the airport.

Only stayed here one night but enjoyed my stay. Great views of the Golden Gate Bridge and walking distance from fisherman's wharf and pier 39. Staff were really helpful. Decent coffee and bagels and fruit available for breakfast. Would recommend both this and the downtown hostel.

• 6th Aug 2013

Great place ! I recommend it

• 4th Aug 2013

Perfect location for Fishermans wharf, pier 39 etc but not within walking distance of city centre- lots of bus routes though

The two of us both contracted a bug while at the hostel, we believe from the kitchen. This was my only American hostel, only hostel without age restrictions ( there were young families and elders in the room), and only hostel I did not feel comfortable. We literally said every public restroom was cleaner than the hostel.

Great hostel, nice helpful staff members, interesting history as a barracks of a military base, outstanding location. About $40/night for a dorm bed, but I guess that's just San Francisco. The free parking was a definite plus, basically worth the price of the dorm room if you're driving. Great placw, highly recommended.

I would have wanted to get access to a washing line or the laundry room being open more hours. I handwash some clothes and would have wanted to hang them up to dry. Especially silk, which is useful when travelling, you cannot tumble dry. Rechargeing facilities would have been very useful, have seen plugs inside lockers at other hostels.

Everything within reach, Nice people, great food, just amazing!

A wonderful place!!