HI San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf Reviews

Building #240, Fort Mason, San Francisco, USA

Great location. Great view. However there are no fans or air conditioning, which in summer (32 Celsius) would of been ok had people in our room left the window open, but they kept closing it on the first night- was like a sauna. Also suggest additional power points at least one on two sides of the room, and kitchen hours weren't really sufficient.

I am glad you were able to appreciate our scenic surroundings here in historic Fort Mason. It sounds like you were visiting during an uncharacteristic heat wave, San Francisco is often foggy and chilly during the summer months!I am sorry to hear you and your roommates had disagreements over temperature. In the future, the front desk is happy to help you mediate these situations (they can also charge your device if power outlets are unsatisfactory) Thanks for your suggestions! Mira

Best choice ever. It worth the money. Amazing view from the café, very helpful staff, various facilities etc. Simply amazing ;)

I stayed in the 24 bedroom mix dorm and I was pretty hesitant about doing so but the room was super spacious & we had our own bathrooms & kitchen. The location was perfect and the hostel provided heaps of tours, things to do & discounts. I got help with every thing I needed and would stay there again if I was in San Francisco

• 3rd Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

This was actually my first stay at a hostel, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Between the helpful and friendly staff, the convenient and attractive waterfront location, and the relative ease of parking compared with the San Francisco area in general, I am very happy I chose to stay here instead of a budget hotel/motel.

So glad to hear we gave you a positive introduction to hostelling! Hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco!

The hostel is in a perfect location, you can walk right out onto the route from Fisherman's Wharf to the Golden Gate Bridge. The kitchen looks out over the water. Staff are very helpful and there is always something going on at the hostel. The reason we chose the hostel was because of the free parking, which is a massive plus in San Francisco where you will be paying around 40$ a day for parking. Dorm rooms were large but comfortable and well equipped.

Ppl are awesome and make like home, front desks great.kitchen staff awesome .♡

• 1st Sep 2015
  • Puerto Rico

Thank you for your kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco and all this great city has to offer (like the spectacular views from Twin Peaks!) I will pass your compliments along to the front desk and cafe staff! Safe Travels! Mira

This place was the absolute model hostel. I couldn't have asked for anything better than this place. Well located and maintained with secure facilities and helpful staff, the movie room and pool room were also major pluses that were well received by the group of guys I was with Loved it

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of everything the hostel has to offer! Hope you'll join us again on your next trip to San Francisco!

Generally a nice hostel. Good if you need parking in downtown SF. The rooms got quite hot at night during summer so that's a bit of a down point. Also the fact that the breakfast is limited to certain items per person.

Thanks for staying with us! It sounds like you visited during an uncharacteristic heat wave (San Francisco is typically quite chilly during the summer!) However, I am sorry to hear this caused you to be uncomfortable at night. I hope you'll stay with us again on your next trip to San Francisco (hopefully on a cooler day!)

Fantastic staff who were really helpful in organising activities and offering advice. Cafe offering nice food at reasonable prices and breakfast was really good. Not great hostel for young people looking to party. Not much drinking going on in the hostel - lots of families and has a slightly older crowd that most hostels I have stayed at. This is great if you're not looking for this but myself and my friend were. However, we did really enjoy our stay and the hostel bar crawl was brilliant!

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! I'm glad our staff was so helpful in helping you find all the special sights this city has to offer. While it's true that this hostel has less of a party vibe than other properties (our tranquil location sets a quieter vibe!) the front desk is happy to recommend spots for nightlife (or of course, send you on the pub crawl) !

Good location, felt a lot safer than other central city hostels. Due to size did not have the same atmosphere as a smaller hostel. Kitchen excellent and very spacious. Free breakfast good but quite stressful as cafe very short of seating and room very crowded. Recommend asking reception about Biking the Bridge as there is a good discount. 24 bed dorm quite basic, hinges need oiling to avoid disturbing other guests. Large open ground floor windows a bit of a security concern.

Device (e.g., phone, laptop) charging is a problem as there are no charging lockers. That would really help, either in the public areas or the rooms. Or, put a few plugs inside the lockers underneath the beds; that would work, too.

Thank you for suggestion regarding the charging lockers. I have shared this idea with our facilities team for consideration. We do offer charging stations in common areas (the upstairs lounge, kitchen and cafe) and the front desk is always available to charge any devices behind the counter. We are always looking for ways to make our hostel more accommodating and convenient for our guests! Hope to see you on your next visit!

Always coming back there and love it every time! The location couldn't be better;-)

I am so glad you feel consistently at home and welcome in our hostel by the bay, see you next time!

As a whole, the hostel was a good one. The staff were friendly and helpful all around. The cafe on hand produced a well balanced menu at a good price and it was all freshly made in front of you. The tours and events organised by the staff allowed you to see the city both in the day time and night time. My only issue with the experience was it very much felt like a hotel experience where everyone kept to their own little bubble, where in other hostels staff members would help mix people up.

My friends and I booked into the Fishermans wharf hostel and unfortunately there was an error in the computer system, this lead to a double booking and opened up the opportunity for things to go wrong. However, the very nice staff members dealt with this issue very professionally and we managed to overcome this :) Top marks!

Thank you for your kind words! Our apologies again for this unforunate mishap, I am so glad we were able to find a happy solution! I hope you'll come visit us again on your next trip to San Francisco!

Staff were very helpful and accommodating... I enjoyed my stay very much!

• 9th Aug 2015

I was not particularly thrilled by this hostel but it was not bad either. I slept in the 20 people dorm which is as noisy as one might expect. So that is defenetly not a recommended dorm for people who have trouble falling asleep. The breakfast was a little to limited since it is restricted with breakfast vouchers for a certain amount of food. Other than that the hostel was ok. Between average and good.

Enjoyed the stay staff location views running path great place

• 6th Aug 2015

Thanks for sharing your positive experience! Our staff are truly the heart of this hostel!

Hostel is well located very near lots of attractions. Kitchen was under equipped and had dishes were often not clean due to the method of cleaning. Beds were quite uncomfortable. A hostel suited to families with kids not backpackers, would not recommend for travellers wanting to meet people.

I am disappointed to hear your experience was not to your liking. We do our best to keep the kitchen tidy and accessible, with staff conducting regular kitchen checks every two hours and a daily deep clean by housekeeping staff. In regards to facilities being under equipped, we appreciate suggestions about equipment that would improve our communal kitchen. Finally, I am sorry you did not have the most social experience. We do offer many tours and activities I hope you'll check out in the future.

This hostel proposes several activities (bike the Golden bridge, taste new beers) very fun !

Liked this place a lot! Security was a bit iffy -- I stayed on a ground-floor room, & there wasn't a/c (which fine, I just happened to be in SF on a rare hot day) so windows needed to be opened for air, but no screens. The room was right by the main doors, and people walking by inches from the open window all the time was mildly unsettling. But I never felt unsafe & there are lockers. Views of alcatraz & bridge are freaking unreal!

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hostel by the bay (and on a rare true summer day)! We are lucky to enjoy such a special location in a national park! Because of this, there are many visitors who walk by the hostel, like the folks you saw outside your window (unfortunately, fire safety regulations prevent us from installing screens). We do take great care to keep the hostel secure, with 24 hour front desk staff closely monitoring all entrances. We hope you'll visit us again!

View all San Francisco Hostels