HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, USA

Location, whilst right near the train station, is pretty dodgy. Didn't feel all that safe to walk out after dark. The beds also weren't too comfortable. Very thin mattresses with a middle beam that makes it quite uncomfortable. The staff were really nice and the bathrooms were clean.

Will be booking here again! Thanks!! :)

• 20th Mar 2015

My room was booked as private - even though it has a bunk bed I had the room for myself, and all I wanted was privacy. What happened was on my second night, I was getting undressed, getting ready for bed in my underwear, suddenly 2 girls unlocked my door and came in! Apparently the room was still showing up as free in their system. 1. This could have happened when I wasn't there, all my belongings out in the open, my company pc included 2. This did happen around 11 pm, I could have been asleep.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Turkey

I always want to come back to this hostel because the excellent location. The Seattle Light Rail connects both International Airport and the location where this hostel is at. I took the Light Rail and got off at International District / China Town Station, cross the street, walked 2-3 minutes and here is American Hotel/Hostel. This is the cleanest hostel I have ever seen, even better than some hotels!

• 28th Feb 2015

It was my second time to stay at the HI-Seattle, and I can say that its real value for money. The place is clean, very close to the train station, secure neighborhood - and that's e.nough to meet my needs. I can recommend this place to the budget traveller anytime

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Zimbabwe

Standard sort of HI. I always feel it's a bit hard to meet people, and feel like they should have more events in the hostel. It's a nice place to stay, and it's clean, so it's definitely got that going for it.

I go to Seattle often and always stay at the Green Tortoise but it was full.Had no choice but to try the American Hotel Hostel. I found it as good as the Tortoise but was very upset to be charged $5 to hold my bag for 4 hours.The Tortoise does it for free and it should be a service offered . I have never been charged anywhere for that. Other than that everything was great but that will prevent me for staying there again unless it is the only choice like it was the case this time.

There's not downtown. You need bus to go to downtown. But just close to Kings street station. There is a lot of homeless around there. I don't recommend for female.

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Japan

Staff were beyond rude. Could not be more unhelpful if they tried.

cleanest hostel i've been in and very private. It's really well maintained and there are multiple bathrooms on each floor, so it seems like there are less people than there actually are. the kitchen is really big and well-stocked with all kinds of appliances. great location if you want to eat in the international district. there are enough

Nice hostel with cheap vending machine products....

The area of town is a little rough, breakfast was not quality, quantity or tasty, but the night staff were great and the location in regards to public transport is amazing

The attitude of the staff could have been better. When we first arrive there, one of the staff says it's impossible to make us into the same room since my friends and I make separate reservation. It's okay to separate us but please keep your good attitudes towards guests. We're not supposed to notice this before as you do not even specify on your website when we make reservation.

large rooms, clean bathrooms, good kitchen and a nice lounge area, in the middle of chinatown downtown, I'd say good, apart the exagerate price for storing my luggage half a day before leaving!

This is the perfect location for my sister and myself (70 and 73). A short walk to the transit station takes you to BOLT, the new, inexpensive express bus to Portland or Bellingham/Vancouver. A half block away is the gateway to the International District (don't miss the huge dragon climbing the phone pole). The neighborhood is clean, quiet, and safe. You may see a few drunks on the street. While unsavory, they never present a danger. As nice a hostel as I have stayed in.

• 18th Nov 2014

The location lets this hostel down, as two female travelers we did not feel particularly comfortable traveling back after dark. The hostel itself however is really nice, the bedrooms well equipped, and the bathrooms very clean and a good number for the number of guests staying. The breakfast was quite limited, but the kitchen was one of the best I've seen in a hostel. The staff were very knowledgeable, and Charlie the volunteer concierge was very helpful for us tourists!

I chose a 4 person dorm thinking it would just be us 4 sharing a bathroom and there were only floor bathrooms available. At one point the floor bathroom was being cleaned and both single bathrooms were in use so I had to go up to the next floor to use the bathroom. This was in the morning when people were getting ready to go out for the day or check out before 11am. Also common room closes at 11pm so had to go to hard chairs in the first floor kitchen area.

Very clean, but watch out at night. Very rough area with poor food choices and hard to spot.

• 1st Oct 2014