HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, USA

The location is soso, a bit away from the main city, but other things are so nice!

Great!! Easy to locate from train station, helpful staff, great kitchen and laundry facilities! Nice to have supermarket near by. Parking on street free overnight which made it easy when renting car. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here!!!

• 15th Aug 2015

The cleaning staff were rude and bossy, the location isn't great. However, the hostel itself is lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful, fellow travellers we're welcoming and friendly and the place was clean.

• 13th Aug 2015

This is a nice hostel with great communal areas and very clean but not worth the money, and as though it's not already expensive enough, they don't tell you about the tax on top until after you arrive. A good hostel but not for nearly $50 a night!

It was okay. Decent enough. Better hostels available in the area though as some facilities were not available - for example hairdryer loan, detergent, breakfast was very basic compared to most other hostels I've been to. Beds were also pretty squeaky and hostel was one of the noisiest. But as a place to rest a head for a night, was okay.

The windows in the room are very dangers because the windows are very low and big that people are easy fall out.

• 2nd Aug 2015

Booked here, as nowhere else to stay. Once inside the hostel the beds are ok (irritating middle bar which is a bit painful) and they had vending machines and have social activities to mingle. Area however, was def sketchy after about 6pm and I personally felt a bit intimidated by the homeless and got ubers back to the hostel. 2 girls in my room felt the need to run down the street away from the homeless! Aside from this, the hostel could be very good! Staff also dealt well with loud travellers.

Great that they have free breakfast from 6-9. The actual surroundings of the hotel aren't very nice but it is a short stroll to downtown.

THE cleanest and most comfortable hostel ever! No sandpaper towels here! Plugs everywhere for your convenience. Super friendly staff.

• 26th Jul 2015

Great staff.

• 18th Jul 2015

I thought the hostel was really nice and loved that there was a mix of private/shared bathrooms and showers. My only real concern about the place was the sketchy people in the area at night. There were so many drunk and belligerent street people around and I felt really uncomfortable waiting 20 minutes for my taxi to show up. Otherwise, the hostel itself was great!

• 17th Jul 2015

Be careful at night. There are thugs outside of the hostel. I would've been robbed by three guys if there were no people walking on the street.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so sorry that you had a difficult experience with the neighborhood at night and I'm so glad you were safe. --Kind Regards, Lydia, AGM

The hostel is in a terrible part of town - there were drug deals going on out front and there was lots of loitering late at night in the next street. We heard a woman loudly yelling for a group of men to "move along if you dont have no money" from the hostel bed when the window was open. For us it was ok for one night as it was close to our bus but i would never stay again nor recommend it to anyone.

Thank you for your feedback. Our neighborhood does have a large homeless population and there are no laws against loitering in Seattle. The hostel itself has a locked front door at night, security cameras and a 24 hour front desk. We are very involved with the local neighborhood authorities and we do take your feed back to the police department and city. I would like to encourage you to come back and try out the great museums and restaurants in the area during your next visit. Regards, Lydia

Stayed one night, great location for going to Century Link. Staff wasn't too friendly, but not really rude either. Clean rooms. No a/c, but that's true of most Seattle buildings. Fans available by beds is a nice touch.

First time at a hostel and it has exceeded my expectations. This was a brilliant stay.

• 9th Jul 2015

I'm thrilled that we were your first hostel stay! I hope this will spark an interest in other hostels around the world. Travel Safe!--Lydia, AGM

The staff were very good. However, the homeless and alcoholics that are around the hostel all day, and especially in the night, make the hostel a difficult place to stay. On the way back to Seattle, I decided to stay at the Green Tortoise Hostel. A much better living environment.

Thanks so much for staying with us and for reviewing the hostel online. I'm so sorry that you had a difficult experience with the neighborhood during your stay. There is a large homeless population in the area and it can get lively at night. Hope you had a great stay at the Tortoise. --Take Care, Lydia, AGM

I love this hostel, especially kitchen. It is conviniet here. If you buy many food in Bike place market. You can be enjoyed cooking here. N it's good access to greyhound bus station, safeco field, CenturyLink Field. If you would like to see sports, you will be satisfied with this location.

Thanks so much for staying with us! I'm so glad you had a great stay and were able to make good use of the kitchen and go see a game! Looking forward to your next stay. --Take Care, Lydia, AGM

It's a bit far from downtown (about a 30 min walk to the main tourist attractions) and there are a lot of homeless around. Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay.

Chinese were shouting at the top of their voices until 3am. People slammed the doors all night, there was no aircon at all in the room so it was 80 degrees trying to sleep.

• 25th Jun 2015

i had a great time in seattle.... the place is really good: close to king station, clean, the streets are not very great to walk at night. some weird couple enter our room and try to take someone`s bed.... but the situation was resolved fast.

• 19th Jun 2015

Thanks so much for staying with us and for reviewing us online! I'm so glad you enjoyed the city and your stay at the hostel. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience with the room. Hope to see you again soon!- Take Care, Lydia, AGM