HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, USA

Ok hostel - we had a super small room (some were larger), wifi was good, staff were helpful when asking where to go and what to do, in a strange area of town but easy to get to the central shops etc. by the underground bus, showers good, breakfast was ok - bagels, toast orange, banana and oatmeal, had lots of birds making noise at night but guess that can't be helped. Rooms get warm - bigger fans would be nice!!

Very Close to railway station and to china town. When I was there, there was noisy construction work outside. The lockers aren't beautiful but huge, you still must bring your own padlock.

It was a good hostel I have ever stayed compared with the money you spend. Facilities are pretty new and cleanliness is good. Not all staffs are helpful. I stayed there for 3 nights. One night when I came back after midnight , I couldn't open my door and I had to go back and forth 2 times to ask them to check my access card.

Loved staying here! It's cool to be in the heart of the International District and right next to the Link Light Rail and bus station (though the area is a bit shady at night). The staff were amazing! Really nice and helpful. There were hostellers of all ages here, the rooms and bathrooms were really clean, and they've got a great breakfast.

All good. Very helpful staff. Good location given the price (less than 5 min walk from International station, 20-25 min walk to Pike Market, 40-50 min walk to Space Needle)

it was so good.

• 30th Jul 2014
  • South Korea

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect. But the parking is a big problem. All information around the hostel are perfect. It is easy to find anything you need. I will choose it again next time.

Very noisy and often cluttered bathrooms.

I enjoyed that it was in Chinatown however it was very close to the homeless shelters and I felt unsafe walking through that area at night. I witnessed a female being harassed by a male and actually used my whistle to get him to leave her alone. Lots of people sleeping in the streets. While I empathize with the homeless I Wished I had chosen another neighborhood. On the upside it was only one block from the light rail to SEA. That was convenient.

• 19th Jul 2014

Good hostel well located with frierndly helpful staff. Older building but good facilities overall.

I got there on 5th July about 5pm. The lady with long hair on chick in counter was not helpful and attitude is a bit rude. Except that others are all good.

Awesome place!! Recomended!!

had a reservation. On day of reservation, had to cancel because of family illness. Staff was inexperienced, and offered no refund, credit.

• 30th Jun 2014

I had a great time there. Thanks! My only suggestion would be to contact with some local restaurant around and try to find out whether they could offer some discounts to the hostel guests.

The place overall had a nice atmosphere. The only thing that was poor was the washroom, especially the ones that has a shower. Sometimes, it can get a bit dirty. But overall, the Staffs there were friendly and the service was good.

• 27th Jun 2014

The atmosphere is dead. The crowd is older, there are families staying in the hostel with kids and the staff are downright onnoxiously indifferent. You aren't treated like a backpacker you're treated like a seedy client in a bad motel. Activitieswise too little to do. The way the hostel was run made it practically impossible to meet anyone with half an ounce of normal in them. Strange place. Forget the HI hostel and try and book into City Hostel across town. Its much better.

Very clean hostel, with good breakfast. Very close to a bus terminal and train station. It is located in China town and restaurants there are open until late night.

We were looking for a quick stay that was inexpensive, close to the light rail and to Safeco Field where we had tickets to a Mariners game. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. There are a couple of bars on the block with some interesting folks hanging around in the evening, but they were easily avoided by crossing the street and were probably harmless anyway. All in all, a great choice for location and not fancy, but everything was clean, orderly and practical. Would stay here again.

• 23rd Jun 2014

We had a mostly humorous experience. We were four old guys who got locked in our dorm room in the middle of the night. It took quite some time and effort on our part and the hostel staff to get us out. At one point we thought the fire department would have to save us through the window on to the street:) All ended well, but the room security was destroyed so there was no way to lock the room the much of the next day. However, we experienced no problem associated with the breached security.

• 17th Jun 2014

Absolutely fabulous location. Asian supermarket a block away, restaurants next door and bar on the corner. Can be sketchy late at night. Walking distance to all of downtown seattle if you want to get some exercise and explore. Breakfast is decent and place is safe and clean. Probably can find cheaper place but not as convenient or consistent. This is a hostel so expect a hostel.