HI - Seattle at the American Hotel Hostel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, USA

i had a great time in seattle.... the place is really good: close to king station, clean, the streets are not very great to walk at night. some weird couple enter our room and try to take someone`s bed.... but the situation was resolved fast.

• 19th Jun 2015

Thanks so much for staying with us and for reviewing us online! I'm so glad you enjoyed the city and your stay at the hostel. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience with the room. Hope to see you again soon!- Take Care, Lydia, AGM

Spent one night here before my flight out. Not horrible, but not great either. The lockers in the room wouldn't close unless I forced it. Very clean, but a lot of vacancies. Shared shower facility holds two. I also booked online, and expected to pay $28, but when I arrived they asked for $35. Checked out at 3AM for an early flight, and is right next to the rail station. It is not a great area. I'd recommend the Green Tortoise Hostel instead, but it is constantly full, so this works in a pinch.

Thanks so much for reviewing us online. Thank you for letting us know about the lockers, they have been fixed. I did check with hostel world and confirmed that the rate was correct, but I understand that it can be confusing with the taxes. There is unfortunately a 15.6% lodging tax in Seattle, which will be reduced for our guests beginning August 1, 2015. I hope that you will try us out again during your next stay in the city and we can make it up to you. Take Care, Lydia AGM

I really enjoyed my stay here in Seattle. The team is superb. I have interacted with everyone and have only positive things to say about them. It's refreshing to have a smoke and alcohol free environment..

• 13th Jun 2015

It was wonderful to have you here and thanks so much for your kind words. We'll see you again soon!-Take Care, Lydia, AGM

staff very knowledgable

Thanks so much for staying with us and for reviewing us online. Travel Safe!-Lydia, AGM

We enjoyed our stay at the Seattle HI Hostel very much. Great location, walking distance to many attractions. Very clean and comfortable. Free breakfast with some healthy choices and the perfect place to meet and chat with other visitors.

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hostel and were spend some quality time in Seattle. Please come back and see us again soon. Thanks for the review!- Lydia, AGM

The hostel itself was very clean. Facilities were good. Staff were lovely. The location of this hostel is far from ideal though. It's an unpleasant half hour walk down town. Only walk at night time if you enjoy being harassed for money and being grabbed and told to go to an ATM. Also as a 21 year old I found the this hostel to be skewed toward an older crowd.

Thanks for your review! It was wonderful to have you here. I'm so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with the neighborhood. This is an ongoing issue, but it is continually improving, thanks in part to the many travelers that come to stay, as well as the neighborhood associations and the involvement with the city. Please come back and see us again soon!--Take Care, Lydia, AGM

In a really sketchy area. Dangerous to walk around the area even during the day, despite close proximity to Bolt Bus, Union Station and Downtown. Stick in groups. Hostel itself is good, although its bad that you have to pay for luggage storage when checking out - this should be free. Beds clean, although 4 bed dorm has another room attached with no door - so its basically an 8 bed! this should be advertised! Some floors the showers are communal. WiFi good and breakfast sufficient enough.

I have stayed there three times, and I found it to be convenient to stay there.It is a ten minute walk to Safeco field and to century link field.It is a two minute walk to the link trsin and four stops to pike and pine station.I am from central massachusetts, and I love Seattle.

Internet is not very stable

Zimmer, Küche und Bad waren sauber und Küche und Bad wurden täglich geputzt. Trotzdem wären Klobürsten auf den Toiletten eine gute Idee. Die Zimmer (in diesem Fall ein Dreibettzimmer) waren zwar klein, aber gemütlich. Insgesamt ein schöner Aufenthalt. Einziger Minuspunkt ist die Lage, da in unmittelbarer Umgebung (yesler Way) sehr viele Obdachlose waren und man sich unwohl fühlte.

nice hostel, everything you would expect a hostel to be, very easy if you enter by Amtrek, only few minutes walk

The location is really convenient. It's located in China town. There is a light rail directly linked with airport.There are few Chinese restaurants around as well. The staff is not helpful at all, because they don't clean the room, not even the floor. The cleanliness of restrooms is high though. They offer a small fan and lamp for each bed, which are set up on the wall. Don't book it unless you like dorm life. Otherwise it will ruin your trip experience.

• 28th Mar 2015
  • China

Location, whilst right near the train station, is pretty dodgy. Didn't feel all that safe to walk out after dark. The beds also weren't too comfortable. Very thin mattresses with a middle beam that makes it quite uncomfortable. The staff were really nice and the bathrooms were clean.

nice hostel, neatly placed in the center of china town, short walk downtown. nice facilities with a great breakfast.

Will be booking here again! Thanks!! :)

• 20th Mar 2015

My room was booked as private - even though it has a bunk bed I had the room for myself, and all I wanted was privacy. What happened was on my second night, I was getting undressed, getting ready for bed in my underwear, suddenly 2 girls unlocked my door and came in! Apparently the room was still showing up as free in their system. 1. This could have happened when I wasn't there, all my belongings out in the open, my company pc included 2. This did happen around 11 pm, I could have been asleep.

• 14th Mar 2015
  • Turkey

I always want to come back to this hostel because the excellent location. The Seattle Light Rail connects both International Airport and the location where this hostel is at. I took the Light Rail and got off at International District / China Town Station, cross the street, walked 2-3 minutes and here is American Hotel/Hostel. This is the cleanest hostel I have ever seen, even better than some hotels!

• 28th Feb 2015

It was my second time to stay at the HI-Seattle, and I can say that its real value for money. The place is clean, very close to the train station, secure neighborhood - and that's e.nough to meet my needs. I can recommend this place to the budget traveller anytime

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Zimbabwe

Standard sort of HI. I always feel it's a bit hard to meet people, and feel like they should have more events in the hostel. It's a nice place to stay, and it's clean, so it's definitely got that going for it.

I go to Seattle often and always stay at the Green Tortoise but it was full.Had no choice but to try the American Hotel Hostel. I found it as good as the Tortoise but was very upset to be charged $5 to hold my bag for 4 hours.The Tortoise does it for free and it should be a service offered . I have never been charged anywhere for that. Other than that everything was great but that will prevent me for staying there again unless it is the only choice like it was the case this time.