HI Seattle at the American Hotel Reviews

520 S. King St., Seattle, USA

I'm very happy with HI Seattle. The bed was sooo comfortable. (Soft foam.) The "single" room had a bunk bed with a double bed on the bottom, a single bed on top, a sink, a chair, four lockers, and hooks on the wall and in the lockers. More spacious than I was expecting. Quiet in January. Some reviews complain of homeless in the area, but there are more around the conference center hotels. The hostel is *very* close to (confusing) public transport. Ask at hostel desk how to pay for transport.

Good place to stay. Nice dorms and facility's and everything at walking distance. I'd stay again!

Conveniently located! Staff was super friendly and although my stay was short, it was a good one

I felt so safe and comfortable during my stay at HI. The cleanness of bedroom and bathroom impressed me.

• 24th Oct 2015
  • Thailand

No safe parking. Desk staff warned me about parking in neighborhood overnight. NO warning about this when booking. Neighborhood scary to walk through in early evening. Will never return or ever recommend. Waste of money because I did not stay. Turned and left to go elsewhere after checking in and hearing desk staff warnings about my car.

This hostel is extremely convenient for Amtrak travelers; five minutes' walk from King Street Station and you're right there.

Really helpful staff.

The only concern about this hostel are not controlled by it, I mean this as the main issue being the surroundings. Every day I arrived or left the hostel I got contacted by homeless people living around it. It was no big deal because we were in 4 grown men. I'm saying that because I'd say that a group of girls or younger people could feel bad about it.

This place is all I needed! Such cleanliness, hospitality and helpfulness! I felt I could approach any of the staff to ask questions. Checking in and out was super easy. And it was near all the major public transit and great restaurants. - Wonderful!

• 2nd Oct 2015

Nothing special about this place and the immediate area around the hostel was a little sketchy. Inside it is exactly what you would expect of a HI hostel.

The good: The staff are nice, the location is convenient to public transportation and there's outlets, lights and fans by every bed. The bad: The bathrooms and common areas were pretty gross when I was there. They charge $5 to store luggage (ridiculous), and the walls are thin so it's noisy. All in all it was okay for a night, but when I return to Seattle I'll stay elsewhere.

All rounder. Not the greatest for fun and getting involved with people. Lot's of homeless kicking around outside and around the hostel!

Thanks so much for staying with us! We just recently started up a stronger activities program, so the next time you are around, come and see what we've got going on! Take Care, Lydia, AGM

pleasant staff, good location. Breakfast options and plenty of seating as well as a table set up with a local who could direct you to hings you wanted to see or do or offer up some options whilst you enjoyed your breakfast.

The location is something that bashes the reviews down, but honestly it's not that bad. It's a great portal to explore ChinaTown (much more interesting than downtown) and it's a perfect location for transport in and out of the city! Safety is no bigger concern here than anywhere else in the city. The old hotel feel is great, staff is great and the amenities and cleanliness are the best I've seen at any hostel ever.

Good clean hostel, friendly staff with central location

• 12th Sep 2015

Thanks so much!--Lydia, AGM

In all, this was a very good hostel. It is, however, in a sketchy area so just be careful at night, but nothing to panic about. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean! Breakfast was good! The only thing this hostel is missing is some party! I spent one night at the hostel and there was nothing going on. So maybe some night activities or games would be a lot of fun! I would recommend this hostel!

Thanks so much for your suggestions for activities! If you are in the Seattle area, we are looking for volunteers to help with tours, pub crawls, game nights and meet and greets. Take Care, Lydia, AGM

The facility and staff were very good. The location was pretty close to downtown, but a bit of a walk to the important tourist sites. The biggest issue is that the neighborhood is filled with drug dealers / crack heads / panhandlers which creates a sense of danger when walking to the hostel at night . However the hostel does have a strong security system, requiring a key card to get into the building at night, into the main bedroom areas and then into each individual room. Price was high

• 7th Sep 2015

So sorry about our lively neighbors. It's definitely something the whole community and police department are working to control. In the meantime, the hostel has staff 24/7, security cameras throughout the building, and a locked front door between the hours of 9m-7am. Thanks so much for staying with us!--Lydia, AGM

Courteous, helpful staff and guests. Both times I've been there recently a helpful guest carried my large suitcase up the stairs to the reception area that is on the second floor. People were also helpful about procedures in the kitchen, and cleanliness was modeled and encouraged. Love the recycling systems in place throughout. My roommate and I had things in common to chat about. Enjoyed sitting out on the fire escape over the street, listening to city sounds that cool summer evening.

• 7th Sep 2015

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm so glad you had a great stay. For all future guests, however, we ask that you please refrain from hanging out on the fire escape and reserve that use for emergencies only. Take Care and travel safe!--Lydia, AGM

The staff was really friendly and quickly corrected a room designation issue. Everything else was great but I did wish there was air conditioner for those muggy summer nights.

Thanks for your patience while we corrected the issues with the rooms. So sorry about the heat. It's been an unusually hot summer for us. We do have small fans by each bed and larger fans available at the front desk. Take Care, Lydia, AGM

Loved where the hostel is located. I liked the fact that it was close to bus and light rail lines.

• 3rd Sep 2015

Thanks so much for your comments! I'm so glad that we could get you where you needed to go. See you again soon. Take Care, Lydia, AGM