HI-Toronto Reviews

76 Church St., Toronto, Toronto, Canada

Hooks On the Doors of the 'Public' washroom toilets for a jacket etc. would be great! Maybe consider separate washrooms for boys and girls?

Most of the staff were very helpful and friendly. They made my stay more relaxing, but one member of staff, David, a German I think was most unhelpful. I came to him on arrival and I had something that needed sorting. He said it's not his problem and wouldn't help. I find that very poor service on his behalf. The young lady at reception then intervened and helped me out.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the poor experience you had at first. As other reviews will attest to, our staff is often praised for their friendliness and helpfulness, so we assure you this is definitely out of character for our team. Management has already taken steps to ensure these do not happen in the future. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future for an improved experience. Safe travels.

Best Hostel breakfast I've had! Has eggs and bacon, granola and yogurt or a vegan option!

Stayed on the second floor. Could hear the music from the pub in the basement loud and clear . Made for a poor nights sleep.beds are newer and comfortable but the washrooms are grimy and unclean. You could see the orange shower mold in places that give the impression that a more thorough cleaning never happens . Washrooms could use a bath mat as water pools, and it's a matter of time before someone has an accident . Staff never offer memberships to non members as done in other Hi Hostels.

Thank you for your feedback. We assure you our housekeeping team does thorough cleaning of our bathrooms - however, we identified some bathrooms in which the problem you pointed out go beyond the cleaning, and we are getting on fixing them right away. We hope you will choose to return to have a better experience. Safe travels.

I enjoyed my stay at HI - Toronto. The staff were really fun and helpful and put in an effort to make a fun Thanksgiving Dinner on Canadian Thanksgiving. There are washing machine facilities, a good breakfast included in bar/restaurant area and it's a good location to food and downtown areas. Really comfortable beds for a hostel!

Good atmosphere and bar. Great breakfasts too!

• 9th Oct 2015

Not very clean overall. For non members , staff rarely offers a membership unless asked. Breakfast may be free but it takes too long and kinda sucks. Hop on and off bus stops right outside . Skip the hostel pub and check out a decent bar nearby. If there on a Wednesday , the AGO tour is a must do activity , or go on Your own. The sound carries down the hall, room to room and even several floors up from the bar. Most beds are new and comfy 6 bed room are the best floor layout option.

Amazing breakfast and in a great location!

• 6th Oct 2015

Bathrooms are subpar, need better cleaning . Was upgraded from a 8 bed female room to a 4 bed coed room. I believe that it was not due to space, but so that a room would be left empty and not need to be cleaned . Space is cramped everywhere . Had breakfast one morning and it's the worst breakfast I've ever had. If you order eggs, they cook them the way they want, no option and had a funny taste. Maybe put on the board how the eggs are cooked that day. Location is really the only good thing here

Quite a cold (atmosphere) hostel to stay in. Really just like a very down market hotel - why not just stay in a nicer hotel? The social aspect of the hostel wasn't very good. It is just too big. Handy location for Toronto. Also there were some what looked school groups which weren't the friendliest or best behaved. I think most people were using the hostel as a very cheap overnight stay/hotel for Toronto & it lacked everything about hostel I know (I interrailed in Europe).

The room had a poor layout, felt very cramped. And not enough outlets per person. The room was right over the bar so it was impossible to sleep before midnight.

The amount of work that the staff do towards the customers is amazing, every night there was something going on like bands downstairs and the bar crawls. The city itself if amazing and the people are some of the best I have met.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your kind words. We take a lot of pride in what we do for our members, and we are so glad it shows. We hope you will be able to visit us again sooner rather than later. Safe travels!

I stayed here for a week while I was in-between homes. It is a well-organized place and has everything you need. Breakfast was good and place was being cleaned a lot. If you are looking for that backpacking experience it's a great hostel. My matras was a little old tho and there is little space in the rooms to move.

I enjoyed staying at this hostel because first of all you meet so many people and the staff are really nice and very helpful. The location is very good so near to many places and when i return back to Toronto i will stay here again because i like the neighbourhood so much.

Good location within walking distance to union station, good beds, includes a decent breakfast too, a good sociable hostel & would recommend & use again.

This hostel has everything you need. The breakfast is the best I've ever had at a hostel! The location is ok for some sightseeing but it is basically in the financial district. There are much better bars about a 30 mins bus traveling west.

Old grumpy people staying don't make it pleasant, so obviously intolerant & not cut out for hostels. Queue for breakfast not managed well. Even for the lunch to go if you're 'in a hurry' - this breakfast could be pre made ready to go! Then you get a really black banana that you can't actually eat. Too big a hostel & no community, friendly feel about it. Staff laid back which was nice but lacked any sort of enthusiasm. Wouldn't go back 😔

Hello Caroline,thank you for your feedback. HI-Toronto is a hostel that is open "TO HELP ALL, specially the young, have a greater understanding of peoples, places and cultures through hostelling" - We will always welcome folks of all ages, as we believe all people have valuable experiences to share and contribute in these cool exchanges we set up in hostels. We are sorry you didn't feel that way during your visit.We hope you will choose to come back for a different experience.Safe travels

The place was pretty as I expected. Awesome breakfast, tons of activities everyday and I've met some wonderful people from every part of the world :). Also, very good location and the staff is very friendly. One thing I didn't like was that they didn't have earplugs the entire time I stayed there (approx 1 week). So just a little long before they get their stock renewed. Also, not every room has an outlet for each bed, and the lockers are smallers than the one you can see on the pictures.

The staff were very helpful

classical Band B :Bad and breadfast was satisfied of the price. There were very hot weather and climatisation unit was very noisy

• 15th Sep 2015