HI-Vancouver Central Reviews

1025 Granville Street, Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Myself and girlfiend had an en suite private and it was a fantastic room, better than SameSun's version. Free breakfast is very good though not quite as good as SameSun hostel across the street where it was fresher and there was a lot more room to eat it. If returning to Vancouver, I would choose HI-central again

Breakfast area was too small so many had to stand up. Sofas in living room were old and in poor state.

I had a nice stay here for a couple of days while visiting Vancouver. Hostel staff was awesome, even checked in my friends room to make sure they got back to the hostel, after being out all night, for me. Beware if you've never been to Vancouver, there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts on the streets. This really applies to Granville St. There are a lot of homeless hanging around outside on the same block as the hostel. That said, not once did I feel in any danger at the hostel.

Straff was excelent, location was great and everything was perfect. Except the smell in our room, it smelled like an old beer fart. Bit if you only plan to use the room for sleeping it is OK.

Very nice hostel in a central location. Things are very clean, there is breakfast in the morning but there are not many options. The bathrooms are cleaned regularly, also it is very surprising that they actually have A/C in each room, which seems uncommon in Vancouver. The staff are friendly, there are many fliers and other things in the lobby which can greatly help you plan your trip.

The building needs a thorough renovation!

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

If you just need a place to sleep downtown it's fine and the showers are good. But it is very unpersonal and there are no facilitites but microwaves in the 'kitchen'. I would not recommend it for backpackers.

Yep good p0lace to stay good location.

Booked a private ensuite for 1 week in July. The room was clean and quite spacious. The floor at other bathrooms that appeared to be really clean too. The free WIFI needs a little improvement but hey, it's free! The breakfast, which is included, is really good. The staff was really helpfull. Overall, a great stay! Would definitely recommend it!

• 17th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Great place! Staff were rude and seemed very uninterested in helping us. When we checked in, the chick slammed down our keys and motioned for us to move along. If I stay in a place for $30 a night, staff should be paid enough to at least greet guests with a smile. Otherwise, good hostel.

Had a great time here. I think the place could be due for minor renovations like better washers and dryers, and the hallways had a peculiar smell, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall everyone seemed happy to be there. Next time I'm back in Vancity I'll probably stay here again!

• 9th Jul 2014
  • RowdyVega

The dining room is small.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

Had a great stay. Good room, quiet with comfy bed. Great location with good breakfast included. Only complaint was that the price quoted in Hostel world was for HI members only, which I didn't realise (being a nonmember ) so had to pay more than I expected.

Those Capet in the room need to go . And some of the sofa in the communal room are also bad !

Pretty good hostel, the breakfast especially is really the best i had from all the hostels i visited in Canada (and i went to a bunch of them), the private rooms include a cabinet with water easily accessible, overall the place is pretty clean, worth it !

It would be even better if the breakfast area was bigger, as there's lots of people coming down for breakfast in the 4-5 levels building , 6 tables certainly wasn't enough , wifi could be stronger as it varies with the "position" in your room, the place was clean , right in the center of downtown Vancouver , 3 blocks down meant 15 minutes of walk with your luggage , normally it takes about 10mins after alighting from train to reach hostel, awesome helpful staff, I will be back :)

The accommodation was great and the staff very helpful. We had a private room with unsuite which was great. The location was Ok but the area was quite shabby with quite a few homeless people and dirty streets but we felt safe. I would recommend this accommodation to friends and family.

Good location downtown, if you want a relaxed hostel stay here, if you want to party stay directly across the road at the Samesun. The free breakfast was a goodone.

The hostel was okay. The description on Hostelworld for this location does include information saying there is a 10% surcharge for non-members, but it's not until you hit the "more" option, so it's extremely misleading. And surprising when you show up and the cost is 10% higher.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Armenia

Though my car was broken into while it was parked in their parking lot, the staff was very nice and supportive and were very sincere in helping me through the situation. Besides that negative encounter, every other aspect of the hostel was lovely and outdid my expectations.