HI-Vancouver Central Reviews

1025 Granville Street, Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Great location, definitely safe. There were definitely some pungent smells going on in this hostel. I stayed in a private room the first night and a shared dorm the second night. Although the private smelled funkier and appeared dirtier, I slept quite peacefully and the private shower was very clean. However in the shared dorm I woke up multiple times through the night violently itching myself, which makes me think they potentially have bed bugs.

wifi not stable at room, better at lobby. great location at main commercial street, close to everything.

Fine youth hostel, very quiet, clean, safe. Breakfast included: bagels, cereal, apples, cream cheese, bread, muffins, o.j., all aplenty. Great location, really.

• 8th Jan 2015

Comfortable, clean, well located!

My friend and I had an amazing time for this being our first time staying in a hostel. We really enjoyed the helpfulness of the staff in giving us directions and ideas of things to do, considering we had few ideas when arriving. Our favorite part was that the hostel organized activities each day. It was a great way to meet new people. We would definitely stay again and recommend this hostel to others.

• 21st Dec 2014

This was an amazing hostel, not only was the staff super friendly, but the location was right on point! we were so close to EVERYTHING!! and if we weren't close to something we were right next to several skytrain stations and bus stops! Could not ask for a better hostel.

• 20th Dec 2014

Just wish that internet was better and bedrooms/bathrooms much cleaner. Past 2 years maid were unpleasant and careless but the new ones seem much better!!

• 18th Dec 2014

had a double room with shared bathroom and although the room was small, it was sufficient and there was always a bathroom available. Breakfast is good with juice, fruit, cereal and bread. The heating however wasn't great. We had to rely on a blow heater while we were awake and then had to put on warm clothes for the night

I love that it's in the middle of everything!!

• 21st Nov 2014

My private room was clean and had an ensuite bathroom. The breakfast was good (bagel, toast, muffins, cereals, fruits, coffee, etc.). The location was ideal. Nice communal areas. I think it's the best hostel I have ever been to!

It was nice, just as younger person I would have like it more if a bar was on site. Also maybe a table tennis table or pool table

• 31st Oct 2014

Our room had a lovely veiw over downtown and the hostel in general was in the best location we could have hoped for. The only two drawbacks weren't a big deal at all. The internet and the elevator were just a little painfully slow. The elevator wouldn't have been an issue at all if there were stairs to the fourth floor and the internet wasn't too much of a problem, because there are cafes with WiFi everywhere. The staff was always knowledgeable and helpful and everything was very clean. Thanks!

• 30th Oct 2014

Not even a stove to cook on! From one of the best hostel chains in the world, this is a pretty poor show. The staff didn't seem to care that I wanted to check in, even though I just dragged in a really heavy bag out of the rain. And they didn't really care that I wasn't able to cook my dinner. I've seen bad, dodgy hostels with better facilities and staff attitudes.

If you want good night sleep HI's pretty good but if you want a fun atmosphere try the samesun across the road.

A great place to stay. The free breakfast is amazing. The wifi is not great but it's free so can't really complain. Free luggage hold too. The facilities are great. Bad directions to the hostel though (which way is south? Just turn right on Granville street). Most staff were really helpful but one seemed like it was too much effort to tell me which bus to catch. All in all a great place to stay and I will be back after the ski season.

I had a very comfortable stay at HI. The doona smelled terrible, but the room was clean, had massive lockers and there was a sink which was convenient. A free breakfast was offered daily until 10am and included cereals, bagels, toast and muffins plus juice, tea or coffee. It's only a couple of blocks from the metro station and a short walk to the ferry or Stanley park. If you want equal, if not better amenities plus a social atmosphere, however, stay across the road at Samesun.

Carpets need to be changed.

This was my first experience staying in a hostel. The staff was amazingly helpful. I recommend this hostel due to it's location and the staff. What a great place, the staff made you feel right at home.

• 16th Oct 2014

Great place, awesome staff and really great location. Only bad thing to say is that sometimes there's a weird smell in the common areas, the wifi doesn't work in rooms and there's no stove in the kitchen. Otherwise overall the stay was great!

• 14th Oct 2014