HI-Vancouver Downtown Reviews

1114 Burnaby Street, Vancouver, Canada

Toilet door in room was a bit dodgy!

• 20th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Mixed Group, 41+

The rooms are quite small, but overall the hostel was clean and in good shape.

The staff member who checked me in was incredibly rude. She seemed more anxious to get back to texted on her phone than to check me in. Despite working in customer service and working with international travelers who may not understand the system, she was very short and somewhat demeaning when I asked a question about how to use the card and about the breakfast.

• 16th Aug 2015

My only complaint would be not being able to get wifi in the bedrooms. Seems somewhat 20th century!

• 14th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Average hostel, the staff was ok, but nut more than that. First visit in Canada, and the atmosphere is probably not like in South America or Asia when you visit hostels.

Staff were miserable here and made me feel uncomfortable! The hostel itself was clean and comfortable however stupidly hot in the rooms! wifi was unreliable. Location of this hostel was great right of davie street and a few minutes walk to the beach. Really mixed atmosphere here as a young solo traveller I wouldn't stay here again as there is a seriously large mix of ages and only met a couple of people who were of similar age. Wasn't to impressed with HI hostels unfortunately.

The only major problem my friend and I had with the Vancouver Hostel is the unbearable temperature inside the rooms. Even when the temperature outside was low it was like an oven inside. The small fan provided did little besides fueling some tension between the people on where it should be pointed at. I loved the staff, the location etc but would recommend some sort of air conditioning or maybe a ceiling fan even if it meant adding a few dollars more.

• 6th Aug 2015

Great location, comfortably able to walk to Gastown, Yaletown. comfortable and clean room. We stayed in a private 2 person room which has its own sink and shares a toilet with the adjacent 2-person room. Breakfast was a decent layout of breads, jams, cereal. Had a car (parking $11/night), which opened up lots of options. Car is kept in a gated small garage under the hostel. Wifi was actually very fast (in contrast w earlier reviews on here).

The location was great and the kitchen was well equipped. Otherwise I found the whole place quite run down and often the bathrooms and common areas were actually quite dirty. My room on the 4th floor was unbearably hot particularly at night. Ron the volunteer who did the BBQ and took a group to the fireworks was fab.

Rooms were very hot and not much circulation in it. We had a fan so that made it easier to fall asleep at night. Most of the hostel was pretty hot and stuffy but the weather outside was really nice. Rooms and facilities were really nice.

great location for Vancouver , only complaint is how hot the rooms are with limited fans

• 30th Jul 2015

rooms could be better. rooms were so dark at night...

• 30th Jul 2015
  • Iran

at these hottest days of the year, it helped to keep the door open when we slept since the room got the full sun in the daytime. the staff were very helpful and friendly. my only regret was not staying longer!

The hostel is in a great locailocaion, near many bars and restaurants. It is also near a ferry stop to Granville Island. The free breakfastvwas delicious and fresh too.i'd stay here again

Very nice and clean hostel in a very convenient location. Some staff members are great (others not that much), the free breakfast is quite good and our private room with shared bathrooom was spacious (with a sink, awesome!) and the beds in it very, very comfy. Would stay there again for sure.

The range of pots,pans & microwave dishes could be upgraded.

Nice hostel. Clean, kitchen facilities were well and good free breakfast.

Nice hostel, good location & great breakfast. Pretty quite but good vibe! Facilities have seen better days, though!

Our reservations were switched in their system a day later than my original reservation date. We were fortunate enough that they had a room available for us but it is worrisome that it happened. If they did not have a room available, we would be left out in the cold. They were very courteous and were able to accommodate us though. We just had to switch rooms after the first night but that wasn't as bad as I thought.

• 4th Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Helpful staff and great value for money. It's a well organised and run place. Lovely being near the beach too. My only criticism would be how hot the dorms got in the warm weather!