HI-Victoria Reviews

516 Yates Street, Vancouver Island, Victoria, Canada

Location is amazing. The hostel is nice. It would be nice if wifi extended to rooms as it's just within the common areas. Each bed comes with its own locker but the locker I was assigned was broken, with the door almost falling off its hinges. Overall I would stay again for the location alone.

• 20th Aug 2015

This hostel is a quiet cosy one with friendly staff.

My original booking was a 8 beds dormitory, but when checking-in, I had the bad surprise to be rebooked in a 44 beds dormitory. I was told that 8 beds dormitory where only available for families and small groups. So the 44 beds dorm was huge, no key for the room, the internet was barely working. I ask for a refund and stayed at the ocean island hostel instead. Obviously, Hostelworld needs to fix the issue about the booking option of 8 beds dormitory.

Yes it is true, we do try to reserve our co-ed rooms for couples, families and small groups only becuase we have only a certain number of rooms and we try to be as fair as possible to all. We do get alot of families with kids here and we like to be able to give families a economical place to stay. Our security record at the hostel over 35 years of operation is excellent and we strive to keep everyone safe and secure at all times. Happy Travels

This hostel had zero atmosphere I checked out after one night There's no where to charge you phone next to your bed do you need to leave your phone out where any one could grab it There's basically a communal shower where you have little privacy you need to get changed in the shower or stand out in the open naked I wouldn't stay here again

Atmosphere in hostels change daily. If guests like to engage with their device all night things can be a bit quiet, but during our jam nights, movie nights, and occassional dinner nights we have a great atmosphere. It really depends on how engaging our guests are and if they converse with each other....thats what hostels are about. We do have an older building that does lack electrical outlets for each bed, but we are working on that. Its does take time and money though. We'll keep trying.

It is fantastic situation. Very clean. But ONLY bread and coffe for breakfast and poor. Bad wifi and the rooms are for 20 people

• 30th Jul 2015
  • Spain

It was a handy, good hostel

Really great location walkable to all of the main sights in the city. Wifi was not great and didn't work most of the time.

A 44 bed dorm is not a suitable room size for a hostel. The 8 bed cubicles were cramped and insecure, the room was bright and incredibly noisy and the size makes it incredibly likely to have someone snoring and someone smelling of BO affecting the whole dorm. No room keys so anyone can go anywhere once inside and the clientele the 44 bed dorm attracts detract from any atmosphere the hostel could have. Should not have an option for "mixed dorm" - change it to "couples dorm".

Very well lovated in town. Nice building. Very friendly personal. At night some noise frim outside when window is open.

very good staff and location! Great deals for touristic attractions! 😊

Very good hostel experience! Very clean, bed was very comfortable. Staff at front desk extremely helpful. The location is awesome, just 5-10 minutes walk to all major attractions in downtown.

The hostel is nice, clean and quiet!

A good hostel for overnight. Walking distance from bus station and close to all downtown activities. Big dorms but well laid out. Airy and clean. Facilities basic but adequate. A bit noisy from the streets outside but that's not the fault of the hostel operators. Good if you are an ok sleeper, could be would be hard if you are not a good sleeper.

Great place BUT the noise from the bar over the road at night was mad. Especially between 12 and 3 am, when thier custermers linned up waiting for a taxi home, what a din, people screeming, laughing and shouting, so very loud I could not sleep.

The staff is really great! The hostel is located very close to the sea, downtown, close to the main interesting places! The dormitories are well done and quiet, the kitchen is big and very practical, there are big common rooms. And the staff guided me very well for activities transport info, shops... I recommend this hostel 100%!

Thank you, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments. Happy travels!!

Great bike parking facilities and wonderful staff. I had a great stay! Thank you

• 16th May 2015

I thought everything was great as usual. Always look for you guys when I go travelling!

• 3rd Apr 2015