HI - Washington DC Hostel Reviews

1009 11th Street, NW Washington, Washington DC, USA

The Hostel was good and in a fairly good location. The included breakfast was great and the atmosphere there created by the breakfast man was so much fun! However the mattress was super uncomfortable, the lift was a nightmare and the schools kids playing around on it didn't make it any faster! I ended up taking the stairs up and down to level 5 most times.

Probably the best hostel of the town,with a lot of services (but wifi is slow),good safety,breakfast and kitchen. If you arrive con greyhound and megabus, take the comutator to Georgetown inside the bus station.

Everything about this hostel was above expectations. Our floor was full of students, yet we did not have any issues with using the shared facilities. Breakfast was a bonus and John made everyone feel welcome. The kitchen and dining room was the best set up we have ever come across, and we have used hostels all over the world.

Great hostel! I recommend.

• 17th May 2015
  • China

Bathroom was small and not clean. Rooms were good size and the beds surprisingly comfortable. Was surprised that we had to buy a lock for the in-room locker. Hostel was very noisy - neighboring rooms were playing music loudly.

Cold showers in the morning if you get up too early. Do you turn the water temp down at night? Other than that, a pretty good spot and a great deal.

• 11th May 2015

We had a good stay and met some great people. Very friendly and helpful staff at a clean and efficient hostel very well located for the major attractions of Washington.

I loved staying at the hostel. I felt bad though because I'd come back late since it seemed like everyone in the hostel slept at 10pm. The outside noise was loud but the earplugs really helped. The staff were also very friendly. I know it's very hard to do but one more elevator will be helpful because the wait time is very long. other than that, I really enjoyed my stay at the hostel and wish that i could've stayed longer.

• 8th May 2015

Good location , No problem with this hostel , Especially the bike share parking is super near the hostel just around the corner.

Convenient location and great staff. The thing that threw me though were all the kids staying at the hostel. I was very surprised to find that a lot of minors stay there with their class on their field trip to D.C.

Loved everything about it! The staff were amazing and always helpful and friendly. Huge bonus was cleanliness and a good breakfast.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • South Africa

As my filling out your survey indicates, the hostel was very satisfactory. My stay was short which perhaps is a reason my ratings were only good. .I do have one significant criticism in a category that might be described as customer service. I lost a hearing aid. It was my fault and I would understand why it was nor found, but my two phone messages, one e-mail and one snail mail requests to acknowledge that they received my request would indicate a concern for my loss would have been nice

• 24th Apr 2015

The staff were all very welcoming and friendly, the guy who was in charge at breakfast was a hoot and was great at encouraging people to talk to each other.

I thought the set up of the hostel was great! Ample kitchen work space, lounging area, computer work area, and outside "courtyard" were perfect. There was even a billiards table for those that didn't want to take advantage of the free pub crawls and tours of DC. Only 2 blocks to the Metro which makes the location perfect for those depending on the Metro.

Very friendly atmosphere, great people, awesome breakfast. BUT it's quite noisy, because the walls are very thin, and the air vent inbetween the walls of the rooms are perfect to hear your neighbours!Nice and very clean space, very cosy.

• 16th Apr 2015

Great place to stay! So close to National Mall !!! Less than 10 minute cab ride to Georgetown!

My friends and I, we had a great time there. Everyone is nice and helpful. The place is clean and close to everything and the breakfast it's awesome!!! We really loved stay there.

• 11th Apr 2015

I have stayed at HI-DC before and one of the staff at the kitchen floor is still there! His name is John. I was surprised that he remembered me! He did his usual signature, "Tell me good morning in your language." I gave him at least 4 languages! He's such a talented guy, caring, and so welcoming! - thank you! HI-DC should definitely shift him to HI's around the US to share his personable personality! Also, my stay at the all female room were comfortable, clean, and so as the restrooms.

Great staff, and amenities. I'd actually would have stayed there longer if I knew how it would be.

• 11th Apr 2015
  • Israel

Pros: 10 Minutes Walk from the White House, 5 mins from Ford s Theatre. Fantastic location. Facilities very new, sofas, great kitchen, best breakfast I've had in a Hostel. Had my own light and plug an mini shelf all in one unit which I thought was brilliant. Lockers big enough for your luggage and bathroom/showers areas really great. Cons: At the particular time I was there, there was a lot of school groups etc. which probably added to the lack atmosphere. very 'keep to yourself' I felt

• 3rd Apr 2015