HI - Washington DC Hostel Reviews

1009 11th Street, NW Washington, Washington DC, USA

The staff were all very welcoming and friendly, the guy who was in charge at breakfast was a hoot and was great at encouraging people to talk to each other.

I thought the set up of the hostel was great! Ample kitchen work space, lounging area, computer work area, and outside "courtyard" were perfect. There was even a billiards table for those that didn't want to take advantage of the free pub crawls and tours of DC. Only 2 blocks to the Metro which makes the location perfect for those depending on the Metro.

Very friendly atmosphere, great people, awesome breakfast. BUT it's quite noisy, because the walls are very thin, and the air vent inbetween the walls of the rooms are perfect to hear your neighbours!Nice and very clean space, very cosy.

• 16th Apr 2015

Great place to stay! So close to National Mall !!! Less than 10 minute cab ride to Georgetown!

My friends and I, we had a great time there. Everyone is nice and helpful. The place is clean and close to everything and the breakfast it's awesome!!! We really loved stay there.

• 11th Apr 2015

I have stayed at HI-DC before and one of the staff at the kitchen floor is still there! His name is John. I was surprised that he remembered me! He did his usual signature, "Tell me good morning in your language." I gave him at least 4 languages! He's such a talented guy, caring, and so welcoming! - thank you! HI-DC should definitely shift him to HI's around the US to share his personable personality! Also, my stay at the all female room were comfortable, clean, and so as the restrooms.

Great staff, and amenities. I'd actually would have stayed there longer if I knew how it would be.

• 11th Apr 2015
  • Israel

Pros: 10 Minutes Walk from the White House, 5 mins from Ford s Theatre. Fantastic location. Facilities very new, sofas, great kitchen, best breakfast I've had in a Hostel. Had my own light and plug an mini shelf all in one unit which I thought was brilliant. Lockers big enough for your luggage and bathroom/showers areas really great. Cons: At the particular time I was there, there was a lot of school groups etc. which probably added to the lack atmosphere. very 'keep to yourself' I felt

• 3rd Apr 2015

Great hostel, just need to get rid of the system where you have to pay to put stuff in lockers after you check out,

The air conditioning unit in room 304 is ridiculously loud. We were woken on several occasions during the night because of it. The lady at reception didn't bother to ask how our stay was when we checked out, so we didn't report it.

• 18th Mar 2015

The location of the hostel is superb - walking distance from most attractions in DC. Staff were nice and breakfast is provided for free so that's great! Only thing is that my room was so cold and there weren't enough blankets so I froze quite a bit during my stay. There was also a weird smell in my room one morning. However, good vibes overall!

The staff are very nice and friendly, and I loved the size of the bedroom.

This place is fantastic, well located, close to everything, The late night desk lady was absolutely polite and fun. I will recomend to all my friends.

location was perfect!

• 25th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

I enjoyed my stay in Washington's HI Hostel. Very nice staff, many things are included. The only thing I didn't find so good is that air condition was not controllable. Every 20 min. AC is heating the room fully for one minute, even at night.

• 25th Feb 2015

I was really disappointed with my stay in HI DC Hostel this time due to missing closed library or room for study or work. That is why I failed my exams. Previously you had small one, but you've already removed it to an open area. To have at least one closed room I think is the main factor in hosteling. Then bed light was not working. Also water taps is the way for spreading out bacteria and getting people to be infected with deceases. I would highly recommend you change this taps for other types

Great hostel, friendly staff, clean rooms and safe! Location not too far from the Mall. Just the bathrooms were not my favourites : showers only separated by curtains, toilets were very American (large bottom gap and side gaps). I prefer more privacy. However, I would surely stay here again!

Really good hostel however feels a little like a hotel, hasn't got the most homely atmosphere but if that's not what your looking for it is great, value, has a brilliant location and the staff are really friendly and helpful x

• 15th Feb 2015

Very cold in the rooms-not possible to control temperature in the room. We reserved double bed but got bunk bed. Elevator was not working we need to walk to the 8th floor. Tap in the bathroom was useless. Staff was nice and location is good. It would be good idea to extend breakfast time.

• 4th Feb 2015
  • Slovenia

This was my FIRST time in a hostel much to the demise of my mother's state of mind. HOSTELS ALL THE WAY! As long as I find one as fun and energetic, clean, well equipped, patience, and personalized as this HI Washington. The desk staff was patient and kind as I asked so many questions, Breakfast John was FREAKING AMAZING, the people I met were understanding and animated and I almost considered my time in the hostel the vacation instead of the actual city! Highly Recommended

• 30th Jan 2015