HI - Washington DC Hostel Reviews

1009 11th Street, NW Washington, Washington DC, USA

Great location - within walking distance to most museums and monuments etc. Beds comfortable enough, and clean. Hot water was variable but not stone cold.Free breakfast was pretty good considering.. toast, cereal, yoghurt, bagels, orange juice and coffee.. Temporarily lost my phone while there and girl on front desk was of absolutely no help at all when I inquired about whereabouts but rest of the staff I dealt with were more than helpful throughout rest of the stay.

I found the staff to be completely un interested in helping a single traveler. No help and seemed like they disliked their jobs and life...

Most of the assistants are good. But one woman is really arrogant! She shows discrimination! Even if she is black n

I received a warm welcome at the arrival, and a huge plan with all the activities for the weekend and during the week. They offered a lot of free things to do, and had some bananas or snacks to go. I stayed in a 10 bed room dorm, but the room was divided through walls into 3 or 4 separate corners. It sure is one of the best hostels (y)

Not the best HI hostel I've stayed at in America, but very good. Good location (although a lot of street noise at night), staff on the whole are great, breakfast sets you up for the day. More could be done to give hostellers some privacy and I think some specific bar crawl events would help to give a more social atmosphere, but, on the whole, a good hostel manned by good staff.

I loved the location of the hostel and its proximity to all the major monuments and attractions. The hostel provided a walking tour of the capital building and the surrounding area. I really enjoyed that.

• 29th Oct 2014

Everything you could want in a hostel. Clean, secure, excellent location. Staff were friendly and organised a free halloween meal which was an excellent ice breaker. All dc main sights / shops / bars are within walking distance. Staff weren't esp knowledgeable with local attactions when we asked but this is a very minor gripe.

It was a nice Hostel to come back to each night after being out all day exploring your great Capital.

They were very friendly and helpful. The heat needs to be turned off/down at night (late October)...there are plenty of bodies to heat up the rooms!

• 25th Oct 2014

The best kitchen/dining area I've seen in a while! The free breakfast is great! All that's missing is some protein 😃 Great hostel, can't wait to visit again. I really enjoyed walking to The White House, Washington Monument and all the major attractions nearby.

L'o a senior, I have stayed in hundred of places, this hostel is incomparable, good welcome, good location, best value. Marc

Actually I did hurt my arm by tripping up a very small step on the outside of the building before you walk down the steps to the footpath. They were not in the least bit interested. it is a 2inch step with some white paint would be a good idea. The staff did not know much about Bus or Train details the DC maps are basically hopeless. However the staff were kind even if not aware of what we may need in the information. John was good at Breakfast to make people speak to each other. Jean

The facilities are really fabulous! The only one thing to improve is the carpet in the room need to be clean cuz smell like my brother's socks.

• 14th Oct 2014
  • Taiwan

I had a good stay. I did not enjoy that the bathrooms were dark and that some toilets were broken. The staff were excellent; they allowed me to change my bed number without a problem, and the breakfast attendant was an awesome man, full of life! The bed was OK, the room stayed quiet (it was very noisy last time), and I liked that there was an outlet near the bed. The room also got plenty of natural sunlight.

Like most HI hostels, well designed - bed light w/power plugs and shelf, 10 bed dorms designed for reasonable amount of privacy, commercial-style kitchen. Soap/paper towels/towels/shampoo included. Extremely clean. Laundry only $1 to wash & $1 to dry. Like most HI, not super social atmosphere. Main downsides: luggage storage consists of lockers for $4 (seems a lot) and internet very slow in the evening (presumably when lots of people are on it) making it, at times, basically unusable! Recommend!

Quit hot in the room The facilities a little old

This place was a great start to my trip. The breakfast is great and being around John first thing in the morning will put a smile on anyone's face. Good location, about 20 min walk from the Mall. There was only one staff member who wasn't helpful and a little rude but all the others are awesome. Beds are squeaky but pretty comfy. I had a lot of street noise, my bed was next to a window on the 5th floor and I woke everyday at 5.30am. Tip: take the stairs, the lift is really slow!!

Perfect location, nice free activities everyday and a good breakfast. The ony problem is that the lockers aren't so big and sometimes the door doesn't close and anyone can go to your room, but luckly nothing happend while i was there!

We had an unpleasant incident at Hi Hostels. We left behind a pair of boots and instead of the staff being helpful and returning it to us, it was quite confusing and troublesome. We eventually said that we would have to call the police to help us get the boots back and all of a sudden the boots reappeared.

• 26th Sep 2014

A very enjoyable stay. Helpful and friendly staff made our stay comfortable and relaxing.

View all Washington DC Hostels