Hacienda del Sol Reviews

Calle 2 Nte Mz 228 LT 6 Y 7, Entre Av 120 Y 125 Nte, Col Ejido, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

It's sort of like living in someone's house where your not really invited but the owner puts up with you! One toilet/shower for the whole hostel but they do huge tv with endless moves to relieve you instead. Can't bring your own beers but he will provide them there for more than the store rate. And 30 minute walk to town.

Awesome! Stayed here twice. Love the local vibe. Easy and cheap bus system.

very nice american host.Its a little far away from the beach and the center, but with the colectivo only 5Pesos and a 5min ride. With the bike its a save and good connection as well, they have bike for you to borrow for free, thats great :) in the evening there is a restaurant next door that is playing loud music, but they turn off the music early, so no troubles sleeping! We would defenitly recommend this place!!

Marcus who owns the hostel makes it - he is really attentive

Really nice place and a break from downtown playa. It is straight up Juarez to the stadium landmark. You really can't miss it with bus or cooperative.

We had a great time at Hacienda del Sol! The staff is extremely friendly at the atmosphere is very nice. We would definitely stay here again and recommend this hostel.

• 5th Jan 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at Hacienda del Sol. It's the ideal place to stay for those who sometimes like to escape from the busy downtown of Playa del Carmen. However, the beach and the pedestrian zone can be easily reached either by bike (which is provided for free at the hostel) or by colectivo (MXN 5) in 10 minutes. The kitchen is excellently equipped, you'll find pretty much everything you need and maybe you'll even have the opportunity to join in one of Marcus' barbecues! Highly recommended!

Only thing I can complain about is the mattress. I could feel the springs are touching my ribs :/ Other than that, it is a great hostel.

Friendly and informative staff! A breath of fresh air from the touristy center of Playa del Carmen and very accessible! Ride a free bike from the hostel downtown, take a collectivo (5 pesos) or ride a bus (10 pesos)! Hop in the pool or relax under the palapa's with a beer, pop, or water that's for sale at the hostel!

One of the friendliest hostels I've ever stayed at! I stayed during Christmas, and Marcus and the staff cooked a huge (delicious) Christmas barbecue and we played with a piñata afterwards. The common areas were very comfortable, and the pool is very well maintained. It's not right on the main avenue, but getting to downtown is very convenient; I caught colectivos into town for 5 pesos (about 30 US cents).

LOVED IT!! The hostel is not in the hotel zone near the beach. But if you are looking to have a break from the crowds, the street sellers and the party scene, this really is a good thing. Walk to downtown in 30 minutes Ride one of the free bikes in 10-15 mins Collectivo only 5 pesos. Pool, dorms, bathrooms and kitchens were clean and well equipped. Beds slightly worn but still comfy. The residential area that it is situated in is safe and cheap. Staff are great! My second home in MX :)

This place is a little bizarre. We knew ahead of time, but it is on the very edge of town and on a very dingy looking street. The owner appears to be in the process of selling it. Facilities provided were fine but you would be better off spending a tiny bit more and staying somewhere more central. Owner made some very rude comments about other guests.

Very nice hostel! I made a lot of friends in there. Very calm and confortable. I could return!

Hostel was in a shambles when I was there!

loved staying here was a great atmosphere, our host Manuela was very informative and a great caring host, we ended up staying longer there because of this hostels location and people that were there at the time, very friendly bunch. free bike rental, small charge for washing , has a great pool and close to shops, 45 mins walk to a cenote , and 10 mins away from beach and main street of playa . hopefully run into you again Manuella , Justin and Amanda

+awesome internet connection + manuela was very nice + barbeque was fun + generally clean - location - price for the ubication was to high

Really liked this hostel. Very clean, and the owner encourages a friendly sociable environment. Most people mark location down here but to me it was a plus: you get to see a real suburb away from the Americanised centre, and there are some great cheap food places nearby! This will be one of the best hostels on my 6 month trip, of that I am sure. All the best Manuela! Peter

Hola Thank you for the review, I was sad to see you go, all the best and safe travel. Manuela

This was my first experience using a hostel, and loved my time there, but have nothing to compare it too. I loved that this hostel was in the rural part of Playa and yet only a 15 walk into the main strip. I met some awesome people and went on lots of great adventures. I felt safe in the neighborhood at all times of the day and night. The Hostel's pool was enjoyed many times.

• 29th Oct 2014

This is one of the best hostel i've been to! Manuela is just awesome, she is nice, friendly and very helpful!

Hola it was lovely for me to meet you guys, great to meet up with some experienced travellers. Wishing you all the best for your continuing journey.

Although the welcome was great, we found that this place has no good atmosphere and overbearing owner who would rather sit around drinking and complaining about bills and bad guests than working to make this hostel as fantastic as it could be. Not that clean, and the rooms are very stuffy. Pros: pool is nice, free bikes to get to the beach are good, but overall wouldn't recommend.

Sorry you didnt like the owner who had some very very bad experiences recently and needed to vent, would have been nice te o have a sympathetic ear instead of a bad review. Owners are people too. Why did you come back a second time then? I provide free drinks on Monday night (only time I drink by the way), I also put on a BBQ and a Pizza night to create a good vibe, its hard when guests prefer to sit in their rooms with their laptops.

View all Playa del Carmen Hostels