Hak's House Hostel Reviews

Wat Chok Road, Next to build bright university,Vihear Jen Village, Siem Reap, Cambodia

My reservation was not received and there was no private room available when I arrived. My email about airport pickup was not received either. So there is a lot of room for improvement in the digital communications area. I spent the first night in a dorm, where the sink was blocked.

We were happy with the hostel until I looked up my receipt on the bus to Phnom Pehn and notice that I was charged 2$ for a breakfast that I didn't have (i stayed in a dorm the first night) and this even though the clerk asked me if I had it. We felt quite cheated.

When I got to Hak's House I was told that they didn't have any private rooms free (which is what I booked in advance), only dorms, and so they were moving me to their family guesthouse, I Win Villa. From reading other reviews on here I can see that they do this regularly. In my opinion, regardless of whether or not the alternative is acceptable (it was OK but my room was hot and stuffy and very dark, with only one very low watt light bulb), it is not fair to treat customers in this way.

Hak was the most courteous of the staff, being the owner, but the rest of the staff were not very helpful nor friendly. I hired a tuk tuk driver through the hostel for Angkor wat and he was very unpleasant and told us we would not have the whole day at Angkor as promised by Hak. The area is a bit sketchy at night - about a 20 min walk to pub street. The dorms are very cramped but quite clean. They do make fantastic mango smoothies... And they have an awesome selection of movies and shows.

Little too far of a walk to the markets and Pub Street (15 minutes which isn't bad) Being that there were dogs everywhere, a group of us were walking back late at night a little on edge. Also, there's a little river you pass by that isn't very appealing to the eyes or nose. The value is awesome, Hak is so nice and helpful. Rooms are cozy with a nice bathroom. Nice common area out front. The last morning at 6am on, I was awakened by extremely loud, banging music from a restaurant 2 doors up.

Great place. Great staff. Great stay

Hak is amazing! But his staff lack morals and training. Most of them are completely ignorant and rude to the guests. The 6 bed dorm was okay but the walls seriously need to be cleaned.

Unfortunately, the accommodations were full so we stayed at a I Win Hostel. Which was not a win, our aircon didn't work. However, we did all our bookings and had our breakfast as Haks House Hostel. I think it would have been really good if we had actually stayed there. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and spoke really good english! Not a far walk to the markets, and only a 2$ TukTuk back.

Great place - bit far from town and walking home at night doesn't always feel safe. But lovely staff, decent atmosphere, great breakfast.. All at a good price!!

Hak was extremely helpful in giving us advice on what to do, how much things were and organizing our trip to Angkor Wat. Being picked up from the airport on arrival was a huge bonus and made us feel right at home.

The owner was so resourceful. We could order good food, book pretty much anything Siem Reap has to offer including shows, Tuk tuk driver to show u around angkor wat for a good price. and we could book bus/van trips to Bangkok for 10 usd direct. Though the trip was a bit lengthy and the driver was scary.

Great option for those on a budget, although their privates are also nice and affordable. Their city bikes were very good and Hak helps broke the cheapest tuk-tuk rides in town. Location a bit off, but just a couple of minutes by bicycle (and closest to the Jazz Boat, best bar around, not crappy as Pub St's). I just wished they haven't removed the hammock!

Never pick me up at the airport. When i arrived i asked and told me driver was at the airport. The next day heard phone call and he was saying exact same thing to people at the airport they call 3 times to be pick up. They won't let you extend your stay if you are not buying things at their restaurant. Pretty far away from town and temples.

Nice place and good staff !! I will come back again

• 24th Jan 2015

Booked a private room but was switched to a dorm. Felt a little bombarded by the front desk with questions about where I was going when I was going out for a walk. No hot water. Only stayed one night due to all this.

Mr. Hok was extremely pleasant and helpful. Don't be apprehensive it is really only a short walk from pub street and the night market.

Nice atmosphere in the lobby. Breakfast is only included for private rooms not for dorms, but can be purchased for 2$ including a drink. Dorm is really small and matrazes not very comfortable, but ok.

Good value for money but a little far from the town centre. Overall reasonably clean but nothing jumped out as special about this hostel.

Nice hostel. I didn't expect such a mice hostel for that amount of money. You can book a tuk tuk here for a fair price, however be aware of their tuk tuk drivers when you go somehere else! they charge you more. One of them drove me to the bus station instead of the bus office (where the bus starts) because it was further and he charged me more money than the usual rate.

Really great stay at Hak's House. Hak arranged a driver to pick us up and helped arranged bus tickets to Bangkok. He was one of the most helpful people we have met along the way.