Halifax Backpackers Reviews

2193 Gottingen Street, Halifax, Canada

Stay in the other hostel in town if you can. This one kept over booking, had people sleeping on couches. Power outlets are hard to find. Lots of junkies in the area. The attached Cafe is decent though.

Had a great stay at the Backpackers while searching for a place to live in Halifax (10 nights in total!). By far the most enjoyable stay I've had in a hostel! The staff were great, especially Steph, the night manager, and the rooms were comfortable and clean. The kitchen was well equipped and the Sunday barbecue was delicious. The hostel is conveniently located, only a short walk to Downtown Halifax. I would definitely recommend it!

• 21st Aug 2014

This hostel was in an area that crackheads seemed to hang around all day. The hostel itself was decent, but had nothing to write home about.

The staff were amazing, super friendly. Fun atmosphere, everybody who stayed there were respectful of the quiet times. The pub crawls were sweet, same with ultimate frisbee, it was cool to meet up with the other hostel every now and again, made it easy to meet lots of other travellers. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 11th Aug 2014

Great staff and it is right in the middle of all the great attractions in Halifax. I highly recommend staying at this hostel.

• 9th Aug 2014

The Halifax Backpackers Hostel felt so much like home that I did not want to return to my own. The staff is phenomenal, the other visitors are full of interesting stories, and the events that the hostel organizes are fun and make the stay in Halifax something to remember. The location is close to everything one may need, and minutes away from the downtown nightlife. Everything was very clean, and the hostel itself is just very, very cute and cozy. I would recommend the hostel for anybody.

• 9th Aug 2014

Had an excellent time! Steph was awesome. She took the hostel out for a super fun pub crawl. Met a whole bunch of great people as well. :). Nice cafe/bar downstairs as well

Probably the unfriendliest hostel I have ever stayed at. Furthermore, I was clearly quoted in my email contifrmation by Hotelworld. com Amount Due On Arrival: CA$46.15 According to the Girl at the hostel this was excluding ta.x Sorry but if hostels all over the world are able to quote hotel and hostel prices INCLUDING tax surely this hostel can do the same. I did not appreciate having to pay another $6-7 on top. No breakast included and a coffee that cost $4.25? Not value for money at all.

Other people have commented that the neighborhood was sketchy. This simply isn't true. Yes it is in a lower income area, but it is not sketchy whatsoever! It is exactly the type of neighborhood you would expect a hostel to be in. The staff is simply amazing! And the owner is really cool (she made me a smoothy even though they are not on the menu anymore!)

• 1st Aug 2014

I very much liked my stay at this Hostel, the staff was fun to talk to and always around if you needed help. the location was just a 10min walk to downtown and close to two grocery stores along with two liquor stores and one local brewery. I would definitely recommend this hostel if you want to stay in Halifax.

This is a great little hostel. Myself and a friend stayed there for a three days in total, $25 a night, hard to beat. The cafe downstairs does a serious coffee and there's a good mix of travelers and locals there by day. Also, pints of the local beer there for a decent price. The staff are friendly and helpful which adds to the vibe of the place. I'm looking for something negative to say just to balance the review but there's nothing really worth talking about. Great spot to spend some time.

• 12th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This hostel has fantastic staff and a great atmosphere - however, it is in definite need of some renovations and cleaning. The upstairs bathrooms had no water pressure (it took me 15 minutes to wash the soap out of my hair), the lockers in the rooms were basically non-functional, and nothing seemed very clean. Also, it was so incredibly hot and humid that we could barely sleep. And I would very much suggest replacing those old, metal bunk beds - I got stuck with one and was very jealous.