Halifax Backpackers Reviews

2193 Gottingen Street, Halifax, Canada

I very much liked my stay at this Hostel, the staff was fun to talk to and always around if you needed help. the location was just a 10min walk to downtown and close to two grocery stores along with two liquor stores and one local brewery. I would definitely recommend this hostel if you want to stay in Halifax.

This is a great little hostel. Myself and a friend stayed there for a three days in total, $25 a night, hard to beat. The cafe downstairs does a serious coffee and there's a good mix of travelers and locals there by day. Also, pints of the local beer there for a decent price. The staff are friendly and helpful which adds to the vibe of the place. I'm looking for something negative to say just to balance the review but there's nothing really worth talking about. Great spot to spend some time.

• 12th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This hostel is not for everyone. It's in the most dangerous and scummy part of town, smells like marajuana, and has unbelievably loud beer parties on the main floor until 2 am on the weekends. My newly met roommates from England and France and I left running to the HI hostel after my second night. I wish I had known about the neighborhood and atmosphere before. All the locals I met avoid that street with fear. The staff is nice and it's close to the farmers market and lots of things.

• 19th Jun 2014

For the price I paid, the amenities were okay, but just okay. Place was fairly clean but some things could be updated, new linens being one. There were mice in my room and in the kitchen which was a little unsettling. The coffee from the cafe downstairs was great and despite the area having not a great reputation from Haligonians, I felt safe as a single female to walk into downtown Halifax. The location was pretty good, close walk from the airport bus drop off and downtown (10 mins).

• 6th Mar 2014