Hanmer Backpackers Reviews

41 Conical Hill Road, Hanmer Springs, Hanmer Springs, New Zealand

This is the best hostel I have stayed at. The shared facilities are terrific and the dining area cosy with a real wood burning fireplace that makes coming back from a days hiking or lazing around in the hot springs a real treat. The hosts are great with local knowledge and on occasion bake scons to share with their guests. You feel more like a friend staying for a couple of days than a paying guest. Going to Hanmar Springs? Stay here.

Really cosy backpacker with really warm people to welcome us

• 19th Jul 2014

This was the best hostel I have ever stayed in! It was such a welcoming home-like atmosphere with a cabin feel, warm fire, and friendly owner. The facilities were exceptionally clean and the location was perfect.

• 19th Jun 2014

Thank you for your great review. We realy appreciate that you think we're the best hostel you've ever been! Kind Regards, Tristan and Yoko

best hostel we have stayed in for a long time, we have visited twice now, and are sure to return.

• 13th Jun 2014

Thanks for the good feedback. We're looking forward to the 3rd time!

Absolutely awesome! The best backpackers I've ever seen! Very comfortable, very friendly staff, very clean ... I would give 6 Stars if I could! Stayed there for just two nights but felt home from the first minute :) A small hut just 2 minutes from Hanmer and from the pools. Relaxing at this warm place after long walks and visiting the Pools is the best you can do in Hanmer!

• 10th Jun 2014

Thanks for the great comment, we're happy you enjoyed your stay at our little backpackers!

I loved this hostel!!! I really have to come back :)

• 20th May 2014

And we loved having you here, come back!

I always enjoy my stays at Hanmer Backpackers. Prehaps the ensuite bathroom could do with some heating.

This small hostel was cozy. Loved the massage chair. Dislike they didn't provide hand wash at toilets.

Thank you for your kind feedback. Usually we do provide hand soap in our bathrooms. Unfortunately (due to poor logistics on my side) we did run out for a couple of days. Right now it is back in place. Hope to see you next time.

Excellent accommodation and very relaxed. The owner is so friendly and he actually dried and folded our wet washing when we went out!! On arrival a guest provided us with blackberry tarts for afternoon tea and for our evening sweets a blackberry (picked locally). Kitchen has everything that you could possibly need. Great location and we could have stayed longer. The best packpackers accommodation we have stayed in in New Zealand! Excellent value too.

• 11th Apr 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Thanks a lot for your great review, we're happy you rated us as the best backpackers in NZ. Kind Regards Tristan, Yoko and Aymeric (French blackberry guy!)

Wonderful little hostel with very friendly and helpful manager. Free plunger coffee and spices for the cooking supplied! A hostel guest (French) cooked and shared a wild blackberry tart with all the guests. All at a reasonable price. Superb!

• 5th Apr 2014