Hanoi Backpackers Hostel - Downtown Reviews

9 Ma May, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Hanoi, Vietnam

loved this place, great atmosphere and staff are excellent!

The hostel and the staff are good, it's just a shame about hanoi. There's not much to do other than the trips to halong bay and sapa. Plus my friend had her passport and wallet stolen in the street. Be careful.

Great location with lots of restaurant, shopping and travel agencies on the same street! Great for a solo traveller (like me) as I was able to be social and mingle or be alone if I wanted to. They also organize a lot of trips (Sapa Valley is a must!). The only downside was the bathroom plumbing kind of smells but that might just be the city's architecture. Would definitely recommend this hostel for no frills travellers who are looking to socialize and a budget stay.

• 1st Sep 2014

This is a party hostel. If that's what you're looking for, you won't find anything better. If you're looking for a smaller, quieter hostel. Look elsewhere. Otherwise, the staff is good and the facilities are nice. The beds were very comfortable.

The only thing letting this place down is the staff. Some are fantastic, but others are just downright rude and unhelpful. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

worth a stay if you wanna party and meet anyone backpacking in hanoi

We had an excellent stay here. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel welcome and helped us with an immediate problem we had. The rooms we stayed in were clean and spacious and each bed had a large locker. The atmosphere is great - definitely a party hostel. We'd stay here again!

The hostel is definitely more of a lively, party place, which is what I wanted. It was easy to meet people with nightly happy hours, a pub quiz on Wednesday, and a variety of different tours, from short morning walking tours of the area to long, crazy tours of different parts of Vietnam. It might not be the place for you if you just want to relax, because the dorm rooms can have guests coming in at all hours of the night due to the nightly pub crawl. Overall, a fun place to stay. Good staff.

• 18th Aug 2014

Amazing hostel. Clean, cheap, safe, great area, easy to meet people, easy to book things like Castaway/ Sapa, etc through them. Staff were great. Very party atmosphere- don't come if you're looking for a quiet stay

Situated in the old quarter, providing easy access to food, shopping and entertainment. Very clean, and cool, but can be noisy if you're staying on the second floor while they're having a party on the ground floor. The doors to my "locker" didn't fully lock/close, so I kind of just had to hope they would hold if someone tried to open them. Easy to book excursions through the hostel and easy to meet others as well. Would stay again and would recommend to other travelers.

Fun party hostel, pretty clean and good aircone rooms. The main downfall is th staff are not very helpful in helping with travel advice if it isn't regarding their tours. One morning I asked how to get to the train station and which bus was best to get to a certain place and she wouldn't help me.

Amazing hostel good location and the castaway tour they do is amazing. The staff are all amazing as well. Best hostel I've been in the whloe time I've been away

One of our favourite hostels of our travels. Great location and security but the best thing about it would have to be the atmosphere. Joining the bar crawl, at least for a time, is probably the best way to go out in Hanoi. I would recommend it to those who want to enjoy the backpackers experience, but maybe not to those who value 8 hours of undisturbed sleep a night because people will either be back late from a night out or up early for the boat trip. All in all, had a great stay.

Great location and good for you if you want to party. It's a super big hostel which sometimes makes things a little cliquey so of you are traveling by yourself, that's not always the best thing. But hey, maybe it was just the day I was there. Free walking tour every morning and free breakfast. Nice, comfy beds and clean bathrooms. I would stay here again probably.

Awesome hostel to meet people & the atmosphere in the bar was f**king great!Not to mention the absolutely amazing tours (we did Castaways to Halong Bay which I would say is worth paying the extra for, compared to other tour places, and to Mai Chau which was great too!)Dorms were basic but very comfortable & clean, & had massive lockers!Staff were really friendly and helpful, although it seemed mistakes were frequent, probably because it was always so so busy! This was the ONLY downfall!

This is a great place to stay, fantastic value for money and it has a great security - you even get a free locker for your suitcase! While I'd highly recommend staying here one thing to bear in mind is that most of the guests seem to be very young (18 or so) and are VERY into drinking. Not for an older crowd.

Well-kept facilities and good location. Very party-oriented atmosphere. Good free walking tour. Poor wifi.

Pretty over rated to be honest, booked a private room and it was way over priced! Safe didn't work, tv didn't work bed was uncomfy, shower was really good. It was a decent room just not what you expect for the money. We moved to a differnt place with a better room at less than half the price just. It's too chaotic at the travel desk and reception if you do have a problem!! Breakfast was very good!! Personally wouldn't stay again, I'd stay else where and maybe just visit the bar/club.

Great hostel with a party atmosphere and always some deal on for drink!!

• 28th Jul 2014

If one is seeking to secure a sure source of social interaction in addition to drinking, i can't imagine a better location. Obviously, with that said, this location attracts a much younger crowd. Despite only being 24, i felt as if i was one of the older guests. Plus, much like the name of the hostel suggests, this is a, "Backpacker" hostel with some Vietnamese staff and many non-Vietnamese staff; which means that if you're looking for an authentic Vietnamese lodging experience, look elsewhere.

• 27th Jul 2014