Hanoi Backpackers Hostel - Downtown Reviews

9 Ma May, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Hanoi, Vietnam

This is the perfect place to meet a whole load of like minded backpackers. Even if you're not staying here I'd highly recommend coming to the bar in the evenings. My only slight negative is the price of the tours they offer - at over $200 the castaway tour just isn't a viable option for backpackers travelling for a long time.

Overall great. Would be very helpful if the shared bathrooms had hooks or the like to hang up your clothes and towels while showering...

• 9th Dec 2013

Good hostel, lots going on. Great if you want to meet people. Would have been nice to have some activities that didn't involve drinking. Thought the tours they offer were way overpriced and the room was too expensive.

I booked one kind of room and it was given me another one with more people, not a big deal. About the staff itself, it was ok, but being a huge hostel really western style, you feel a bit of fakeness, but is not your home so I guess it's fine...but really I think that is the only choice you can have in Hanoi.

I booked for two nights and left after 1. If you want to party hard and feel like you are living in a college frat dorm, this is the place for you. Otherwise it is loud and the staff is more into the party than being helpful. Couldn't even hear what they were saying to me as I checked in. The locker under my bed didn't lock either and you had to pay a large deposit to rent a towel. Not my type of place.

Party party party. But well run, modern hostel with all you need. Great charging facilities by each bed. Very secure. Stay here if you want to meet people and party!

Had a great time at the downtown back packers the private rooms were outstanding!!! the cast away tour was even more amazing!! all in all great hostel. The staff were a bit all over the shop but still helpfull. It is a tad expensive but at the same time the rooms were awesome!

Solid place to party, always people downstairs in the main area. The original backpackers has more of a personal feel to it, and a better happy hour as it starts the bar crawl to the downtown hostel eventually. If I were to do it again I'd stay at the original and just party at the downtown.

The guests has to except the fact that this is a party hostel with mindless backpackers who care for nothing else but drinking and hanging out with the opposite gender. The hostel is extremely loud and the smoke from outside is everywhere inside. The food is very good and so is the included breakfast. Yes it is cheap but the dorms are too big.

• 21st Nov 2013

We were booked into a double room - not worth $50 that they had quoted. Luckily there was a mix up with our booking meaning we were at downtown through error not choice so paid the 'original' rate. The staff pretended to be helpful, but actually had lied to us. Not cool. The atmosphere was amazing, but pretentious. So if you have brought a bag of make up, great. If you want laid back backpacker, not for you. Fair priced food

Really nice clean hostel. Free walking tour of the old quarter each morning. Helpful staff. Good food though expensive. Comfy beds (which is a rarity in hostels in south east Asia!!)

The hostel is very clean and great location. It is a BIG party hostel and if you are looking to drink all the time it is great, however if you are looking for a more calm atmosphere perhaps this isn't the best option.

One of the best places I've stayed in throughout the world! Castaways tour is a must for everyone staying here! This place has events every night throughout the week. Live music, free beer, quiz night, bar crawls. The staff are so helpful with English speaking staff with local knowledge. Really nice and inexpensive food. I would 100% return to downtown backpackers, I really do not want to leave. EVER.

Great hostel. Very busy and mad downstairs but the rooms and new and spotless upstairs so you can get away from it if you like. it is a very social hostel.

they gave my bed twice to somebody else , thereby displacing my towel and sandals

This place is a mixed bag if you want to party this is the place. But there are lots of other places around cheaper and the bar is open to everyone. There basically isn't any air-con because they only turn it on at night in the rooms and leave it at 26 degrees when the outside temperature is cooler then that not much point in the air-con. The sercurity on the face of it is very good with electronic locks to get from the bar to the rooms above but as they leave the door to the fire exit open?

1 2 3 4 Next » last »