Happy Backpackers Hostel Reviews

29 Hang Mam Street, Hoankiem, Hanoi, Vietnam

Even though the hostel is located in the middle of old town, the atmosphere is not very good. The booked 8 bed room turned into a 12 bed room, which is the only one available. The beds are a bit scary if you sleep on top, you feel like you're falling down any second. There is no common room and no hostel atmosphere.

Lovely little hostel and the host is so welcoming and accommodating. The beds are so comfortable and the hostel is in a good location. And it's great value for money! Would defiantly stay again.

• 12th Jul 2015

No common area so not great for meeting other travelers but the staff was great! The woman at reception helped me book all my tours and checked up on my while I was sick. She remembered everyone by name and greeted them. Good location in Old Town near lots of restaurants.

Lovely staff, bed linen clean. Storage boxes were small and the bathroom was in poor condition- great for the price though!

• 16th May 2015

Comfiest bed in Vietnam! But we had troubles with water, first day no water in the whole building, next day we had to take shower in another room. Breakfast not very good, but unlimited coffee and tea all day long.

Decent hostel, good location. Cheap. They've got a really good A/C on the dorms, which was fantastic during midday heat..

Great location and value for money. The girl that works at reception is super nice , friendly, and helpful. She organized my Sapa and Ha long Bay tours before I even arrived since I was on a tight schedule. Both tours she booked for me were great.

• 1st May 2015

The staff in this place is very friendly. The girl at the reception is helpful and honest. We stayed in a standard private room. The blankets were the best in whole vietnam. Very clean and soft. The room is excellent for the price! Including a TV with english channels. AC was working well. The location is very central. Breakfast is standard. Not too special but you can get coffe a d tea as much as you like.

If you are doing side trips to either Sapa or Halong Bay don't book through the hostel, they charge a significantly higher price. I recommend Dao Travel Agency.

The staff is really nice and helpful, I'll recommend also for the value of the money...

• 10th Apr 2015

Great location right in the heart of old town. The room smelt quite badly of drains and it wasn't the cleanest. Unfortunately, despite booking another night while we were there, on return from halong bay, they had given it away and we had to go elsewhere.

This hostel didn't make me happy at all. I don't know about the private rooms (maybe that's what makes the overall rating high), but the dorm sucked. We had to share 1 bathroom with 12 people, no extra toilet outside or anything. Bathroom was moldy, old, smelly and dirty. Beds are really narrow and the top bunkbed is very high without a rail on both sides. I found the sheets dirty. However, the location is very good and the staff is really nice. I moved to the Boxhotel after 1 night (same price)

I'm very disappointed w/th this hostel.The room is not like the picture It looks so old n disgusting. the first floor rest room is so smelly and..just gross. I booked a 8 beds mixed but then they put me in a 12 beds mixed dorm.Ok that's the room. The only thing was good is the internet I have nothin to complain coz the wifi is very fast. The receptionist is just so rude. She never gave me a smile or said Hi to me, even when I left she never said GOODBYE THANK YOU GUEST. Maybe coz Im vietnamese?

• 25th Mar 2015
  • Vietnam

This hostel was a bit hard to find as they had changed the name and only had a small 'Happy Backpackers' sign underneath. Not the typical hostel atmosphere as it is mostly private rooms with dorms on one floor. Pretty decent location in the old quarter though and the staff were some of the happiest I've seen in Vietnam.

For start I book a 8 share bedroom and I had a 12 one instead. The picture of the bedroom are totally different of the real bedroom look like , the bathroom was pretty disgusting even if they clean it every morning. The stuff was nice even if they charge you more than the other place for the tour in sapa and halong bay. For five dollar you can't expect a castle but in general I didn't like it.

Standard double room with all basic facilities: AC, shower, toilet, mini fridge. Half of the time the warm water didn't work, and there was no water at all on two evenings/nights. The room was not cleaned even once in 4 days. The cards to open the room door also worked on other rooms. There is no common space for chilling, just a small corner behind reception for a PC.

We stayed here for 3 nights in total, before and after we were in Halong Bay. The hotel is located right in the centre of the old quarter and is within walking distance to just about everywhere. Although our room smelt a little damp, we slept just fine. The staff are very friendly and are always willing to help you. I would recommend staying here but I would say don't bother booking a room with breakfast included as what you get won't keep you full for very long.

The staff were incredible at Happy Backpackers, helpful and went above and beyond to make things easy for us. The room we stayed in was clean however it had a terrible mould problem and the bathroom smelled awful. We had to constantly leave the window open because of it. Hate to complain but have to be honest. Great location but you can get nicer rooms elsewhere for similar price.

A hotel with one floor converted to hostel. No common area. Breakfast not included if you stay in dorm. Good location. A place to stay if you just want a clean and quiet place, not a party hostel full of 20 years olds.

Great location in Hanoi, you can walk to anything and alot of shops and streetfood near you. The staff is really awesome and helpfull. Khiem and David helped us booking our trip to halong and sapa for a good price. They also provided us with a room at 3am, when we came back from Sapa. Khiem is sleeping in the reception at night. The beds are good and there are alot of safelocks, so it feels safe