Happy Dragon Courtyard Reviews

No51,Dongsi Jiutiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing, China

Staff is very helpful. Hostel is clean and in good location. I like the vintage atmosphere of the alley. The only downsides are slow internet connection and only 2 shower rooms.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

Happy Dragon Courtyard was a great stay! Awesome staff who were extremely helpful and laidback. Good atmosphere and value for money. 3 friends and I stayed in the 4 bed dorm with no complaints, public showers/bathrooms were clean with soap/shampoo and we got a free towel to use. Only downside was lack of street food near by, but very close to Metro station line 5. Would recommend.

• 5th Apr 2014

Only stayed one night but thought this was a fantastic little hostel. Arrived very late at like 02:00 but the girl on reception was very welcoming and showed me to my room. Beds fine, decent shower although had to let it run for a good five minutes before the water finally stopped being ice cold! Lockers available, nice little cafe (slightly pricey), free wifi, luggage storage (I left mine over 10 hours after checking out, no problem!) and a nice feel to the place. Location is also excellent!

Overall it's great. Staff is very friendly. Also, the hostel's architecture and courtyard itself is beautiful. And a solid location, 4 mins walk from a central subway stop. The Wifi does not work in the rooms though; it only works in the common areas. It would be nice if it worked in the rooms. Also, there is no real door to the bathroom area; in the spring, summer or fall that's fine, but in winter I think taking a shower would be unbearably cold.

This hostel was HALF the price of others close by and the facilities SO MUCH better! Our dorm room was big and clean. The staff were GREAT. Very friendly and helpful when it came to travel information, without any pressure to join their tours. They welcomed us to join the dumpling party, which really was FREE and the perfect way to meet other travelers.

Location is very close to Subway, in heart of Beijing Hutong (old city), I rent a bike from a nearby Other Hostel branch juat 15min far, 30 RMB per day, I met so lovely guests, culture exchange. I wish to stay there longer next time to Beijing.

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Egypt

While the location is conveniently located next to one of the metro stations, the hostel itself has a few things it could improve on. The main problem was that our door lock was clearly broken and they didn't attempt to fix it. Not normally a big deal until you get locked in the room from the outside and another person gets locked out after taking a shower because the key won't work in the lock. The staff even struggled for 10 minutes trying to get our key out.

During my stay it was freezing cold outside in Beijing, but when we enter our room it was almost colder. We just had an air conditioner to heat our room. As you can guess this didn't work pretty well.When we asked the Hostel stuff if we could get a heater they just looked a little unhappy and said "maybe...not?".Well, yeah, thanks for that.The bathroom itself was ok, but to take a shower meant the same as to get boiled or get a cold. So I really can't recommend a stay at the hostel during winter

A nice hostel, staff friendly and helpful and the hotel's pretty clean with spacious rooms. Super convenient as it's 5 mins walk from a metro station. I wouldn't recommend staying in the communal bathroom rooms in winter though as the toilets and showers are located on a corridor leading to the courtyard, and are the same air temperature as the outside. FREEZING! Other than that I would recommend it.

The directions on the website are spot on, couple of decent convenience stores close by. The staff are very helpful and friendly :) no wifi in our room but plenty in the lovely warm bar where they always have music and tele. Not allowed to eat your own food in there bar which is fair enough as they provide food, they did generously fill up our big tubs of noodles. Anywhere near the subway is ideal. Their sister hostel "Happy Dragon Hostel" is even better! P.S. train to Badaling is 6 yuan!

• 6th Jan 2014

Very cold.

• 2nd Jan 2014
  • South Korea

The rooms were really clean and well maintained. The location of the hostel was awesome as there were many places of attraction nearby and was considerably near to the airport as compared to other hostels. It was also located in "Hutong" one of the ancient significance in Beijing. I went on New year's eve but there was no countdown party though. I went over to the sister outlet which is just across the street for the party.

Nice staff, cozy café(but ridiculously expensive prices) , and tooooo cold!! It was freaking cold the entire time, heater didn't work. There is no TV-room, no computers and several other things that were in the description were not there. Very dissapointing.

Coming from Australia, and having traveled to other places in Asia, I was a little bit apprehensive about hostels in China. The Happy Dragon Courtyard was my first stop in China. I was extremely pleasantly surprised. This hostel is good value for money. I stayed in a twin private (with ensuite) with my sister. We checked in very late at night and their receptionist, Tony, was amazing - he was patient, friendly and helpful. I would stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Thank you so much.Hope to see you again next time when you are in Beijing!!! Have a nice day!!!

No hairdryer in the private rooms, but they solved the problem.

this is no slipper so ,what a pity

Good value for money

There was no hot water in my dorm for the two days I stayed and although the staff said they were looking into it, no action was taken. The dorms are rather spacious but thermal insulation is poor. It's one of the cheapest hostel I found in Beijing.

• 25th Nov 2013
  • Belgium

This hostel would be a great hostel in summer! As it has an open courtyard, it gets very cold there in winter. Unfortunatelly, the only heating device in the room is the air condition. In winter I would recommend staying in the Dragon Kind Hostel just down the road, which belongs together with the Happy Dragon. The tour to the great wall was great, while the tour to the Beijing Opera was totaly overprized, 20 Euro for 60 minutes Opera is too expensive, especially as you have to get back yourself

The location is very nice, just a minute away from the nearest subway station. At that station you can get the metro on line 2 (the circular round through Beijing) which is very comfortable: you are everywhere in a wink. The hostel itself is nice, there were good showers and good beds. In the bar they also serve a lot of different meals and breakfasts. Although I would recommend you to go out in the neighbourhood: enough places for good foodexperiences.