Happy Hippo International Backpackers Lodge Reviews

222 Mahatma Ghandi road, Durban Central, Durban, South Africa

Probably the most spacious and stylish hostel I've ever been. Everything and everywhere in it is so full of fancy details of decoration that touring around the place was kind of compulsory to me and friend. Loved it!

Very very funky and spacious hostel! Fantastic atmosphere. I would definitely stay there again! Staff very friendly and helpful also.

Trendy modern decor, heaps of space for relaxing and socializing, helpful staff and located near aquarium Highly recomended

Clean bathrooms more regularly. Would be useful to have more power outlets in room. One is not sufficient for a six person bunk room

Close to the beach and away from the 'dodgy' town centre.

An absolutly cool designed hostel for young travelers. Nice Rooms and clean bathrooms. The beds are ok and it is very good to party on the roof top.

• 22nd Jun 2014

My stay in this hostel was horrible!The staff was not hepful and friendly. The room was dirty and i had to ask for an other one. There were no heaters in winter season i was so cold. You have to pay for internet. There is a share bathroom open with no door and only a poor curtain.

This place looks like a factory rather than a hostel, very dark and lacks natural light, toilets and showers too far from rooms, no free wi fi at all, roof top bar ok, but drinks could be cheaper. It lacks atmosphere, quite few workers from near by countries staying for long term.

Near the beach, not many people staying in the hostel so i couldnt judge the atmosphere but safe nice rooms, wifi you have to pay.

Lacked the nice atmosphere I had at other hostels in South Africa, but this could be because it was winter. Staff seemed not so happy and friendly as in other hostels.

• 2nd Jun 2014

Staff was really helpful and approachable.

• 3rd May 2014
  • South Africa

Couldn't fault this hostel. A little pricey comparatively but the facilities and bar area are so good it's worth the extra money. We must have visited at a quiet time so wasn't the atmosphere we hoped for but could tell it would be amazing at busier periods.

Hippy Hippo was a good place to stay in. accessible to all public transport and major tourist attraction venues. the staff was very cooperative and gave information where required. It would be appreciated is the rooms could have small tv for people who wish to watch tv whilst lying down. people have different interest therefore a commune tv is not ideal. I was also not impressed by the fact that rooms are cleaned only after four days. that is soooo urgh. OTHERWISE EVERYTHING WAS FINE.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Lesotho

I was pretty happy with my stay at Happy Hippo! I only wish that they had lockers in all the shared rooms for security. I also did not like the fact that the shower curtains were see through. But the atmosphere and kitchen were great. I also thought the staff were friendly. You have to pay for internet, but it's really fast quality I thought. Will be back again!

we had double rooms with private bathroom, small but good. the streets next to happy hippo is busy, but you are in a few minutes at the beach and the marine world, thats great. Happy hippo has a good kitchen and nice roof top bar and terasse. we enjoyed our stay!

This place has no atmosphere at all. Bar closes super early and staff always seems to have an attitude about every usual question (wifi etc.). Besides that you need to pay for wifi, which is quite expensive.

We really enjoyed staying at the happy hippo. staff was really friendly and helpful. the place is huge and looks nice. rooms and kitchen were clean. it has a nice bar with open roof which is nice. the street it is on is not so nice but location is still good as you are close to the ushaka Marine center which has really nice restaurants and where the bus goes from. and when you go through it you will be at the beautiful beach. Really recommend it!

I have travelled the world...this hostel is by far the best i have ever stayed in!!!...Staff in Reception where fantastic and the cleanliness in my room and kitchen was 5 star..loved the roof top terrace and general atmosphere was so relaxing. Location is less than a slow 5 minute walk to Shark World and shops/beach...highly recommended!!...Steve, England.