Happy Hostel Reviews

Kurzgasse 2, Vienna, Austria

We arrived and had to wait an hour for someone to show up to check us in. We were then told we were "upgraded" to an apartment which I think was because we were the only ones staying there! The "apartment" was not clean and very outdated. The location is reasonable, it's inbeteen the centre of the city and the palace/zoo. Takes about half an hour to walk to the other side of the city where the amusement park is.

The hostel is good and rooms are well-equipped. The staff isn't very friendly and they don't speak proper English.

It was a big place for the price but not very clean. Staff wasn't very helpful with tourism info like most hostels are. Didn't even give us a map of the city. It's apartment style with people living there so it's not very tourist friendly. It is a very big room/ apartment for the price though!

Not very to good to meet people. The facilities were clean and is located near the Metro and a shopping area. The staff doesn't work 24h which can be a problem on the check-in or check-out. On the first day we got some information at reception with a guy who really knew the city and had a good english which helped a lot our trip. On the other hand on other day there were some people there with a really bad English or no English speaking. I'd try a different hostel in another travel to Viena.

The only thing happy about this hostel is the departure. If you want somewhere that has even an ounce of character and atmosphere, look elsewhere. Apart from the (relatively) good location - close to the train station, underground stops and 20min walk to museums quarter - this hostel doesn't have much else going for it. The rooms are very basic and there is a kitchen but it was so dirty looking I didn't even entertain the idea of cooking there. Staff are unhelpful and cold. Wouldn't recommend.

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Staff was kind and helpful! Walking to the central of the city is not too far, and connections via train is very good. The kitchen wasn't cleaned very well, and there was very few tools.

Good value for money, we like the spacious appartment.

More like a B&B than hostel. Top end of the main shopping area, about a 30 minute walk to the main tourist area. Nice place, clean, breakfasts bought in the hostel help those in need in Africa!

I am not normally one to pick on the fine details of a place, but when the bathroom has so much mould it seems to not have been cleaned since I don't even want to know when, I start to feel uneasy. I would call this place sufficient, no more, no less. I stayed here for a week and didn't feel the need to leave during that time. But it was strange to come home at 1am on my first night, turn on the living room light and find the owner sleeps on the floor there... but cheap and a good location.

Not the owner sleeps on the floor there! Just another guest took out the matress from his bed and put it on the floor of the common room. Why? He did not told us.

Spent five night at HappyHostel during the Eurovision Week and I'm definitely glad I did! Clean, cozy and easily reachable, not to mention the relative proximity to my main target (the Wiener Stadthalle arena)! Great choice if you, like me, plan on staying in the hotel just to sleep and wash up. Price was OK (but I booked fairly late and, as I said, Eurovision Week ---> whole city booked in).

• 15th May 2015

Excellent hostel, good location, Mariahilfe strasse is getting perfect pedestrian area, very pleasant to pass through.

dierties place i've ever been. i wasn't able to touch any suface or use kitchen. everything was sticky and there were hair evrywher. unpolite woman at reception. no linen in the bed, and they try to convice us that is normal (and i'm not talking about nordic bed, just linen was missing). will never go back there no wifi in the room.

• 11th Apr 2015

Toilet was broken, and it couldn't be repaired because I arrived on Friday night. The staff did offer me a different room, but not a single room like the one I had booked. My room was very spacious and it even had its own kitchen, bathroom and dining area (and even another single room within the single room! I couldn't figure out how to get hot water from my shower though.

• 10th Apr 2015

The staff was very friendly and helpful and location was right next to main metro station. The room setup with the private kitchen was nice, however it was very dirty and there was food that had been left there for some time and really made it Smell. The bathrooms were moldy as well. If cleaned thoroughly this Could be a very good hostel.