Happy Rio Copacabana Reviews

Rua Silva Castro 39, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Rooms are a little cramped, especially the one we were in that had a queen bed stuck between two twin bunk beds. Staff was extremely friendly and invited us out to a few outings. Location is close to a grocery store and many restaurants and a very short walk to the beach.

• 4th Jul 2014

Just one bathroom is a pain. Quite loud and chatty in the mornings (especially by the hostel staff). Beds to soft or frame not good, the slatted frame is pushing trough, which is aching in the morning. Everything else, except of these 3 points, are excellent.

Massive TV in the room and staff speak good english. Great location. Room wasn't cleaned in 5 days and upstairs platform is a bit untidy and not a social place - more for couples. TV was MASSIVE though and a good breakfast!

The staff is amazing, the atmosphere is great. Very recommended.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Israel

Grate hospitality and very helpful in everyway. Made excellent friends at Happy Rio, a well chosen name!

• 1st Sep 2013
  • Panama

If you stay at this hostel be aware that you're staying in a family's house who doesn't want you there, but is probably too poor to pay for the apartment by themselves, so they rent out rooms. I felt so uncomfortable staying here after being ordered around, bitched at, and glared at by the owner's girlfriend all week that I would never stay here again. There are no employees here to help you, just the people living there. They also give priority to friends they have stay there to paying guests.

Hi Ashley, me and my friends treated you with too much care. I, personally, heard you in everything you wan't. I tried to help you and to make you feel confortable in all of your stay. I was very lovely with you. Unfortunately you were very unpolite in some nights, breaking down the doors of female bathroom and other things that i don't wan't to talk here, to respect you. I'm very sad to hear that kind of thing from a people that i treated with all my respect and kindness.

The room we stayed in was too small for 6 people, and the bathroom was outside the room, which meant a lot of people passing through used it, which meant it wasn't always available to the actual residents of that room. Apart from that, excellent location and the atmosphere is very welcoming. Only some staff have English, but were very helpful in organising tours around Rio and directing us around. Happy Rio is a big welcoming family who make you feel at home. Made some great friends here.

• 3rd Jul 2013

Unfortunately, the first hostel in my life where you have to pay for taking a shower in the afternoon at the day of check-out - half of the price of one night to stay. Very annoying!

Excellent hostel. I felt like I was in a family, with one of the best staffs I ever encountered in a hostel. Everything was clean, well done, and - for what they charge - it's a great cost-benefit. I will definitely recommend Happy Rio to all my friends.

• 29th Apr 2013

Really nice hostel with very friendly (english-speaking) staff Jose Maria:) There was a small party when I arrived and they prepared some foods in the morning. Everything is very clean. The terrace is really nice and you can have a barbacue (if you want). Big lockers, good beds and great location. The common areas have wifi and are good for meeting people or just read a book. Would really recommend this hostel!!

• 27th Apr 2013

There is a family living at the hostel, we shared a dorm with two permanent residents. The room was tiny, the 8 man dorm was a 2x2 box. The bathroom wasn't greAt, the sink was calcified and there was a light that looked like it had not been cleaned in decades. The tiny toilet bin would fill up very quickly and then would not be cleaned all day. The common area was only used by the permanents, I didn't feel comfortable spending time at the hostel, we went out all day to avoid getting in the way

• 15th Feb 2013
  • Sweden

This hostel is in a good location, with good security, but is more for students. During our stay we never met anyone else backpacking. Not much of a kitchen for cooking or common area. All I all if you need a safe place in a good location, this will do the trick. Also keep your eyes peeled when looking for it for the first time as there is no signage anywhere.

So welcoming!!!one of the best hostel i´ve been to!!!!People are so friendly and we felt like home!!!!hightly reccomended!!! Just one think from the strent the isn´t any sign, so make sure u check the civical number 39!!!!

• 18th Jan 2013

The hostel was messy. When I get there during the night, there was someone sleeping in my bed. And there wasn't sheets on the bed ... I had to change it.

We really enjoyed our stay here for carnival. We were greated after a long journey with a welcome to be proud of. The location was great, just 3 blocks from Copa beach. My only small criticism were the bathrooms were not great, but then again it was carvival. And when they were cleaned they did a great job. Good toasties for breaky too. Stranges small at enterance but that wasn't near the living spaces. I would stay here again

• 17th Feb 2012

This place is much better than i thought it would be... Very simple, has nice terrace upstairs and a movie on all the time, people are nice, but not really a party place. Room was really cramped, no space to put the bags, thank god it had aircon. Great location. Its all about the people who are here. Bathrooms could have been cleaner, but were cleaned everyday. I would stay here again

worst hostel in South america. even worse than Uyuni desert hostel. 영어를 못해서 표현을 못하겠네용 아무튼 최악이었음 벌레 가득한 침대, 30년은 되어보이는 에어컨, 아침 식사로 나눠주는 샌드위치 하나와 커피 한잔. 정말 불친절한 카운터 직원, 돈 계산도 일부러 틀리게 했다가 돌아가서 따지니 겨우 미안하다며 수정하고. 아무튼 최악!.

The people that works there are very nice, but the hostel conditions was not great! I could not sleep well because the mattress is really not great. The bathroom was very small and uncomfortable.

We stayed at the Happy Rio for a weekend. The hostel is hard to find and the woman who directs it, does not speak English at all. But still it is a nice place to stay at even though you should not expect a lot of party going on. Also the breakfast is way below standard, just not enough...

The bunkbeds in the rooms were stacked 3 high, and the ladders were not safe! The rooms are tiny and only one computer works. Staff didn´t really know anything. You can do a lot better in Rio!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels