Harbourside Backpackers Reviews

1st Floor, Lot 43, Block HS-4, Harbour Square, Sandakan, Malaysia

The only thing this hostel lacks is an enthusiastic staff.

Professionally run hostel. Staff are always on hand to organise tours for guests. While I was there, everyone seemed to just sit around watching movies so there wasn't a very sociable atmosphere. Everything else was great though!

Great place to stay in Sandakan. They were quite helpful with everything as I asked a lot of questions and breakfast was above par for a hostel. Only complaint was the hostels tour of Turtle Island was far too expensive and I would have missed out on this great experience if some other traveller had not informed me to book directly through Crystal Quest (1/3 the price) instead. I can see why they dont inform you of this but its still irksome I could have missed a once in a lifetime oppportunity

Great location, very clean, spacious lounge area, helpful staff

Very clean, comfortabele beds, nice common room, good location. And very very friendly staff. They answered all my questions, helped with everything and arranged stuff for me. I would definitely stay here again!

Great place to stay. Offering all the facilities you need, along with very helpful staff. Booked a fantastic tour through this hostel too!

This hostel was good. The beds were comfy enough, showers were hot, breakfast was your standard basic hostel breakfast, staff were friendly and eager to help and the communal area was good. The staff also booked our river safari for us for a great budget price which was amazing! The location is also great, being a 5 minute walk from the harbourside restaurants and from all the shops and bus stop to Sepilok. Only down side was wifi was very weak in our room, but overall great stay!

The place is squeaky clean. Location is in centre of town but most of the sights are a distance away. Overall, it was good.

We loved it here, really clean. Bathrooms were nice beds a little squeaky but it was ok. Could have lockers in the rooms but otherwise security was good.

i enjoyed my stay here. Close to the harbour, but there's not a lot to do or see in the area unless you get a bus or taxi. very clean and comfortable. There's a great little common room with a TV, lots of dvds to choose from and two PCs but its quite quiet.

Nice hostel in Sandakan; very helpful staff (thanks for checking on the 1-day Kinabatangan trip for me); located right in the center. Not much of a backpacker vibe though. One improvement: Would be great if you had motorbikes for rental; there's a lot of demand from tourists who want to go to Sepilok, and it would be another source of income for you.

Nice hostel, great location with everything you could need within a short walking distance. Would definitely recommend.

This hostel is managed very well.

Good location near the sea front and close to the minibus station to get to Sepilok. The hostel lacked atmosphere and personality which is a shame as they had some lovely common spaces. Bedrooms are basic and again lacking personality, a couple of pictures on the wall would be nice!

Suberb, especially compared to other hostels I heard about from travellers.